The Corroboree
Plexus Vagus

Entada Rheedii Info

Just wondering if anyone has info or experience with Entada Rheedii? It's a big woody nut used as a dream inducer in Africa and it's wild in Queensland.

I think our native matchbox bean is Entada Phaseoloides, is it also oneirogenic? Can you find Rheedii wild? has anyone used rheedii/know where to find it?

E.Phas nuts have been eaten in Aus for a long time here but always mashed and cooked for ages, maybe its dream inducing potential was missed/undesired?

I looked into it a way back...I don't really know re:experiences but I always found the plant to have a really poetic sort of imagery to it - the beans start their lives by leaving their homes and falling into rivers and streams, eventually floating out to sea and drifting about for years. They've spread all across the world drifting on the tides. Some will never find another shore...

So one day, when I see a bunch of them sitting in the sand at a beach, I'm of a mind to pick one up and keep it with me as a sort of keepsake prayer for those people adrift in the world. If a floating dream-seed from thousands of miles away can manage it, maybe the dream is not lost for us all to find safe shores of our own. A new place to call home and grow.

• Like 4

A beautiful way of looking at it, I know of many people who wear the seed around their necks for the aesthetic, knowing their journey certainly adds some poetic significance. The husk also makes excellent bush lockets.

• Like 1

I find them from time to time and know where one large vine is growing. Also been pretty curious about the similarities to rheedii, as well as having a go at rendering them edible.
For now though, I just like to make myself necklaces and earrings with them. Big and shiny, very pretty!

On 5/22/2014 at 8:17 AM, Wameron36 said:

I find them from time to time and know where one large vine is growing. Also been pretty curious about the similarities to rheedii, as well as having a go at rendering them edible.

For now though, I just like to make myself necklaces and earrings with them. Big and shiny, very pretty!

Hello Wameron,

Would you please share where you have seen one growing?  I would to see a vine in the wild so I can more easily spot it in the future!

Thanks,

Twiggy

On 4/23/2014 at 9:06 PM, Plexus Vagus said:

Just wondering if anyone has info or experience with Entada Rheedii? It's a big woody nut used as a dream inducer in Africa and it's wild in Queensland.

I think our native matchbox bean is Entada Phaseoloides, is it also oneirogenic? Can you find Rheedii wild? has anyone used rheedii/know where to find it?

E.Phas nuts have been eaten in Aus for a long time here but always mashed and cooked for ages, maybe its dream inducing potential was missed/undesired?

Hi Plexus Vagus,

on some websites it does say that Entada phasceoloides is what grows around Cooktown, FNQ.  I know Entada rheedi travels the world and would love to know how to identify the difference between the two species-  or if they are just synonyms.

Fair Dinkum seeds where I got my recent seed from calls the one I ordered:  Entada  rheedii  phasceoloides   !!!   So they may be good to ask...

https://fairdinkumseeds.com/products-page/ethnobotanical-or-medicinal-plants/african-dream-bean-entada-rheedi-phaseoloides-seed/