The Corroboree
Philocacti

Ariocarpus fruit ????

So I'm hoping these are fruits or seed pods on my Ariocarpus fissuratus.

So how do I harvest them?

I tried picking them like lophophora fruits but their hard as rock, they don't move. Do I give them a couple of days and try again?

post-6382-0-09443900-1397912261_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-09443900-1397912261_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-09443900-1397912261_thumb.jpg

leave them alone & find something else to pick on. :wink:

respect the fact that plants have a growth cycle of their own choosing and will present you with its seeds when they're ready to be harvested.

• Like 2

I can easily do that ....... hope the rat on my roof and the ants can wait as well

Are ariocarpus self fertile?

I was told they are, but in my experience. 2 years ago only 1 flowered and it never produced a fruit. Next season (6 months ago) 3 flowered at the same time and I hand pollinated them and only this one is producing fruit (yet)

• Like 1

One of my grafted Arios Flowered last season and 2 out of 3 blooms produced fruits... they're still stuck on there too...

nothing else would have pollinated unless they can cross with turbs so I guess this one is self fertile

• Like 2

Nice.

To clarify, I didn't mean it to sound that they're not. I was just saying my experience ;)

Interesting maybe they just need a little help to fertilise themselves? I just grafted a few ariocarpus Godzilla seedlings today and am looking forward to producing some seed to share around :)

• Like 1

I've noticed that most of my lophophoras when they first produce their first flower it doesn't produce a fruit, usually by the second or third set of flowers ;)

So maybe ariocarpus is the same

• Like 1

Hum, do the fruits develop internally like Lophophora and pop out when ripe? Or do they grow on the outside and ripen over time? I would have though the former due to their relationship to Lophophora, but I don't grow any and haven't really followed the genus from a botanical point of view. I'd love to know.

~Michael~

• Like 1

Hum, do the fruits develop internally like Lophophora and pop out when ripe? I'd love to know.

~Michael~

In my experience, yes.

In the case of lophs, fruits can appear within weeks or less from a flower, whereas with arios, fruits may take a year or more to fully ripen, especially on larger, older plants. For flat mature ario fissuratus types where the entire center becomes one big nest of wool, its doubtful you'll ever visibly see the fruit as it will remain buried in the wool.

Lophs flower numerous times throughout their growing season, thus their flower to fruit cycle is much shorter than an ario, which typically flowers once per season.

Zelly this one flowered last October and the fruits are starting to appear. Does this mean that they'll fully pop out in another 6 months?

Or did the hot weather here speed things up??

Philo- the mere fact for grafting sped things up considerably.

the thing with ario fruits is they tend to be completely dried by the time its harvest time & there's a good chance you end up plucking the seeds one by one.

• Like 1

How many seeds does 1 ariocarpus fruit usually contain?

varies, 20-50

• Like 2

Today I harvested my first fruit

Out of 4 fruits this one popped out, but I must say I find it more tender than Lophophora fruits.

I got 24 seeds, plus I lost 5 or so in the tufts

post-6382-0-05578800-1399698968_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-05578800-1399698968_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-05578800-1399698968_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I got 19 seeds off of the 2nd fruit

I'll add that the fruit is not more delicate than of lophophora except from the base

I read that ario produce 50+ seeds per fruit! is that true?

3 flowered at the same time and I hand pollinated them and only this one is producing fruit (yet)

Were all 3 A. fissuratus or are these hybrid seeds? Nice haul either way :)

How old is your grafted plant?

One of my grafted Arios Flowered last season and 2 out of 3 blooms produced fruits... they're still stuck on there too...

nothing else would have pollinated unless they can cross with turbs so I guess this one is self fertile

What species of ariocarpus was this? Just curious

They're all A. fissuratus

1 was grafted 5 years ago to pereskiopsis for a year then to myrtillocactus, but thus one didn't set any fruits (yet).

Another was grafted to pereskiopsis (still is) on pereskiopsis 3 years ago

3rd one was grafted 3 years to pereskiopsis for a year then to Stenocereus, this one produced the most flowers (4 flowers) and made fruits. I'm guessing that Stenocereus is so robust as a stock that's why this one is more "productive".

Good job Philo. I get between 20 and 60 seeds per Ario fruit. The older and more mature the plant is, generally, you get more seed.

I find grafted plants will produce less seed in the beginning but more after a few years.

• Like 1