The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
InnerPathsToOuterSpace

Just received cuttings from SAB, how long until transplant?

Hi all, sorry if this is an obvious question but the SAB webstore is down so I couldn't look up the information on there and a search on the corroboree forum didn't really give me any solid answers either.

I just received two small plants from SAB this morning in the mail, a banisteriopsis caapi and psychotria viridis plant, both packaged well and in great condition. I'm just not sure how long I should wait to transplant them into bigger pots?

I gave them a good mist of the top soil and leaves once I unpacked them and chucked them into my small indoor greenhouse which is reading at 26 degrees celsius and around 70-80% relative humidity on my digital humidity/temp gauge.

with the caapi i would just plant it straight away in as big a pot as you have until you plan on putting it into the ground or somewhere more permanent. Caapi are strong as hell in regards to abuse, the amount of times i thought mine was dead after heavy rainfall or to much sun and then to have it shoot back up is amazing. as for the psychotria I honestly can't comment as i've ended killing the few i had growing :( either way good luck mate

Thanks for the feedback newageshaman. I'll get onto repotting them in the next couple of days. I've got the flu at the moment, it sucks and I have no energy.

I had to throw out my potting mixes I had because I forgot to close them off after potting up a cutting last week. When I came back to the open bags later in the day they were invaded by tonnes of fungus gnats so I had to turf them. Off to bunnings I go when i feel a bit better.

I'm guessing a few days in the little pots they were sent in shouldn't harm them at all?

i don't think leaving them for a few days will impact them to much, just water when needed

I wouldn't be in a great rush to re-pot the caapi unless it seems rootbound. If you plant caapi in a pot too large for its state of development then the soil can stay too wet for too long and slow its growth.

Standard nursery practice is to go up one or two pot sizes at a time to keep the wet dry cycle in scale with the transpiration of the plant. Some more weedy plants aren't as fussy and can go straight into a big pot but you will do a lot of plants a disservice if you plant them in too big of a pot too soon.

• Like 1

that probably why i thought my caapi had died when it took a while to start putting on new growth :/ thats what happens when you jump the gun and put a small plant in a 30l pot :P

Edited by newageshaman

Great advice, thanks guys.

On a side note, any personal recommendations for a good soil medium for these two?

I usually go for a mix of standard potting mix, some cactus mix for quicker drying and aeration as well as a decent amount of perlite but these two species like the soil relatively moist right?