The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Need a new job - any ideas

I need a new job i think. Time for a change. Any ideas? Something rewarding and not cut-throat/corporate would be the go.

• Like 1

I went from soul crushing corporate/retail roles to disability caring and wouldn't even want my enemy's breathing the air I left behind! Doubled the income, doubled my free time, doubled my life expectancy!

• Like 2

Disability support can be a great option! It has been possibly the best job I've ever had :-) I have grown heaps within myself and I think it helps weed out the able bodied bullshitters also lol you know, the ones who complain they have nothing to do or can't do it,,, bullshit! I could go on but if you have patience I'd recommend looking into the disabled support sector.

I need a new job i think. Time for a change. Any ideas? Something rewarding and not cut-throat/corporate would be the go.

I have been thin king exactly the same thing. and actually about some kind of community based work. vulnerable people kind of stuff.

Edit: I'm actually hours away from finishing an application for another job. ( which has nothing to do with community and vulnerable people :) )

Edited by watertrade

Just relocated to alice springs and left behind a stressful, corporate job that required me to give most of my time and energy to something I didn't care about one bit. Have been looking at disability support roles here as there seems to be lots of them and even the thought of doing it gets me emotional, so I'd imagine its a very rewarding job. Here's to no longer contributing to the big machine and doing something useful for others!

I've done disability support work, the job also attracts some pretty safistic manipulative assholes!

I'm really thinking hard about becoming an ambo, I'm seriously considering being a volunteer ambo in my home town and doing the paramedic course through uni next semester.

• Like 2

I've done disability support work, the job also attracts some pretty safistic manipulative assholes!

Oh yeh! That's the hardest part of the job, the actual care side is easy!

One day I'm giving enemas the next I'm on an all expenses paid picnic 3hrs away! I'm lucky my clients love the bush and plants so the community participation part is the best part for me. I had a troop of 3 help me with the oxalis population in my beds a few days, best workers ever!

This year we'll be entering the biggest pumpkin comp too ;)

• Like 1

If I ever get motivated to further my study, incog is right about being an ambo. It'd be a step up for me personally from disability work, I'd enjoy the pressure and high workloads but my life isn't ready for a commitment like that yet!

Gimp....nah seriously Zen...what takes your fancy?

Thats the first place to start I reckon :wink:

• Like 2

Impossible to answer that without knowing about your strengths. What are you particularly good at?

Edited by Evil Genius

Gimp....nah seriously Zen...what takes your fancy?

Thats the first place to start I reckon :wink:

o yeah gimp i reckon that it would pay really well lol www. gimppeddlermybluezenmeanie.com.au

• Like 1

I've got a meeting with the local paramedic at the ambo station this sat to talk about being an ambo and talk about being a volunteer, he's heaps keen for me to volunteer as their is a shortage.

I'm starting to get that tingling feeling that this is the right direction.

In turning 37 :0 in December now and I feel it's a make or break age in getting a decent paid career going. I've worked pretty much every job imaginable, got a degree in social work, most jobs I've had I'm pretty much over at the 2 yr mark (which is where I'm at at present)

Being an ambo sounds exciting, well paid with awesome amounts of time of (10 weeks a year, 4 days on, 4 days off) downside is the traumatising things u would see, have to deal with, but hey I've had to see and deal with traumatising shit in my lifetime and I'm still kicking. I do genuinely like people and get a kick out of helping people.

BM have you thought about doing something with funghi? That appears to be your passion?

Edited by incognito

Yeah priotise I found the care part easy, I was working with some quite twisted people (care workers) the shouldn't have been within 20ks of a disability support service. As soon as I started challenging the workers on their methods I soon found myself on the outer. I guess it all depends on the quality of the organisation you are working for. Loved my time in disability services, included a stint caring for a very challenging client in the "swine flu" ward in a hospital during that so called epidemic. Was surrounded by swine flu suspected patients, was cleaning up diahorea and spew being coughed all over and never got a sniffle.

Even the nurses thought the swine flu thing was a crock of media bullshit.

"I do genuinely like people and get a kick out of helping people."

It's bizarre isn't it, actually feeling good at the end of a shift and wondering where the "pill" like energy is coming from ;)

Ambo's are fricken legends. i wish i could say otherwise but i don't think i could do it. a good mate of mine has also recently decided to take that road. i say go for it incog, i have nothing but the highest respect for those guys & gals..

sorry, don't think i can help zen, what are you good at? what do you love? apart from just surviving & getting by i'm a firm believer you should spend your life doing what you love & the importance of 'right livelihood' can't really be overstated

Ambos are - ovrerworked, underpaid and managed by people always trying to get more out of them for less - exactly the kind of environment I want to get away from.

I was think indigenous affairs or councilling maybe? Making a difference that can't be measured in widgets.

Ufo spotter?

I've worked solidly full time for the same company (other than a career break to live in Taiwan) and I'm just burnt out completely.