The Corroboree
GregKasarik

Bicycle Day, Tripping on the Steps of Parliament House and My Imminent Arrest.

However I would counter with a win for cannabis legalisation would be a victory for evidence based drug policy.

Hmm...maybe. Or it could be a cynical ploy to win the favour of voters, or allow their business pals to corner the regulated-weed market. Not that pot-legalisation and evidence-based drug policy can't co-exist, and the latter should definitely imply the former... but the reverse is not true.

Add to that that cannabis has over 50% of the population ...We need a larger experience base in the population before anything will change for psychedelics.

This is part of the problem as I see it - that drug law reform is/will be a popularity contest. Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy if pot is legalised - I'm happy when any group of people stops persecuting another for doing something harmless. And I agree that this is the most likely path toward positive change - getting Miley Cyrus to tweet about psilocybin one time will probably do more to further the cause of psychedelics than anything we'll do in our entire lifetimes. I do accept this as reality. I still think it's fucked.

I mean would any of you actually feel that society is fixed if, in an act of pacification or to serve some hidden nefarious purpose drug law reform occurred?  I didn't think so.

Well no, but then again, how would we know? It's the kind of thing it would be difficult to spot at the time. And also why I think marijuana legalisation may not necessarily be the win it would appear on the surface.

For instance, the popular five star movement in Italy is seeking direct democracy.  That will have its hurdles but can you imagine?

I can. Though since what I'm imagining is essentially reality-TV-government, perhaps that wasn't quite what you meant? Direct democracy as I imagine it (at least as it has been explained to me) is not a system where an unsympathetic minority group would be in a better position than they are now. Right now we might only have to convince a few key people to make changes - no easy feat, for sure. But probably easier than convincing 15 million stubborn Aussies that they're wrong?

As to whether cannabis legalisation will lead to a greater chance of psychedelic legalisation - I think it's too soon to tell. Most people seem to think that it can't hurt

It might help, it might hinder, it mightn't make much difference either way. It depends alot on how it's done, and why. Reform for the wrong reasons, even if there are some short-term positives, could end up with the same bullshit, or even a worse situation than we have now. Buchanan explains all this better than I have.

Sorry if I'm coming across negative about this, I don't mean to piss on anyones hypothetical future parade here. I just think that cheering pot reform on, oblivious of the context, under the assumption that what's good for one group of drug-users will be good for another... is flawed. I think me & TI may have some differences of opinion on politics, but I agree with his point that we should be thinking bigger. Drug law doesn't exist in a vacuum, and if we try to make changes without considering that bigger picture, we may miss an opportunity for broader or lasting change.

• Like 1

But this is all philosophical nitpicking really. At the end of the day I log on here and see all you degenerates having discussions & helping each other out... youse are all fucking wonderful. Maybe one day we'll live in a society that recognises that & stops criminalising our interests, and that'd be rad. But even if that never happens, I'm glad we have our own little shadow-version of that dream right here. So thanks all, for being you, and being here. Love yas :wub:

• Like 9