The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Bowser

Unique or interesting cacti for hanging baskets

Hey,

I'm looking for some suggestions for cacti that would do well in a hanging basket. I've got a bunch 6+ of ceiling mounted hooks by windows in nearly every room of the house and want some unique and interesting cacti that will flow down over the edges of the basket. Most are brightly lit with most of the light being indirect. Cacti that flower easily indoors are also a plus, although this is only a secondary consideration.

So far on my list I've got:

Selenicereus Anthonyanus (Fishbone Cactus) and other species, like Mutant's Selenicereus (forget the species) that is really cool

Hylocereus Undatus (Dragon Fruit) and other similar hylocereus (already have these)

Schlumbergera (Christmas Cactus ... not especially unique or interesting to me :blink: )

I've seen in a cactus species reference book a long time ago, what looked like hanging cacti that had wooly looking spines that covered most of the skin of the cactus. They looked kind of like dreadlocks. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

Some of my favorites would include Disocactus flagelliformis, Selenicereus anthonyanus, Selenicereus chrysocardium, Epiphyllum anguliger, Pseudorhipsalis ramulosa. Just a few more interesting ones, but most of the Disocactus, Rhipsalis, Selenicereus and Epiphyllum genera are good hangers!

• Like 1

not a cactus but kanna grows quickly and very lush in such conditions. will still flower for you also.

Oh yeah, kanna is great!

Ceropegia woodii and some other Ceropegia species can look very nice hanging from the ceiling as well. And C. woodii tubers are great for grafting Pseudolithos, Stapelia and such.

Zygocactus grows well in hanging baskets :) The flowers are breathtaking.

• Like 1

My favorite for baskets...Echinocereus scheeri ssp. gentryi.

post-19-0-86693100-1395963274_thumb.jpg

One going up, one going down.

post-19-0-74932200-1395963568_thumb.jpg

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith
  • Like 6

M S Smith, that's awesome, I'm going to have try and track one of those down too!

BTW, cheers for all your cactus contributions and pics that I've seen over the years. :)

My favorite for baskets...Echinocereus scheeri ssp. gentryi.

attachicon.gifEchinocereus scheeri ssp. gentryi.jpg

One going up, one going down.

attachicon.gifEchinocereus scheeri ssp. gentryi 2.jpg

~Michael~

Dude. I actually have some E. pentalophus "white dove" x E. scheeri "gentry" seeds. I planted a couple and got 2 variegates, 1 albino, and 1 normal. I can't wait to see them when they're mature. Going to be sweet. I grafted the albino one.

Thanks for sharing MSSmith!

Last year at a corporate store I passed up a bunch of mislabeled cactus with a similar resemblance towards a young enchinocereus scheeri . That is a truly remarkable plant once it reaches maturity.