The Corroboree
morpheus

Greetings ..!

I just wanted to make my first post and introduce myself. I have been growing various ethno's for around 10 years. I am a Horticulturist and a greenie at heart. I have worked a lot with our native flora, such as identifying and eradicating noxious weeds and WONS listed plants in various locations, mainly on the East Coast NSW as I live on The Central Coast. I have a beautiful free flighted parrot, who is 12 years old, who regularly flies outside, but he is a little bit scared of other bigger birds, so he always stays close to me .

Look forward to many more posts..

M

• Like 2

I also have a couple of pereskiopsis.d and Psychotria.n plants , I will b putting these and maybe a few others on the trading thread ASAP

M

Welcome morpheus,

Have you found Neo yet?

Sounds like you have been into ethno plants for a while, I am sure you will love it here.

What kind of parrot have you got?

Cheers

Jox

I found neo, but he ate all the pills .. Thx for the welcome Jox . My parrot is a Jenday Conure.

M

• Like 1

Hey mate, Great to hear about your horticultural knowledge. Something I hope to improve. Your parrot sounds cool I looked them up and they are awesome! Birds are my favorite animals but I have never owned a parrot. I have had many budgies. One was tame enough to let outside to fly. The others I have owned just fly around my house when they aren't too lazy!

They are awesome little Animals, I had no idea how much he would enrich my life, so it's only fair I do the same for him. Taking them outside for a fly around is a lot easier than most people think. It's really just a matter of trust, if you have a happy bird he won't want to fly away. There's been a couple close calls with magpies and minor birds, so he has become very cautious of other birds, which is good. budgies are still parrots, I had one when I was about 12, they are clever little birds which is why it's sad to see so many birds sitting alone, bored and probably malnourished because people still feed them seed....

M

Yeah it doesn't take much effort to give them a good diet. After preparing their food which consists of a huge assortment of selected ingredients it just gets frozen in ice cubes stored in an airtight container.

Its funny, they have unique personalities. One was fine to take outside. You could get his attention if ever ventured to far and he would return. The one I have at the moment while tame is not as adventurous and would be easily startled outside so im not sure I could get him back. Parrots can be bit more predictable once well trained I guess. Parakeets being smaller are sometimes more easily frightened and a little less compliant to training so I wouldn't recommend it to someone who was unsure.

Like you they bring much joy to my life. I only own them because they are already bred and condemned to being owned as a pet. I really wish ownership of animals was outlawed or at minimum heavily restricted.