The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-RC-

Acuminata in SE QLD?

Hi all,

just wondering if it would be possible, or if anyone has had success, growing an acacia acuminata on the Sunshine Coast.

I remember reading something about rainfall, can't remember if they need not too much or a lot though. :huh:

Obviously if they need minimal it would pose a problem...

Cheers.

Edited by Responsible Choice

They should grow fine. Just plant them in a well draining potting mix and make sure they receive plenty of direct sunlight (6+ hours)

It's humidity they don't particularly appreciate.

• Like 1

Have a couple of sml plants in woodford region. Still in pots but seem to do best in semi shade where they can get morning - noon sun.

• Like 2

They should grow fine. Just plant them in a well draining potting mix and make sure they receive plenty of direct sunlight (6+ hours)

It's humidity they don't particularly appreciate.

I guess when they're a little larger they will deal with the full sun well though ;)

I guess when they're a little larger they will deal with the full sun well though ;)

I have germianted over 40 of them in full sunlight. As long as the soil is kept moist, they grow better than in part shade.

My most mature acuminata's are 6 months old and I haven't seen anyone elses grow as quick. The soil can be allowed to dry out once the plant drops most of its juvenile leaves.

post-14533-0-83236400-1396312230_thumb.p

post-14533-0-83236400-1396312230_thumb.png

post-14533-0-83236400-1396312230_thumb.png

Edited by OneEyeAscension
  • Like 1

Hey RC.

Ive found that acacia burkittii grow better than acuminata. Its an old name but from what ive read is more of a shrub version of the acuminata. Same properties from philodes. I only have small example but is easier and much more eager to develop than acuminata...

Anyway. Just an input. I have both seeds and seedlings to satisfy your interest :)

• Like 1

Sounds good. I'll just have to get my act together over the next few weeks, and I might be able to make it down mate :wink:

Scored some acuminata and floribunda seeds. Time to get my gardening gloves on :wink:

• Like 1