The Corroboree
illogicalBrew

Prune Khat

Looks red to me.

Also I'd leave it be unless you desperate for some clones.

Edited by Pie'oh'Pah

Thanks for that. Yes sold to me as a narrow. Took it at face value initially, now sceptica seeing it growl.

I did pull four suckers from the base, none of which I have managed to kill yet.

Edited by illogicalBrew

It's a hybrid, proper red khat is RED, like some kind of candy.

If you want it to grow tall, keep pinching out the axillary buds to force all the growth to go to the top; however these plants are very capable of growing too fast for the stem and/or roots to support, so be mindful. If you want it to become a bush, do the opposite (pinch out the top buds).

I would say that is a cross between red and narrow leaf

Looks like a pink or green/white to me. I never can tell exactly which one, but it looks like the "other" broad leaf that's not the red.

I reckon that a pruned plant is better because you get lot's more nice juice young shoots, and I think the yield is probably increased a bit by encouraging that new growth.

So you should prune the fuck out of it, with your teeth.

• Like 3

I would say that is a cross between red and narrow leaf

me thinks it's not a red x nl cross, as that one is still very rare, here some pics, featuring a red nl!

red broad leaved compared to red narrow leaved.

post-70-0-29281600-1395624636_thumb.jpg

I grew hundreds of seedlings, and selected only two plants, this is one of them, a red nl.

post-70-0-68611600-1395624792_thumb.jpg

as people said the color changes depending on the season and the amount of rain the plant received.

this means that even the normal, and quite common narrow leaved Catha can get a some nuances of "reddish". this happens if they experience stress and drought.

paradoxicly, the veins and whole (young!!) leaves, do get more reddish if, extremely happy (when the plant experiences ideal conditions).

the stress related "reddish", is easy to distinguish from the ideal condition "reddish" as it's a vibrant colour and glossy, and the plant looks lush.

the stress related "reddish", has no gloss, and the whole plant looks a bit wilted...

red_vs_red_nl.JPG

red_nl.JPG

red_vs_red_nl.JPG

red_nl.JPG

• Like 3

Very nice photos plant helper. I guessed it might be red x narrow leaf because I have one I got labled as pink khat, but the leaves on my pink khat are alot wider than the ones in this pic. But I am sure you know a whole lot more than I do :)

once people started growing qat from seed, the whole iding thing got a bit more complicated, as it produced many small variations... the term pink, often means it's a seedling, obtained from various parents.

back to topic, once qat has reached human size, pruning is adviceable, because the young re growth, is the prize, it as well make the plants easy to reach and care for.

Depending on where you live and what animals you have nearby the decision may be made for you. I was trying to get one to grow a bit taller but the guard was blown off in a heavy wind and the kangaroos/ rabbits ate it down to ground level. Luckily there was enough for the plant to re-sprout and the once single trunk has now become 6ish and protected by a 44 gallon drum with the ends cut out and cut in half.

The plant had received excellent conditions prior to being munched and was displaying the glossy red tinged leaves mentioned earlier. Apparently many animals like this one.

Thanks PH and others. I'll wait a little longer before pruning. Out of curiosity, how is pruning best done?

Admittedly, it's been dry for a while when I took the photo. Lots of rain recently so will look for a colour change.

I do have a red which is obviously more candy red.

Evident in the suckers I pulled a couple months back.

Foreground: narrow leaf in question sucker, mother in original picture above

Background: red sucker

post-11488-0-61502700-1395927833_thumb.j

post-11488-0-61502700-1395927833_thumb.jpg

post-11488-0-61502700-1395927833_thumb.jpg

Edited by illogicalBrew

It looks a good healthy plant. I have been trying to grow catha from seeds the past few years, only 1 has survived, its 3 years old this year and is becoming more red and when it gets plenty of sun it puts out a lovely smell i dont know what strain it is because i baught the seeds online and it didnt state the strain. I would also like some info on how to prune it.Im growing it in a pot because where i live it gets cold and frost etc

what is the life of the catha seeds, one year?

if you store them badly, like in a room which get's hot, than germ rates will drop after a year.

if fresh seed is stored, inside the fridge, they don't loose much viability, even after 5 years or more!

Any time frame on flower to seed set? Have read in literature its around 3-4months, Ph has a lot of flowers atm was hoping to get some seed to grow this summer :)

i never took notes, but i guess your estimate is correct.

i found out, that it totally depends on the weather, to get flowers and fruits.

without rain, no fruits will be produced, but if the plant is happy, it produces an abundance of seeds.

Edited by planthelper

Thanks PH!

They've just started flowering, ill keep the water up so i can hopefully get some fruit. its kinda hard to guess especially if you leave them in the ground down here how much rain water they will get, usually a decent amount at the end of winter / start of spring ( around about now till end of sep ) which will flower but probably not enough for them to fruit - not that most plants in gardens will suffer from lack of water unless left to their own devices.

Ill post again and note how long its taken from flower opening to fruit set for here in sa, perhaps might be of interest to others.

• Like 1

My ph is in flower too ATM. Sets seed easily, where as my narrow does not. Fruits should be open dec/jan from memory. The narrow and red is also flowering too atm. I have to dig them up and move them though. I am leaving the large ph behind as it is wayyyyyy too big to dig up. I have other ph plants so I'll leave the mum behind in hope it goes on to live a long life.