The Corroboree
-RC-

Psilocybin Mushrooms of SE QLD, Australia

I love following this thread, you look like you're having a ball RC.!

• Like 1

I reckon the abundance will soon peter out if you are starting to feel this cold. Although there can be the isolated fruitings right through the winter in particular spots, such as where cows graze amongst gum trees with streams and clumps of grass. It would be interesting to monitor numbers in different months of the year for a variety of locations and see how it changes over the years. I did this a few years back and found at least one specimen in all the months of the year, around 2008/2009.

• Like 2

So what kind of temps would see them really easing up? Sub 20's?

As I say with more decent rain coming over the next 4 - 5 days I'm anticipating Sunday/Monday should see a bit of a resurgence, particularly in areas that have frequent grazing and cow traffic, combined with shade until afternoon. They seem to like camphorlaurels for some reason. :huh:

I'd just like to take this opportunity to give thanks to Sister Rain. Without you we would not be.

Edited by Responsible Choice
just looking
  • Like 2

I saw about a third of yesterday's sightings, but hey, I can't complain :wink:

just browsing the paddocks yo

Afternoon stroll and look provided lots to look at...

visual inspection
  • Like 1

Cyans are on the comeback people. Get out there and check it out! :wink:

After two months I reckon the season is winding down. :huh:

It's been awesome though. Thanks to the mushroom, the cows, mother earth and sister rain. :)

If you live in the right part of se QLD a new season is just starting :wink:! I was looking at cyans last week & today I found the first subs of the season!!!

Here are a few photos

post-11291-0-43761700-1400809883_thumb.j post-11291-0-05470200-1400809832_thumb.j

post-11291-0-61293700-1400809903_thumb.j post-11291-0-27013800-1400809857_thumb.j

post-11291-0-88700200-1400809811_thumb.j post-11291-0-00425400-1400809919_thumb.j

Cheers

Jox

post-11291-0-88700200-1400809811_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-05470200-1400809832_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-27013800-1400809857_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-43761700-1400809883_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-61293700-1400809903_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-00425400-1400809919_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-88700200-1400809811_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-05470200-1400809832_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-27013800-1400809857_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-43761700-1400809883_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-61293700-1400809903_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-00425400-1400809919_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

^^ Wow - what elevation? How close to the coast?

• Like 1

Hey tarenna, they are being found just over 500m elevation & about 30km from the coast. Last week we had some very cold nights, 3 degrees. They have started a month earlier than last year.

Cheers

Jox

Thanks for that - most interesting. Great work..

I stand corrected. Cubes on the downhill, cyans and subs on the up! :lol:

and I best correct myself. :blush:

Rain = cubes and cyans on the up... again :lol:

I love you Sunshine Coast :wub:

Wow I thought cubes would be well over I only got a handful this year. Where are ppl finding subs on the sunny coast? I didn't think they grew this far north.

Wow I thought cubes would be well over I only got a handful this year. Where are ppl finding subs on the sunny coast? I didn't think they grew this far north.

I find them down near the goldy mate

Cheers

Jox

• Like 1

Sunshine Coast Hinterland = cube paradise.

Just add rain, and because of the stack of heavy dews we are getting, and the super late start to the wet season, they are still poppin, but now with 80% more cyanscens.

Follow the poo :wink:

At the request of a fellow SABer I have bumped this thread and listed a couple of useful hints as far as wild finds go on the Sunny Coast.

NOTE: This may or may not apply to any other parts of SE QLD.

In my limited experience first flushes won't occur unless the following criteria are met:

• Base soil temps of 26C plus.
  • 80% humidity or more (ideally 100%) combined with AT LEAST 50 - 100 mm of rain in a 24 hour period (the more the better)
  • Regular decent rainfall following significant falls with humidity remaining 75% or more
  • Grassy pastures that are super green
  • HEAPS 'o COW POO

If you find yourself in the right place at the right time, with the above conditions having occurred within the last few days, try to look for the following environments:

• grazing land with good sized herds of beef cattle (20+)
  • gently sloping/rolling hills with heavily treed fence lines (camphors seem to be pretty good)
  • areas where cattle regularly gather, either to wait for feeding or to be lead into another pasture.
  • south facing slopes, or pastures that only get morning or afternoon sun
  • reasonably long grass - tufty or not (recently heavily grazed pastures are usually stomped and the poo is too fresh)
  • shady copses and/or streams rivers that run through/alongside said pastures

Cyans tend to flush first, but can prove difficult to ID, despite the fact that some believe they bruise blue instantly - THEY DON'T NECESSARILY. Pinch a stem and check it again after 5 mins or so to check for inking. Alternatively leave them alone until they age a day (unless it is 40C in full sun, because they will be fried), in which case they take on a bluish tinge anyway. Black spore prints are easy to obtain by putting a cap gills down on paper overnight with a glass jar over it.

Cubes flush later and have a MUCH longer run generally, although cyans can flush again, but half-heartedly in my experience. ID cubes by looking for the very quick on set of blue-green staining of broken stems, and the beautiful orange to golden yellow cap. Be wary though, I have spotted a couple of imposters which I really should've taken a pic of. Heavy dews will keep them popping up in the absence of rain. Deep purple spore print.

If you must remove a sample do so with a sharp knife or scissors, as this increases the likelihood of repeat fruiting.

Watch out for bulls and quad bike riding, banjo-playing, shotgun-wielding farmers. :blink:

Lastly, on the topic of ID'ing, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE GOOD PHOTOS AND A SPORE PRINT TO OFFER UP ON THE FORUM FOR SOME SOLID IDs.

Hope that helps mate, and please feel free to add/contradict/troll this post to further aid fellow fungal foragers. :wink:

• Like 4

Nice right up rc.

Anyone finding any yet?

I was thinking of going for a stroll the other day but I think its been far to dry... definitely warm enough though.

• Like 2

That is a good wright up rc, it pretty much sums up the run around the goldy to mate :wink:.

I have not been for a walk yet as I know it is still to dry to find any decent finds, we have had a few showers but it has not even been enough to green up the grass.

Does anyone know how to do a rain dance? We really need the summer rains to kick in :BANGHEAD2:.

• Like 1

Yeah man so dry on the sunny coast.... we had maybe enough rain to get a couple pop up last week but haven't had a look. Supposed to get some rain next week though hopefully.

• Like 1

^ Not enough by far though.

Just as an aside to the earlier tips:

If you come across pins, and there is more rain coming, or the weather is relatively mild, leave them a day or two to open fully. If they don't you can always come back because they seem to hold a bit more moisture than full caps :wink:

just got fuck it

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

Is montville a good place to start my journey?.. Complete novice here.

I reckon montville would be a great place to start. From my experience they are plentiful anywhere from nth nsw to Fraser coast hinterland areas in right conditions... Happy hunting