The Corroboree

Disease killing my cacti population

Hey guys 70%+ of my cacti population has this disease. It looks like a white moist dust stuck to the cacti skin which blocks light absobtion?

Has anybody dealt with this before? Any advice on what to do?

I'll really appreciate any help on this one.

Cheers

post-11131-0-87298600-1395450091_thumb.j

post-11131-0-87298600-1395450091_thumb.jpg

post-11131-0-87298600-1395450091_thumb.jpg

Edited by 8145

Eddited spelling mostakes ;).

That looks like scale to me. I would treat with a systemic insecticide ASAP and take a tooth brush to the plant. You may want to see what others have to say first before treating.

Edited by hostilis

That looks like scale to me. I would treat with a systemic insecticide ASAP and take a tooth brush to the plant. You may want to see what others have to say first before treating.

Whats scale where is it from ?

Cheers mate

Looks nasty, I would also isolate the affected plants form the rest of your collection.

• Like 1

I go for scale too....the worse I've seen........little buggers.........I'd take a mild mix of a few squirts of dish washing liquid (just to get through their waxy bodies), mixed into a small bucket off luke warm water........and a paint brush.....they should wash of that way.....................

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 1

I think you may have a little bit of cactus on your scale bugs.

• Like 4

Looks nasty, I would also isolate the affected plants form the rest of your collection.

I second this get the healthy ones quarantined ASAP

• Like 1

Thats gonna leave some major damage.

Yes this is scale and yes it´s massive. It´s a bug; please google it. Don´t even start brushing. I would nuke them with Imidacloprid.

• Like 1

If you lived in a desert I would say put them outside ASAP!

Cooler, humid conditions especially indoors / greenhouse with lower light levels are a major problem.

Chemicals are never a permanent solution.

Perhaps stick with HID lighting like MH - the plants will appreciate the light and warmth.

Ok I nuked them with Imidacloprid then did some massive scrubbing and now it is looking better but I still got some work to do.

Will post pics after the second round of nuking and scrubbing.

Thanks for the tips guys

• Like 2

I feel your pain mate, scale is a bitch.

Out of curiosity, is that a particular clone in the picture? I have something similar I'm trying to ID.

I feel your pain mate, scale is a bitch.

Out of curiosity, is that a particular clone in the picture? I have something similar I'm trying to ID.

Nope it is just a Pedro with 2 big pups almast as bit qs the original.

You know the scale only got my Pedros and completely ignore the other cacti (pedros cousins). So strange. ..

Yeah for some reason scale prefers certain species. I recently found a bunch of seedlings in my greenhouse that were covered in scale (and pretty much dead - chlorophyll sucked out) and they were all from the same seed batch. Funny thing is that they were spread out over the greenhouse and surrounded by hundreds of other hybrids and species which were untouched.

Im kinda surprised to see any on trichos.... I have the same thing going on here where they only screw with one ceriod, and a couple of

opuntias... they don't even screw with triches here... they've got a few ceriods to choose from but they only go for one... and with opuntias

as well theres probably 5 or 6 varieties but they only screw with 2 or 3 of them...

and same with stink bugs... with a hoophouse full of triches they only took big bites out of two I suspect to be cuzcoids

and one little nibble on a Pach...