The Corroboree
euphoraecopia

Am I about to lose my stock?

I've had this LW for several years now, and several months back moved it from a Peres stock to this Harrisia stock. However in the past few days the yellowing has been growing, indicating possible root rot? It isn't soft, it's dry and hard actually. The scion feels firm.

I suspect it was a combination of water and outdoor temperature, a mistake on my part.

Should I degraft it to save the scion? I could either root it on it's own, or I have some Pachanoi to regraft to, with some more Harrisia on the way as well.

post-10613-0-17273400-1395007464_thumb.j

post-10613-0-17273400-1395007464_thumb.jpg

post-10613-0-17273400-1395007464_thumb.jpg

Regraft or degraft are your only options.

• Like 1

I'd do it ASAP as I have had stocks fail and they can go from fine to completely dead overnight and if it spreads to the scion it's game over.

• Like 2

Alright I lopped it off, left an areole or two just in case, and stuck on some 8 rib Pachanoi recently rooted in a pot. Let's hope it takes.

• Like 2

Yes stock will die. Regrafting shouldn´t be a problem though.

Edited by Evil Genius

if you had this graft for several years, then it again validates my not so good opinion of harissia as a grafting stock. Unless cool looking and the 'hype' that japanese astro cultivators use it , I cannot see why its good for grafting. Grow it for looks though, and its fucking awesome, even though it needs to be propped / lean on something.

And I also lost a couple to overwatering, harissia is supposed to can stand a bit more cold, but not really water . My big flowering harissia loves in the roof though, not roting away to winter rains anytime soon.

Hi all, I am having a very similar problem ATM; i was careless and let a trich/lop get a bit rotten (the trich is the bad part, doesnt appear to have spread). I am assuming i have to cut the head off ASAP, and i plan to stick it straight onto some healthy trichs in pots. I have never grafted before, do i just remove the scion at the join and whack it straight onto the new stock?

I am very much at a loss here, any advice humbly and graciously accepted :worship:

I have an L. jourdaniana on harrisia stock and the stock is doing the same thing to me. It's shrivelling up really bad. The scion is bigger than the stock though so I can see why (with mine) Good luck regrafting. It's a nice looking loph.

thanks again for the help, I regrafted onto different stock and it's coasting along quite nice.

As for my rooted friends: what does it mean when the plant is growing out of the soil? It's like it's pushing itself out of the ground from the bottom, but appears to be otherwise healthy.

• Like 1

I have had the problem with trich cuttings shooting roots and knocking themselves over before. You can use rocks to hold them in place better, or bury them deeper, or just place them back in the soil if they do. :wink: