The Corroboree
Dreamwalker.

How to induce flowering in cacti, hormones, gibberellic acid, photoperiodism, plant biostimulants etc

This one isn't specifically for flowering, but I found it quite interesting and it's fairly recent (2012).

Effect of indole butyric acid on micrografting of cactus.pdf

Grafting is a common technique to propagate cacti species. Gymnocalycium mihanovichii is an ornamental plant and they should be grafted to root stock containing chlorophyll. In this research, exogenous auxin treatments were applied for grafting improvement. G. mihanovichii and Trichocereus spachianus were used as a scion and root stock, respectively. Indole butyric acid (IBA) was used as an auxin. Plants were treated with four different concentrations of IBA (0, 50, 100 and 150 ppm) and repeated at three different times (3, 9 and 15 days after micrografting). Measured parameters were scion height and diameter, cambial layer diameter, areole numbers, activated areole numbers and successful graft percentage. The histological studies were done on grafted plants with cross section. Auxin of 100 ppm was the most effective treatment to improve measured parameters. Auxin at the optimal concentrations, especially at 100 ppm, resulted in better vascular differentiation, an important process in grafting. Therefore, the optimal concentration of IBA was 100 ppm, especially when it was repeated three times. The obtained results from the present study indicated that IBA at the optimal concentration is an effective treatment, and may lead to increased successful grafts.

Treatment with indole butyric acid (IBA) 3x at 100ppm was found to be optimal for scion height and diameter, cambial layer diameter, areole numbers, activated areole numbers and successful graft percentage. Concentrations above or below this mark were not nearly as effective.

IBA Cacti

Edited by hookahhead
  • Like 2

I think I've come up with a non-chemical based technique that seems to be producing results.

I'm waiting on results from two more plants....

the biggest key to success though is plant maturity

Care to share? Or are you letting the suspense build??

I am in Canada however I did talk to him about shipping to AU since I told him I was on a forum with lots of people from AU and he said it would be fine. He was a bit slow to answer on the weekend. Don't worry he will reply he has the cheapest plant growth regulators I could find. He was even nice enough to switch to the cheapest method he could for shipping.

Cheers mate, will email em again.

Time to get some synthetic cytokinins!!

just found this ....useful list...check the link out ...there is more to it...

many thanks to

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=10816.0

I can also offer for trade various exotic Plant Growth Hormones (PGR's) and related Plant Biostimulants. I can speak from experiences cacti & succulents commonly produce acutely dramatic results in growth boosting enhancements. Everyone's heard of rooting hormones, and nobody disputes their overall effectiveness. It turns out there's plenty of other interesting effects that can be 'dictated'. Some people might be put off by this 'new' angle of horticulture, but if you've eaten broccoli or seedless grapes you've already eaten the chems I'm referring to, while you can't eat any piece of any plant without eating plant phytohormones in general, while all of industrial agriculture / horticulture uses them extensively (both pre & post harvest with produce). With these stigmas averted, especially if you have smaller plants you're trying to bulk up, PGR's assuredly are the certain way to achieve the maximum growth rates scientifically possible in a season. Some even only influence natural health and vigor mechanisms that might be weakened otherwise by the stresses they've endured. Understand that nutrients don't DRIVE growth, but PGR's do. Likewise, nutrients & water are but mere fuel, so when you stomp on the (PGR) GAS PEDAL, to harness all of the potential you need to boost the fuel tank & octane.
PGR's & Biostimulants I can offer:
Atonik [natural based antioxidant precursor good for everything from rooting cuttings but especially overall vigor]
6-Benzylaminopurine (6BA) [the most popular / widely useful "Cytokinin" 'branching hormone' in the world]
Brassinolide (BL) [interesting nature based 'brassinosteroid' first derived from Rapeseed flowers, gives broad growth boosting effects usually only done via several others PGR classes combined)
Chitosan [another interesting vigor booster; shellfish extract commonly used as a food additive; good for germinating seeds & increased yield with overall vigor boosting being the main effect. has actual human medical uses]
Fulvic Acid [choice chelating agent; highly bioabsorbable sometimes touted as helping effects of other chem effects]
6-Furfurylaminopurine (Kinetin)[natural analog to 6BAP; has been detected in virtually every living biological cell on all of planet earth]
Forchlorfenuron (CPPU) [a more exotic Cytokinin. mainly used for making seedless grapes & kiwi; not sure yet how it would influence cacti]
Gibberellic Acid (GA3) [earths ultimate 'seed sprouting hormone'; has many other uses but alone to drive realistic intense growth needs be mixed with the likes of 6BAP & IAA to balance out the effects (prevent raw stretching)]
Indole-3-Acetic Acid (IAA) [primary Auxin PGR produced by all plants; plays role in all stages of growth but best known for driving 'straight up' meristem growth]
Indole-3-Butyric Acid (IBA) [the most effective & widely used Auxin rooting hormone in the world]
Indole-3-Butyric Acid-K (K-IBA) [water soluble, changes the pH of the solution though]
Kinetin (6FA) (natural analog of 6BAP; said to be a natural component of virtually every living cell on earth]
Mepiquat Chloride [a Gibberellin Inhibitor. similar to the now semi-infamous Paclobutrazol but without of the health threats]
Naphthalene Acetic Acid (NAA) [2nd most important Auxin rooting hormone; main ingredient in Superthrive]
Salicylic Acid (SA) [related to Aspirin, this the proper form for plants (boosts natural health mechanisms. main component in willow leaves]
Triacontanol [extracted from beeswax. good all around yield booster on paper similar to Brassinolide. real safe, but difficult to use]

You can follow my profile to see the rest of what I have to offer. Majority of everything listed as live plants / cuttings I now maintain a steady supply of specimens ready to go year round. Also open to all sorts of other trades, for pretty much any seeds or 'plants of a useful nature' that I don't already have. Very interested in root crops outside of the 'potato' species. Thanks for reading.

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 1

Hi

I am from Singapore and to make cactus flower you simply throw a flat teaspoon of MONO SODIUM GLUTAMATE CRYSTALS

(Cheapest type from china) onto the pot containing the cactus every 5 days. That's right (MSG) for seasoning.

The cactus WILL flower in about 3 weeks. You will see it transform each day , bud will appear and then the flowers.

The Glutamate will cause the plant to go into a state that will enable flowering.

MSG is also very powerful as a fertilizer, just sprinkle small teaspoons onto selected plants and you can see very quick results.

NPK fertilizer contain salts too so the salt in MSG is not an issue.

I threw a tablespoon of MSG onto a banana plant and in a few days a new frond appeared..

Try it and see if it works for you!.

I constantly do this on my dragon fruit plant and I can induce flowering in 2 weeks on demand, any time I want , on any month.

• Like 6

^^^

LOL!!

Welcome eagleeye! thanks

Ill try and get some :)

I wonder if they like fly agaric too? amanita muscaria (msg's healthier substitute)

Has anyone tried this MSG thing??

• Like 2

holy shait look what I found in my drawer. about a year or two ago I bought all this and never used it. really because i didnt wanted to risk abusing my plants, that being said I will recover my intentions and use it with caution. thanks for calling my attention to this! ahh and there is a botle of polisorbate, or something like that...quite an arsenal I must say to my self.

post-11286-0-58132500-1445439064_thumb.j

post-11286-0-58132500-1445439064_thumb.jpg

post-11286-0-58132500-1445439064_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ogun
  • Like 2

i tried msg this spring and had an EPIC year of flowering! Who knows tho, there were no controls, and it could have been from ANYthing else in their growing enviroment. I may try some experiments next spring with some controls involved. I have read some pretty conclusive articles on it, and a few "ma&pa" testimonials promising results, particularly from the China/Japan/Thailand farmers...

• Like 1

You should be able to do something with all that haha. There's a product called bloom florigen but idk that it is what it says it is. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1360138513000253?_fmt=high&_origin=na&md5=f7512f030eca4f11c41b855faadb6576

Will have to try msg, nothing to loose eh.

A bit off topic but have any of you guys tried coloidal silver for selfing cactus?

• Like 1

Definitely worth trying. I'll force feed a few trichs next spring as well.

• Like 1

Keep in mind I'm primarily attempting immature -> mature phase change in meter+ fat scops in pots rather than flowering induction in already mature specimens. I also throw some stuff at PCs that have yet to flower for me...

Has anyone tried this MSG thing??

I tried it at pot drenching doses of 0.1, 1, and 10 mM, 3 doses at 2 day intervals in scops. Nothing.

I didnt try dumping pure MSG in the pot because those are big honking plants I dont want to kill.

no, still tryna get a hold of some megestrol first for total totem flowering

I dosed both scops and a PC with 20 mg megestrol suspended in 500 ml water each, twice per plant. Nothing.

i tried msg this spring and had an EPIC year of flowering!

What dose/application method?

After reading some papers on the nifty ways plant growth can be fucked around with via iodine/iodide/iodate I tossed some potassium iodide at scops at 0.1, 0.5, and 1.0 ppm. Nothing. That was the normal range used in published studies, next may I may throw 10 and 50 ppm at a pair of plants.

Edited by Auxin
  • Like 1

I tried it at pot drenching doses of 0.1, 1, and 10 mM, 3 doses at 2 day intervals in scops. Nothing.

Two day intervals for how long? Do you water all your plants that often? The highest dose would be 1.7 g/L? If so then I guess it goes without saying that there would be no results with the two lower doses.

I get the impression that MSG is just used as a high nitrogen fertiliser, and has nothing directly to do with flowering. If so then the same result can't be expected with most cacti. eagleeye says he gets hylocereus to flower, nothing particularly special about that given the cultivars and the weather they've got over there.

i wonder when this is all worked out, if there will be a way to trick cactus or any plants for that matter into flowering all year around

I would be so happy to have a jasmine that didnt stop pumping out flowers all year

Two day intervals for how long? Do you water all your plants that often? The highest dose would be 1.7 g/L? If so then I guess it goes without saying that there would be no results with the two lower doses.

Six days.

I water my cacti daily in the summer, with 1/20th to 1/10th strength low salt piss 3 times a week. But in the case of that MSG test I skipped watering on the in-between days.

1 mM of a great many things will effect plant growth. Some of the iodide and iodate papers I read were working at concentrations around 100 parts per billion, and plant hormones are used in the µM range.

Hell, just look what 100 µg of LSD can do to a 60 kilo man!

• Like 1

i tried msg this spring and had an EPIC year of flowering!...

I did absolutely nothing this yr , no ferts no nada & also had an EPIC year of flowering & the sad truth is there's still more to come.

Just speaking from experience, it's highly doubtful (imho) any chemical process is going to promote flowering in trich's. perhaps in other plants & cacti but not in columnar trichs.

if you ever get a chance, cut through an areole that has previously produced a flower & you'll see support structures that took months to develop......

• Like 5

^^^ i agree with this

Ive not had any experience using chemical to induce flowering in plants but i can definitely agree that a bit of neglect has helped a few of my plants to flower. The neglect was not deliberate.

Im no horticulturist but i think its a defensive mechanism to make sure they spread their seed and and plant spunk

Edited by DeadStar
  • Like 2

perhaps i should threaten them more often, flower or die type comments ;p.

• Like 3