The Corroboree
Biophilic

First real post: The shepherdess

~~~I guess this probably needs to be put in 'legal matters'. If so, could somebody please move it there? My apologies :blush:~~~

Hello all!

This is my first real post here, so greetings from Wellington New zealand!

I just have a quick question regarding legality and what is appropriate to post on these forums.

I live in New Zealand and the recent psychoactive substances bill has outlawed the sale of the plant in question. If a person were to post pictures and get feedback on their grow-process, could there be any negative repercussions for doing so?

I am a complete novice when it comes to botany / gardening, yet have become incresingly interested in learning to cultivate medicinal plants and would love to get involved with this community.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bio~

Edited by ballzac
I've made some minor edits pending a definitive answer to your questions.
  • Like 1

Hello & welcome to the forum.

I'd say if the plant is illegal then it's probably not a good idea to post pictures here, any form of self incrimination could have repercussions.

Salvia is currently an unapproved psychoactive substance under the Psychoactive Substances Act 2013 which means that it is illegal to import, manufacture, or sell this substance without a license.

The penalties for importation without a license can lead to a term of imprisonment not exceeding 2 years or in the case of a company a fine up to $500,000.

The penalties for manufacturing without a license can lead to term of imprisonment no exceeding 2 year or in the case of a company a fine up to $500,000.

The penalty for selling is a conviction and imprisonment for up to three months or a fine not exceeding more than $40,000.

It is not a criminal offence to buy salvia, but you can be subject to a fine of up to $500 if caught with the substance.

source: http://www.drugfoundation.org.nz/salvia/law

It's a very important question, given that the laws have changed. Does anyone know if these laws include live plants?

Yeah I read that drug foundation blurb, but as you say it doesnt have any detailed information about growing, personal use and minor distribution etc. I know that there are New Zealanders on these forums that trade cuttings and it would be a shame if such a minor act was now illegal.