The Corroboree
Sallubrious

Electric chainsaws

If there is something really solid you can use as an anchor point, you could try pulling it out with a block and tackle like they used to do back in the day. apparently you can remove pretty big stumps like that

Yeah I can get a block & tackle that's rated at 800 kg, it possibly could do the job if I cut all the buttresses off first, but it could be a bit of struggle. Maybe a turfer or 10 T chain block would be more suitable.

& Bullit

Do you just use a backhoe attachment on the Bobcat or something else, maybe a Bobcat could be a viable option.

I saw a few ppl recommend burning it... my paps did this with kerosene b4
http://www.familyhandyman.com/landscaping/how-to-remove-a-tree-stump-painlessly/view-all

I like the idea of shitake or some other edibles... if you grow alot of plants around and you have mason bees

you could level the top and make a roof and then drill some holes the right size to attract mason bee nests...

or even disguise it as a chair but make the mason bee nest under the seat and put a sign on it that says

"lazy not allowed" or sum shit

maybe start carving a totem pole? it'll give you something to do for a while

its early here im just being creative

• Like 2

hey sally we just use the bucket loader to grab it and pull and push up under it . rubber tree would b just like a avo having the huge roots . u get the bucket up under a good size root and lift the bastard and open the bucket and grab it like a big fucken mouth and pull on it like ripping a tooth out lol.

your fence is the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ask the operator If he/she has removed beasts b4?? good luck!!

Edited by bullit

I heard that farmers used to use fertiliser to make bom- bs and just blow them out of the ground.

problem solved :P

So I bit the bullet and bought an electric chainsaw today. I got an Ozito from Bunnings for $69 and it has two years warranty. $10 for a bottle of bar oil & I was in business. The bloke at Bunnings said they have a good warranty policy too, if it fails I can just take it back and swap it for another one, unlike some of the more expensive brands that have to be sent back and fixed.

I was really surprised at how good it is. It has a 355mm bar and I did a lot of cuts to the full length of the bar and it took it in it's stride and it didn't miss a beat. I don't know how many cuts I did but it was well over 200 cuts.

After about 2 hours of chopping the bloke living over the back fence came out and had a bit of a laugh at me using an electric chainsaw, then he loaned me his Mcculloch petrol saw, so I used that for about 25 minutes until the fuel ran out. His saw has a 400mm (approx I didn't measure it) bar. I have to admit that the petrol saw has more guts but the rate that it cuts is only marginally faster than my electric toy. Admittedly the petrol saw had a chain that wasn't as sharp as the one I just bought, so it's not a fair comparison. The petrol saw is heavier & a lot harder on the hands too because of the vibration. It's also a lot louder.

I managed to stall the petrol saw a few times on full depth cuts and the electric one never stalled, it never got hot or smelled of burnt brushes or windings ect.

With the number of cuts I did today, I could have easily felled 5 or more trees with 350mm diameter trunks or larger and cut them into manageable sized pieces.

Obviously it wouldn't suit a rural situation but for the average suburbanite it's an excellent toy. If I was sculpting wood I'd be inclined to go for an electric saw because of the lighter weight, less noise and vibration and it doesn't need petrol.

Yoho if ur looking for a mad stihl chainsaw my bro in law is a sales rep and has gotten a lotta my mates mad deals with a lot of extras thrown in.

why not hire a stump grinder? I had a stump to remove recently, i could hire a grinder for $145 + $20 trailer hire to get it to my place for 4 hours... It seemed expensive to me so i rang a professional who quoted me $150... It was a no brainer. I almost said to him "Lets call it $160".

i know yours is bigger, but is it any more than a days work with a real grinder?

Because I reckon you will need more bar oil Sally.... you can use vegetable oil (canola good) off the supermarket shelf instead of usually hydrocarbon based bar oils for less coin. Its a bit lower viscosity so you can use a bit more but its the shit. I use it in fuel and leccie saws

FYI - http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/98511316/98511316.html

I've killed a few trees :wink: , put a few outta their misery and cleaned u the carcasses...lol

Seen it mentioned as a good carrier for myco inooculations, probably try it one day....just dunno where I can contain a high velocity spread innoculation :lol:

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

Incog - what can your brother in law do for 69 bucks ?

&CrayZ

I had three quotes to grind the stump and the cheapest quote was $850.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I know a guy that works for an equipment hire place and he advised me not to hire one as there is no way I'd get it done in one day. I reckon one of those little grinders would take me at least three days and I just don't have the money.

I'm fully aware it's an act of madness to cut it out with a chainsaw, but I just can't afford to rent a grinder or hire a contractor to do it.

Here's the bastard today before I started hacking. The picture doesn't really depict how big it is and it has bricks and of lumps concrete that it has grown around and over.

Edited by Sally

Incog - what can your brother in law do for 69 bucks ?

could probably replace a missing petrol cap AND a missing cover.

• Like 3

IME digging and then fire is the go.

fire goes up, not so much down.

I was amazed at how much easier it was than the axe!

thats a fcka of a stump......

there may also be the option to burn the bastard like you are making charcoal if its dry (can't tell if its green or dry stump)......if you had a heap of earth about or available drill holes in the bastard set it off with diesel/unleaded mix (4:1) and smother it with earth to get it to smoulder it would take a week+ by the looks of it .

If you can cut the bulk from near the fence, and wet the fence it for xtra insurance you'd get a fair bit of work done on it.

Can't really get the perspective how close it is to the fence.

If that wouldn't work for you Sally , may work for someone else later on :wink:

• Like 3

Thanks for the tip on the canola oil WB, I'll give that a go for sure. I was tasting that bar oil all night after I finished hacking.

Burning would be a good way to go but it could get of hand and cause a bit of damage. Just over the fence there is a layer of leaves and litter from the rubber tree approx. 2 feet deep. I dare say it's never been cleaned up the whole time the next door neighbours have lived there. Mixed in with the litter is all sorts of garbage that's been shoved up there, so there is layers of all sorts of shit mixed with leaves and branches etc. If that crap catches on fire it would be very hard to put it out.

If it was in the middle of the yard I'd burn it for sure.

lol...yeah don't charcoal that fcka then Sally ....just looking at it left of centre,

Most folk don't know the canola oil bar oil situation....you have to use canola products in Germany base on environmental grounds.

I don't think 69 buks would get u much in the way of stihl chainsaws :( they are the bomb though I've had mine for ten + years and its still going strong. Ill be cutting up rail sleepers tomorrow in preparation for winter.

We used canola oil in the saws on the farm for cutting up cows we slaughtered too.

We used to burn our stumps like that too, but theyr can burn for weeks and will smoke sometimes too, so that might not be welcome in suburbia anyway

• Like 1

Pretty nice looking garden furniture, potted plant stand or something? Poison and a coat of paint?

• Like 1