The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Strontium Dawg

Germination rates?

Hi all,

pretty much my first real post here so go easy on me!

I'm a cacti noob, but a pretty experienced horticulturalist in general, and I sowed a bunch of seed about 10 days ago - super pedro x psycho0, and so far, I have only seen 1 sprouter. I know it's hard to say given the variables involved, but what would you estimate would be the longest period you'd wait for seeds to germinate? I'd really hoped for better rate than 5%, the vendor I got them from seems to be pretty reputable.

On the plus side, I have a few nice cuttings that are rooting, and cant wait to expand the collection! So far, I have an eileen bridgesii, a nice peruvianus, and a HB04 pedro.

I also saw a few bridgesii tops poking over a fence the other day on my way to work, so I'm planning on knocking and asking for a few cuts, hope the owners are friendly!

Cheers all.

The longest time? lol, spent years waiting for Karel Knize´s decades old seed to germinate. Was germinating them in cycles and got like 0,01 % Germ Rate. But that´s certainly not normal. I guess with the seed source you probably have, it should be around 2-4 weeks under the right conditions!

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

I've had trichs take a month to germ. I usually use GA3 which speeds up the process and results in more seedlings.

I've had trichs take a month to germ. I usually use GA3 which speeds up the process and results in more seedlings.

so you just spray that on them after you lay them?

No I don't spray them with GA3, I soak them in GA3 solution before hand. I do it at varying PPM and time frames. It all depends on the seed batch.

I sow using the take away tek under lights in autumn and will leave them 6 months before giving up.

Probably overkill!

Hi Madhouses, it does not help to keep cactus seed wet for more than 2 months, if you´ve been meeting all the germination requirements during the first weeks. If temperature and moisture was right, keeping them wet will probably rather be counterproductive. What helps is letting the seed and the seedlings dry out, and starting with another germination cycle afterwards.

I have no doubt you're right eg, you are very knowledgeable about these things.

I'm still going to give each of my containers 6 months before I chuck them though ;)

Yeah Madhouses, that´s understandable. I dont chuck them either. In fact, i still have soil containers that i´ve sown like 5 years ago. I´m just letting the soil dry out and re-start the germination cycle over and over again. UV Rays might also be helpful too to re-activate old seed.