The Corroboree
illogicalBrew

Are they lost?

Most of them should be ok, one or two look in bad shape. Not much you can do, put them in a sunny spot and keep them dry, no water at all.

• Like 1

if they're mushy and the soil's wet and it's humid the soil might not dry adequately to prevent damage,

if there's noticeable rot starting take them out of the soil and let them dry out, then repot in dry soil

that's what id do if it was humid

Firstly, I'd separate the healthy ones from the mushy plants.

The plants that are mushy, are the tops still hard? You may need to cut them & let them callous and repot, as any mushy sections may be rot and if so it spreads quite fast to my understanding.

Sorry to hear about the catastrophe, but good luck with their recovery. I'm sure even if you did have to cut them, they'd appreciate you saving them.

Edited by Brendo
  • Like 1

I see a few that will probably not Recover. Don't think that cutting them will save them.

Edited by Evil Genius

whats all that white stuff? your potting soil need to be uncovered so the soil can air out & breathe

unpot all of them & repot in dry soil give em bright lite but not full sun & they all may recover.

if you really worried, unpot them, and lay em down nice and dry for a few weeks

then repot after that

dont water for another few weeks after that ATLEAST

i'd say that IF the problem is in the root zone its not too much rain but perhaps the soil and pots

and i'd repot them...soil mix should be based on the type of weather you get there but I know its been

unpredictable in some places.. hell its always unpredictable here ... i'd repot especially the healthier ones

and I agree to pull them out of the soil if its staying very wet, so they can dry well before replanting.. and remove any

rotted looking roots... in other words if the drainage is poor, make it drain

look at the 10 day forecast for Ayacucho Peru... http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Ayacucho+PELE0048:1:PE

now im sure it isn't raining all day every day there but its safe to say the soil stays wet during the wet season...

they should be able to take alot of rain during the growing season, the soil should stay moist but not drenched

perhaps even more drain holes if you think the soil is okay... bridgesiis prefer more arid I think but many of them

can handle a bit of rain and humidity as well...

it's a little cooler in La Paz http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/La+Paz+BLXX0006:1:BL

im not sure but I don't think it rains there as often but they are apparently closer to a season change

but really from pics its hard to know other factors.. have you given them any nutes? it could be the rain

and also be related to other factors other than soil too... I had to learn a bunch the hard way

trust me it gets easier tho...

best of luck with those! I won't take any guesses on whether they'll survive or not eh

Edited by Spine Collector

If you were in Germany, I´d say that they have frost damage. The Blackening is pretty typical for that. So I guess the water wasn't the problem. Rather the cold.

Many thanks for your prompt replies.

My brother in his Fly in Fly out routine put them under cover 2 weeks ago before cyclone (no rain but not much sun either: Min 20, max 30 degs temp).

Mix is just searles cactus mix with some added perlite (the tall Panachoi has survived a few Brisbane rain seasons (including floods) in this and thought it would be okay for the others, although now they are in Airlie Beach). The white/black stuff is just a slight layer of pebbles (layer on bottom of pot as well). My understanding is that they could survive wet, provided drainage and heat.

For comparison when I first got them 3 months ago:

post-11488-0-40971800-1393286791_thumb.j

post-11488-0-40971800-1393286791_thumb.jpeg

post-11488-0-40971800-1393286791_thumb.jpeg

Edited by illogicalBrew