The Corroboree
Dreamwalker.

Most of us have made best memories by age 25, research finds

That's because comfort rules our lives, and as people get older, they become more aware that death is constantly breathing down our necks: we see people die, hear about it, the media drives a good deal of it of course, but the closer people get to death - age wise - the less adventurous they get.

I can believe it. Most of my fondest memories are from my 20's, but it's also very misleading: who's to say we fon't just think more happily about our youth, because we didn't have responsibilities then? Or because we didn't get sick then, or just had no concept how quickly life rips by?

So although studies might SAY we've already made our best memories by 25, I'd summise it's more likely we just remember our youth more fondly because we were so much younger then.

• Like 3

I didn't do anything of note, other than party hard prior to the age of 25.

The life changing adventures didn't start until 28, and just kept coming. Ive had so many crazy awesome adventures since that sometimes i feel greedy, or charmed.

I can afford them better now as well :-)

• Like 4

I didn't do anything of note, other than party hard prior to the age of 25.

The life changing adventures didn't start until 28, and just kept coming. Ive had so many crazy awesome adventures since that sometimes i feel greedy, or charmed.

I can afford them better now as well :-)

I'd have to ditto...............not having kids probably helped.................you become a slave to them (sorry parentals).....but you work so hard feeding buying toys..housing them..............all that time of your finite 3 score years + 10 ticking away...........you could be trying to surf or biking peru.................adventures............the thing I don't get is most parents consider their kids blessings.......so why didn't that come up in the research.........ie the best years of my life was the adventure of having a family.........or that promotion at work....wow that sure beats catching the latest std............. :scratchhead:

guess it depends on the person but usually by 25 most peeps have settled down and cut ties with all there old school mates and moved on in the adult world of mediocrity and bleh, id agree in my experience that most of my best times were before then and largely around this community haha by 25 i was a jaded hermit win :wink:

I've done some of my most surprising things after 25.

I think it is about how high you build your roof (your personal glass ceiling).

My life has better memories every year I just aim to get more out of each year.

Admittedly I base I lot around family and my job, but life just gets better.

Edit: Finding Plants after 30 was one of the great things!

Edited by Pie'oh'Pah
  • Like 2

lol.....gets better by the year....does go faster but

I am glad I don't fit a stereotype :) ....its what you make it.....

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

Kids didn't come up in the research because they are real, not memories. However if sadly someone has lost a kid I think you will find if they can save one photo from a burning house, the parties and fun become insignificant. It's hard to explain, people waffle on about kids because they love them. Not Romeo and Juliet type love, a deep love that just is implanted in your heart and head. But these researchers must of had a bad hair day, not exactly ground breaking stuff by the o powerful head professors.

• Like 1

I don't remember much from before I was 25.

Lucky thing too, there was plenty of brainspace left to remember all the awesome shit I've done since I was 25

• Like 2

If you've been arrested before 25 its most likely that your best memories are before then as well.

From an exercise in rapture, I get it, but I also get the precautions to generalizations (bad youthful memories/shutting the door on making mature memories).

I recall some wonderful memories from my raving period, but that was amid a heightened period of euphoria and naivete in which I brought to the collective a desire to see something human primal and ancient. This bubble was burst as I encountered others who brought their personal envisioning that clearly clashed with mine. I now would never be in that situation because I learned from it enough to see the signs and read the mantras that essentially my psyche uses to protect me from the negative aspect I experienced toward the end of that period.

I recall that smiling was easier when I was 20 & I was just, as I now see, totally ignorant to verbal, social abuse and insults.

Dare I quote Hamlet? "Slings and arrows of so long life"

When I see the junipers in my geography, they serve as direct example to this idea. The ten-year old which was slashed down for fire precaution last year is this year flush and exuberant with shoots; The 200-year-old looks a little haggard though still magnificently present - perhaps a colonial logger's tool cutmarks are seen on one of the boles, or a hollowed-out charcoal from lightning; the thousand-year-old just looks dead with the wonderful whorls and contours of lignus brown, the stark skeleton spikes of its sky silhouette testimony of a life lived - but oftentimes there is a sprig of green, just the size of an ape's hand, on a side branch indicating the very powerful physic of life's intention.

Perhaps the early good memories are an expression of this very desire of the life force, holding on to the green of innocence and happy moments? ... and yet I see in the mature repose an intelligence and integrity that is also essential to the whole process...

"From around the age of six, I had the habit of sketching from life. I became an artist, and from fifty on began producing works that won some reputation, but nothing I did before the age of seventy was worthy of attention. At seventy-three, I began to grasp the structures of birds and beasts, insects and fish, and of the way plants grow. If I go on trying, I will surely understand them still better by the time I am eighty-six, so that by ninety I will have penetrated to their essential nature. At one hundred, I may well have a positively divine understanding of them, while at one hundred and thirty, forty, or more I will have reached the stage where every dot and every stroke I paint will be alive. May Heaven, that grants long life, give me the chance to prove that this is no lie. ”

Hokusai

Edited by gwalchgwyn
  • Like 2