The Corroboree

Does anyone here grow Wormwood? do you place it at the entrance to your property?

I've heard about using a Wormwood solution to keep those nasty pests at bay, as well as leaving some Wormwood leaves around the bottom of the plant.

Has anyone had any success in using Wormwood? Or maybe you have had success with other natural pesticides.

I've seen modified coat hangers sticking out of gadens - to act as a perfect assistance to a spider wishing to build its web... Apparently the spiders figured it out pretty fast and by the amount of bugs in the web it was doing a good job... $2 to make 100 'web nests' aint much of a risk...worth a try.

also look into neem oil, or plants

I used a chilli garlic spray for some pests.

Here are some interesting brews:

http://www.annettemcfarlane.com/Doityourself.htm

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-make-natural-garden-pesticides-169168

Edited by Pie'oh'Pah
  • Like 1

I grow it and use it as incense and add it to mint tea (in very small quantities)

didn't do a thing against spidermite or sciariad fly , the most effective things turned out to be fire, a very light misting of wd-40 , nematodes for the flies and mighty wash for the mites

its an ok smoke but no matter what you smoke next , and for at least the next few hours, everything tastes like it

neem is the only pesticide I have used for years. caterpillars of all sorts, aphids, mites, cucumber beetles and earwigs.

it has a anti-feeding effect on insects, so they either starve to death or die of dehydration. I've seen green and black

aphids die in a day from dehydration on a warm day. be careful don't spray on hot days especially seedlings, it will burn.

it has many other uses for animals, such as repelling fly's ticks mites mosquitoes and many more.

not recommended for lactating animals read some were?

I recon you could find a hundred uses for this stuff.

its meant to be a noxious weed in the tropics.???

Edited by lindsay

My mum half gave me a recipe for fruit fly and mosquitos

:- in a bottle put vinegar, brown sugar and bleach. hang in tree with tiny holes in sides for bugs to enter. Still waiting on full recipe retrieval, anyone else know of this one or what portions?

Also try capturing the ailing bugs and crushing them into water to be sprayed over suceptible plants approx. 8 bugs/cup. The dead bugs act as a warning to other similar pests.

Coconut oil can break down the hard chitin layers of most arthropods causing them to die as does the surfactant qualitys of pure soap.

Vaseline on a bit of stickytape wrapped around the trunk prevents insects crawling up the trunks.

Try imagining your plants as being pest free naturally. Thought is so powerful and what a great, safe way, to test out your own power of thought.

• Like 1

I have a couple of big pots of catnip on my verandah, which I have read acts as a repellant. Seems to work pretty well. Lemon balm is also supposed the be effective.

Tea tree and neem oil spray, tulsi and Spilanthes tea extract as a spray, marigold, chamomile and geranium plants strategically located around the garden.

Should be all you need to keep your garden pest free. Naturally.

Do you guys use neem often on edible plants?

I have not used it on edibles etc as I have not found a registered product to use on edibles in Australia.

Nicotine from plants containing it is an excellent pesticide.

Also lets not forget Pyrethrum which is found in high concentrations in some Chrysanthemums.

Also lets not forget Pyrethrum which is found in high concentrations in some Chrysanthemums.

I was thinking of growing some pyrethrum plants, but I have read that without the added checmical insects are able to digest the pyrethrum, making it only effective as a knockdown treatment.

Have you used pyrethrum effectively from antural sources?

Cheers

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2607562.htm

'When insect pests invade your plants you've got to get on to the problem right away. Colin prefers to use home-made remedies where possible because they're generally safer for the environment and more economical. However he advises, "Be careful of these solutions around children, as they should not be ingested. Don't store them in soft drink bottles and make sure you keep them out of reach of children.

Scale and Mealybugs: Make an oil preparation that suffocates them by mixing four tablespoons of dishwashing liquid into one cup of vegetable oil. Mix one part of that mixture to about twenty parts of water, put it in your sprayer and spray the affected plants.

Aphids, Caterpillars and Other Insects: Add two tablespoons of soap flakes to one litre of water and stir thoroughly until completely dissolved (this is quicker in warm water). There is no need to dilute this further, just spray it on as is.

Black Spot Fungicide: In Queensland, Black Spot's a major problem with roses, but this fungicide mixture works miracles. Add three teaspoons of bicarb soda to one litre of water. Don't get carried away with the bicarb soda because if you make it too strong, it'll cause all sorts of problems. Add a few drops of either dishwashing liquid, or fish emulsion to help the solution adhere to the leaf more effectively.

Fungicide: Mix one level teaspoon of bicarb soda into one litre of water. Add one litre of skim milk and a pinch of Condy's Crystals (potassium permanganate) which you can get from a produce agent (someone that supplies to horse owners). Shake thoroughly.

Grasshopper, Caterpillar and Possum Deterrent: Mix a cup of molasses into one litre of water and spray it over new foliage.

Nematodes: Add half a litre of molasses to two litres of water and spread over one and a half square metres of affected garden area.

All-round Insecticide: Chop four large onions, two cloves of garlic, and four hot chillies. Mix them together and cover with warm, soapy water and leave it to stand overnight. Strain off that liquid and add it to five litres of water to create an all-round insecticide.

Pesticide: Crush a whole bulb of garlic and cover with vegetable oil. After two days, strain off the liquid, add a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid and use one millilitre of concentrate to one litre of water.

Herbicide: Add a cup of common salt to a litre of vinegar. After it's dissolved, brush it directly onto weeds. Remember, it's not a selective weed killer. It'll kill anything it touches so be very careful how you use it.

Predator Attractor: Predators that prey on pests are great things to have in the garden. Lacewings are particularly desirable because they consume aphids and many other pests. To encourage them into your garden, dissolve one teaspoon of a yeast based sandwich spread in water and spray it all over the plants'.

Read more: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241471#ixzz2xncdTbre

• Like 2

To deter animals, such as possums, and pets from eating your beloved plants / seedlings / cotyledons.

Google: "quassia bark; supplies" (pronounced KWARSHIA / quarsha)

Also Google it's preparation, but, from memory, boil a handful of the bark chips in 1 litre of water for 10 mns; leave to steep overnight, and drain then filter liquid through cloth, or filter paper, and spray onto plants.

Extremely bitter to animals, but may not deter insects. Harmless, but wash off plants in water before consumption.

so long as it hasnt had mosaic virus , if you're spraying it on tomatoes

Mice - repelled by peppermint oil, place oil on cotton wool balls in cupboards etc.

Mosquito's and sandfly's- mix cedarwood, lavender and peppermint oils with oil or water, shake well and apply to skin.

Termites - cedar wood oil, clove bud oil, vetiver oil or garlic

so long as it hasnt had mosaic virus , if you're spraying it on tomatoes

Glitch is you cant tell if thats the case on cigs. One could grow the high nicotine aussie native tobaccos like N. gossei or N. excelsior.

☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ, I tried pronouncing your name as one integral word.

It sounded like a sneeze.

I name you Sneezeo.

I was referring to Nicotiana grown from seed to be used as a pesticide not using some random snuff. :huh:

Yeah, but I wanted it to be clear.

When most people make a tobacco tea spray it typically starts with a whole store bought cigarette.

Tho I've seen people use butts from their ashtray :lol:

Pyrethrum is definitely the way to go. grow it your self to make sure its organic if you are worried about it. Chilli and garlic sprays are also quiet good.