The Corroboree
ace1928

What I have and What I want

Hey guys

Here is a list of mushroom cultures that I currently have or will have within the next 1 - 2 weeks (edibles/medicinals only)

Black Poplar

Blue Oyster

Chicken Of The Woods

Stipticus(Glowing)

King Oyster

Lions Mane

Pearl Oyster

Pink Oyster

Reishi

Shimeji

Turkey Tail

Milky Mushroom

And here is the list of the mushrooms that I still wish to acquire

Almond Agaric(blazei)

Blewit

Brick Cap

Button Mushroom

Cauliflower Mushroom

Cold Weather Shitake

Coral Mushroom

Elm Oyster

Enoki

Garden Giant

Golden Oyster

Honey Agaric

Hypholoma Capnoides

Jew Ear/Jelly Mushroom

Maitake

Nameko

Paddy Straw

Pheonix Oyster

Shaggy Mane

lentinus tigrus

Warm Shitake

If anyone is able to point me in the right direction or help me out, be it free cultures, paying for cultures, trading cultures or letting me know of a cost friendly solution of where to get the cultures I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks everyone. Seriously loving this community so far. More active and friendlier than I first expected it would be haha

Cheers :)

Edited by ace1928

If you cross a blazei and L.tigrus...I am keen :wink: very keen.

I'll be pushing some shiitake again when the temp cools and humidity rises.....and it reminds me I promised I think Zen a liquid culture which I never got to due to life,work and other distractions.

I am considering when it cools digging into the freezer bank and regenerating some of the above on your want list. As with the above point I'll only start a project if I can dedicate the time and finish it....otherwise all becomes lost. Theres no gurantees things make it through or maintain genetic integrity, lol...buts that why I do multiple banks.

I'll add you to the list for when I get crack-a-lakin again :wink:

I've seen a few newies chasing lions tail and maitake....you need mad skills and specific environments for those two.

I've never got maitake to finish...the bastard always collapsed into a rank fishy smelling mess before finishing. Both are FAE pigs.

Common names concern me at times ( well a lot - as a gene whore it makes it hard...lol)..

BUT DO NOT bring Armillaria mellea or more so A.ostoyae into Australia( also both know as Honey Agaric/Honey mushroom) this species poses a very great risk to biodiversity if this beast goes wild.

It was thought to be here, but it is now identified as a native Armillaria species.

FYI: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_033146.pdf

• Like 2

I knew about the honey agaric being a parasitic pest. If i did get my hands on a culture I would most definitely modify it until it was sporeless. But I would never import it

I do have some lions mane coming. And I did have maitake but my mate dropped the master slants I had and they broke. Managed to get some fruits from it that were not too bad but didn't try to clone because I was relying on the master slants :doh:

So now I have to find it again haha

Sorry for the common names, I generally work with scientific names but just didn't with this list and was lazy this morning when I posted it. I might update with scientific names later on when I get around to it

Thanks a tonne for putting me on the list :P haha

Cheers

Doesnt spread via spores where the largest organism by biomass exists..... just saying

lol..no need for apologies for not using the scientifics, but there are a few going by honey agaric

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

Ah right yeh I forgot about that haha
Yeh actually not going to do anything with that species at all. just to be safe

With such a large list of cultures I'm interested on how the best way to store such a large diversity of cultures is?

I am considering when it cools digging into the freezer bank and regenerating some of the above on your want list. As with the above point I'll only start a project if I can dedicate the time and finish it....otherwise all becomes lost. Theres no gurantees things make it through or maintain genetic integrity, lol...buts that why I do multiple banks.

Don't want to hijack this thread but I'd love to know more details about how you freeze your culture bank.

Care to elaborate on any details/pics links??

I'm currently starting to store mine in sterile distilled water in test tubes in the fridge.

Thanks

Shrooman

Well I actually wont store any cultures longer than a couple months. I cycle through them really quick and keep going back to spores and isolation etc.
So for storing for such a short time I tend to just leave them in an airtight container in a really cool place
For longer storage I would personally aim to keep them at about 2 degrees.
But would still definitely, every six months or so, do a transfer from the master onto new plates to check that its still integral and then from those good plates make up a few more masters.
Just to keep it happy and alive

Again though I like to keep going back to the spores to keep it fresh and vigorous.
Plus traits are generally genetic so the isolates from the offspring are often times better than the parent strain.

My methods haha :)

Clean liquid cultures will keep for months in a fridge, but I do a master slants and baby food jar slants with a parafin oil seal in the freezer.I've kept some cultures well over 2 years this way.

You need to be using the "youngest" possible material for master slants.

At 2 degrees they will still be biologically active and can still "run down" when on agar. You need to suspend growth not slow it down for long term storage.

Have to remember that cultures run down over a series over transfers, Stamets was calling it a P-value or something.

Basically it refers to the age of the culture...the more it replicates across plates/cultures the more opportunities for genetic f'ups.

Just relying on spores for some species is not good insurance, as you can with some species mostly generate isolates that will not fruit well if at all under cultivation... and there is a lot of heatbreak when it occurs. For some species it is really hard to get a good fruiting isolate.

Thats how I do it anyway :wink:l

EDIT - I also do multiple masters on several agar types for insurance.... I tend not to fck around when I set up...lol

and again...lol

I am of the opinion that a true cryo storage would be the shit

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

I haven't had issue with the spore thing and i never do more than about 4 transfers for masters
So basically each strain I can get about... 2 years from and in those two years constantly looking for new better isolates from spores and taking new masters of any better isolates.

Its just a system to keep me busy and constantly searching for better

In saying that I think i will do the freezer thing if i ever come across an amazing individual that is well beyond what I could expect.

And yeh I know they will still be slightly active at 2 degrees but freezing can kill them sometimes and some tropical species don't even like being as low as 15 degrees. So for those ones you just have to keep it going from generation to generation.

I suppose i just haven't had isolates that i value enough so far to justify freezing. Perhaps im just too much of a perfectionist and thats why i try and go for better and better isolates lol

Hi Ace,

I just saw your have and wants list.

I have some Auricularia auricular (Jews Ear) spore prints if you're still interested.

They're from my back yard, printed on foil. (Grown on Yellow Poinsettia, they just love em)

Also have a few Agaricus campestris (horse mushroom) wild prints at the moment as well.

I'd be interested in trade for Calocybe indica (milky mushroom) or Panaellus stypticus (Stypticus) print or culture. Print preferred.

Anyway, nice to meet you, just let me know if you're interested.

Cheers mate, take it easy. :)

I chose not to grow chicken of the woods in Australia because I haven't yet seen any compelling evidence it already occurs here and because we have several indigenous species (like the punks) that occupy the same habitat which they could potentially out compete.

Hey guys

I dont have nay prints of the panellus or the milky at the moment unfortunately but I'd be happy to trade cultures and swing you some prints when i fruit them out in the coming months if that is of interest?

Also am very interested in elm oyster emcat.

Just pm me what you guys want for me to trade with you to get them :)

Zen: im actually on the same lines as you with the chicken of the woods. Haven't been able to find evidence that they wont cause issues in the environment

Cheers guys :)

PS if im a bit delayed in response its purely because uni is swamping me at the moment. ill be back in the real world in 5 weeks :P haha

Yeah exactly mate. But if I ever see them already here I'd have a crack because I hear they taste awesome :)