The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bogfrog

Ceres show off - monstrose scop

So I just spent the day helping a friend repot all his trichocereus, he is a very lovely old man, very much like a wizard actually, psychiatrist by trade, was friends with my dad long before I manifested ... his plants were sorely in need of some TLC so I offered to help out.

In the midst of the repotting session, I came across a real little wonder, something which (if it is what I think it is) is quite rare. Certainly haven't heard of them being in nz anyway. So anyway I was quite excited and it is the first time this year I have actually been excited about a cactus, and he picked up on that and gave it to me as a thank you for the repotting efforts, so here it is, what do ya'll think?

Did I just score a monstrose scopulicola? (Obviously the pups are the part I'm excited about..)

post-8023-0-66017900-1391237931_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-47714900-1391237961_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-27916900-1391237992_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-10858600-1391238018_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-80096400-1391238047_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 14

lol that 1st pic hehehehehe

• Like 10

I was watching a vid last night.....a Peru mountain market selling male and female San P cuttings ..... lol :) .................never knew there was such a distinction......but I can see it clearly now...................

--------------------------------------------

The Monstrose

what a neat score and a special connection from an old family friend..........really cool...................be interesting to see how it matures..................

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 1

Haha you guys ....get ya minds outta the gutter ... Nah I see it too lol :wink:

I've wondered about the male/female thing.. Wasn't it long spined sp. were considered male and short spined sp. female?

Cheers dreamwalker, hope it continues with the weird growth. Maybe if I sing to it lots and pamper it like a prince, one day it'll flower and i can make some funky scop hybrids. Hope so.

• Like 2

Y'all rude! I didn't see nothing but a cactus till yo dirty-ass mofos started popping off that noise. But on that note: if I were you Ceres, I'd make sure she really loves you before you flop that nasty-ass thang out! Mhmm.

And hey gurl, I thought I already told you 'bout them monstroses! They UGLY yo. Mm.

it'd be cool to have some monstrose scopulicola in the country................

monstrose are beautiful........the wild side of cacti culture......................

I had no idea the shamans distinguished between male and female..................this shop/market in the mountains had shelves of foot long logs...............and the shamen used equal numbers of both.....not sure how much I can say....I got told off the other day for saying to much... :innocent_n:

the vid was more documenting the ritual etc...not a lot of info..............but short spine, long spine maybe????

Edited by Dreamwalker

Don't wanna be a cynic here, but I will be nevertheless.

Like we all know that emerging pups might not have steady rib count. I suppose everyone has seen 'monstrosities" on new pups. Scop can play their ribs from 4 to 6 at once, so....

this might carry some monstrosa characteristics, but I doubt it..

It will be most exciting if this really is a semi monstrosa scop though. One pup looks more promising than the other.

In any case, you can never have enough scops . Cool find!

• Like 1

Cynic to my hearts-discontent hehe.. Yeh fair call. Although I'm a little more careful to cry monstrose these days mutant. I have a pretty good eye for this stuff.

I have seen this plant a year earlier and it was looking very deformed back then too. Only time will tell tho. The conditions weren't the best so maybe it's just an external manifestation of an internal struggle. Hope not tho.

• Like 1

hey cheers dudette...

there's nothing wrong crying a "monster" !!! we are sure known monster-obsessives some of us.

heck I have even cried chimera (selinicereus) , and it proved only to be a flowerbud gone wrong

here, have the link to have a laugh at me, lol

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32050&hl=chimera

seriously now, I too thought its most likely a neglected plant, but hey, on the comment of cynicism in regards to your expectations, there are 2 sides of the coin here. starting with low expectations doesn't generate a big disappointment in no case, and you could be joyful to know you have a possibly different strain of scop in yo collexion.

like I said, you cannot have too many scops, love'em

PS: the most deformed pup does seem like it had some stress, possibly snail attack, in the near past...

Edited by mutant
  • Like 2

lol mutant

the parable of the cactophile who cried monstrose

i dont even know if you said that because of a translation thing or if you just came up with it. here its always 'the boy who cried wolf"

• Like 1

I've cried monster several times. One time thought that a bridgesii seedling of mine was a melted wax because it went 4 ribbed and spinless. Turns out it was extremely unhealthy. Lol. This was right around when first started growing.

But this plant does look pretty wacky. Especially in that first picture ;) hahaha

Edited by hostilis

it's got a kind of particular erectness about it, no? i dunno a kind of hyper engorged virility. something about its proportions makes me think of a pony, but those small beer glasses aren't the same at all

careful where you put it. you might go cock-eyed when you look at the morning glory.

it looks like a grazing animal's............

... lips wouldn't want a bar of it.

heh heh bar. that one was free.

• Like 2

TI i was an antiartist before I became a gardenter and cultivator! I seems I made it up!

Cry monster, just because a fucking snail ate the tip of your PC pachanoi, f.e.

there's satire in everythings

how many of you are into ed. ED ? who got banned because of asutralia?