The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
myco

cleaning boab seed

didnt really now where to put this so i figured the chill space was as good as any

does anyone have any experience in cleaning boab seed i've got a couple of nuts here my mate brought back from up north

i've cracked one open an and the seeds are inside this kinda foam like stuff its really not easy to get off

i bought some boab seed about a year ago and it was clean as no sign of any of the crap they're encased in

is there any sort of trick to cleaning these seeds or what

hopefully someone here has done it before i cant find any info on the net anywhere about ways to clean them

I ended up just sitting there rubbing as much as I could off them

then i put them in my soil sieve and got a scrubbing brush and just started scrubbing em with that against the metal mesh

seemed to get most of it off

There's gotta be an easier way though it was a fair bit of work my fingers are pretty raw after trying te rub the bulk of the crap off them

A cement mixer or something similar with some good coarse sand would probly do the job but it's not really worth it unless you had thousands of seeds to clean

Be good to try and make some sort of smaller electric machine that could tumble em around like a cement mixer

I got 80 seeds out of one nut and 155 out of the other one so im pretty happy with that :)

Edited by myco

A rock tumbler used by lapidary folk would be the go....

• Like 2

Easiest -- and most delicious -- way is to simply pop 'em in your mouth and let the foamy stuff disolve. It's actually pretty sweet and supposed to be quite healthy. Plus, it's a great conversation starter; "Here, put this in your mouth and suck."

FYI, if you DON'T get all of the foam covering off, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a nasty fungus which will kill your seed once planted.

• Like 1

Easiest -- and most delicious -- way is to simply pop 'em in your mouth and let the foamy stuff disolve. It's actually pretty sweet and supposed to be quite healthy. Plus, it's a great conversation starter; "Here, put this in your mouth and suck."

FYI, if you DON'T get all of the foam covering off, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a nasty fungus which will kill your seed once planted.

i'll pass on the suckin on em the stuff doesnt taste to good its meant to be edible

but i'd rather not have to sit there and suck on 235 seeds haha might take a while

they're pretty clean now

there's still some stuff left on em i'll scrub em a bit more tomorrow and maybe wet em a bit when i do it hopefully that should get the rest off

I did a heap once, basically laid out a bit of mild Sandpaper and rubbed them on it, got rid of the majority of foam and scarred them up nicely too which is a must for adansonia germination.

Edited by mr b.caapi
  • Like 1