The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

pan pharm

the biggest drug re-call ever, sparked by folks tripping so heavily on normal doses ov travel sickness pills, that at least 1 tried to desparately get off the plane- mid-flight, & several felt obliged to goto the hospital- they were hallucinating so badly.

anyone know the exact chem in those pills?

HYOSCINE.

The product in question: Travacalm.

Just another reason why we shouldn't trust governments with our health & lives!

The alkaloid in question can easily be obtained from many plants including Brugmansias & Daturas, so why do so many ppl just trust what they are taking when popping a pill?????

Pharmaceutical profits are getting bigger and bigger, and the list of plants available to those who care to research is being dramatically reduced!!!!

FUCK THOSE GREEDY PIGS!!!

Look after ones self and those around.

Travacalm Original,

(Contains dimenhydrinate 50 mg, hyoscine hydrobromide 0.2 mg and caffeine 20mg)

Travacalm H.O.,

(Contains hyoscine hydrobromide 0.3 mg)

I think the Dimenhydrinate may of had more to do with it;)

[ 29. April 2003, 19:42: Message edited by: MOJORISIN ]

Pretty sure it is Travacalm Original that is the one in qustion which is interesting to note because on TV tonight the package shown was of the single ingredient brand Travacalm HO . Gotta love media disinformation at a time of genuine need for accurate reporting of the the facts - but why should this be any different.

Got a fax at work today - all Mayne Logistics health brands (formerly Fauldings)to be recalled. This encompasses Bio Organics, Natures Own, Vitelle, Cenovis & various homebrands of vitamins made for pharmacies that deal with Mayne Logistics under a banner group. Apparently Pan Pharmaceuticals were contracted to make some - not all - of the products, but for reasons that were not entirely altruistic the decision has been made to recall everything.

btw am I too cynical in thinking that people in areas of information control have:

a.Bought & sold shares in Pan Pharmaceuticals over the past week or so.

b.Bought shares in companies such as Blackmores in the past week as a speculative venture.

c.Have as there major concern at present the health of the plebs.

d.Have as there major concern at present the value of the companies shares & their own behinds.

1.a, b, c are true & d is false

2.a,b,d are true & c is false

3.All of above is true

4.This is all a load of bollocks

If more people pulled their heads out of the sand :mad: ;they would find a pharmacopiea(how do you spell it!?) of wealth in their own back yard!!

No-one owns the properties of herbs-these companies capatalise on peoples gullabilty-they all want us to be dependant,yet they give power to the TGA

Pharmaceutical companies claim to harness nature in a fucking bottle-the same attitude as our opressors-"Womans Go Howme!!"

signed....."The Peoples' Front of Judea"

(Not to be confused with the "judean Peoples' Front")

Both Travacalm products were recalled within a matter of a few days of each other, so the problematic ingredient was obviously one that is in both (ie hyoscine).

The most effective (high ED:LD ratio) antidotes to travel sickness are ginger and marijuana, though I have not tried them together. Neither have side-effects I am aware of

Dazd:

Just another reason why we shouldn't trust governments with our health & lives!

The alkaloid in question can easily be obtained from many plants including Brugmansias & Daturas,  so why do so many ppl just trust what they are taking when popping a pill?????

Pharmaceutical profits are getting bigger and bigger, and the list of plants available to those who care to research is being dramatically reduced!!!!

FUCK THOSE GREEDY PIGS!!!

Look after ones self and those around.

SO lets make our own travel sickness pills man.... only ours are made to trip.... :D

Educate, Self-medicate!

the travacalm were said to have between 0% - 700% of the stated amount of active..

ABC's 4 Corners last night is the only thing i've noticed where they mentioned the dangers especially with those who are using it recreationally...they had some excerpts of some drugs newsgroup or forum from south australian(s) .. saying that the 'tripping dose' is a full pack.. another that "it wasn't that fun, it made my mouth dry" and another noted that a friend was "petting a nonexistant cat"

so many comments questioning the effectiveness and reliability of complementary medicines (as though one can't buy loose herbs??) ..trouble is the westerner's spoilt palette..why such great disdain for anything even mildly 'distasteful'?

Torsten:

Both Travacalm products were recalled within a matter of a few days of each other, so the problematic ingredient was obviously one that is in both (ie hyoscine).

My mistake - btw Blackmores shares up 80c yesterday.

Rather ironic that at a time when people concerned with SARS should be improving their immune systems they now have little confidence in their respective natural therapies.

Talking to Mayne Logistics today & they really still don't have an entire picture of everything implicated within their vast array of brands.

BTW that's a reasonable amount of CAFFIENE-the poor mans legal speed-My kids climb the walls after a can of Coke

I gave up caffeine 10 years ago b/c of the panic attacks-Whatever happened to common-sense?

A packet of gingernut cookies would do the trick.

We don't need to buy expensive Pharm's-Fuck'em I say.

(I was talking about the Romans B4,just in case someone out there thinks I'm a Woman hater )

[ 30. April 2003, 20:23: Message edited by: mescalito ]

Jaguars' earlobes anyone - afterall we are all individuals - don't forget it is your inalienable right as a man ... or women ...

think I'll have me some wolf nipple chips - lovely while they're hot :P

Wonder if there were ever quality control "issues" with these delicacies .

[ 30. April 2003, 22:02: Message edited by: Hopping Eagle ]

...supposedly it was safer to take Hyoscine, Hyoscamine, Scopolamine etc. in tablet form because you know exactly how much you are taking as an overdose of tropanes can be lethal..., but if you can't trust the tablets either because they have been tampered with...now I don't know wht's more dangerous...

BTW I hope "Nature's Own" Tyrosine will still be available as other brands are more expensive....

gomaos - most of the Pan stuff is NOT unsafe. The reason why it got taken off the marketis more to punish the company than for actual concerns. In the case of tyrosine there really sin't anything to worry about. The actual amino acid is not manufactured by Pan, but merely dosed and pilled. Anyway, whether you are taking 400mg or 600mg doesn't really make juch difference. I suggest everyone rush out and buy a 6 months supply of whatever they need before it gets taken off the shelves.

You can then check problematic batch numbers from the recall or TGA site.

I think this whole thing reeks of TGA megalomania. Pan can deal with the losses. But can the public??

A bit late getting to this thread, but too bad ... The head of the TGA specifically stated on TV that the Travacalm incident was due to hyoscine, up to a seventimes greater dosage than expected. Personally, I wouldn't dismiss the seriousness of that one too readily. I reported a while back that 2 pills made me a little queasy - might have to revisit that one. The Internet druggie site shown on the news was alt.drugs.psychedelics.

If this action was performed for the benefit of big business, then Pan would appear to be excluded from the club. The talk is that they will either go belly-up, or have their share price reduced by something like 1/4 initially. The price plunged for an hour after the TGA made their announcement, until Pan requested a trading halt. They are probably in a second hole for not informing the stockmarket that they were the subject of a government audit. The chief exec and founder of the company owns half the stock, so would appear to have taken one right in the gonads. That is, unless he managed to unload shares in the last 2 weeks, and has not yet disclosed that.

It was interesting to see the TGA head interviewed where he described the Health Minister as an interested party but not one of the decision-makers for this sort of thing.

'alf a shackel for an ex-leppar

(sorry,coudn't resist!)

been a bit pre-occupied, there was something i only caught the end ov on the news, so i may well be totally wrong; but there was something about pan pharm pills being turned into amphetamine easily.- what was that about?

lets not forget, how after the panadol extortion attempt, the pharma people pushed paracetamol(pleas, dont use it often, it had badly damaged the extortionist) even onto the kids (penguin ad) and some allmost died...

nabraxas:

been a bit pre-occupied, there was something i only caught the end ov on the news, so i may well be totally wrong; but there was something about pan pharm pills being turned into amphetamine easily.- what was that about?

I think that they must have made some generic brand sudafed ie pseudoephedrine.

One of the companies used to deal with - Stephen Hunter - now owned by Herron I think - stopped making their generic sudafed brand because they were having serious security issues at their Ingleburn warehouse re attempted breakins etc