The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hostilis

Great video about williamsii habitat.

I found this video from entheogenesis. I thouroughly enjoyed this and found it very informative. Thank you to Keeper Trout for this.

EDIT: If this isn't cool to post here let me know.

Edited by hostilis
  • Like 6

EDIT: If this isn't cool to post here let me know.

Thanks for the post hostillis, it should be noted that Keeper Trout is a well respected member here. Personally, I feel removing information such as this will only serve to hinder the SAB community...

"Entheogenesis Australis (EGA) is a Not-for-profit association that exists to create a supportive environment to foster mature, open disscusion about psychoactive plants and chemicals"

• Like 1

I just didn't know if it was cool to show a video with his face and everything on it here since he's a member here.

The content was pretty awesome in it so I had to post it. Glad you enjoyed it!

I wonder if Lophophora and Pachanoi share a common ancestor?

Maybe it used to be one species before the ice age, then when the ice melted, the sea rose and the land bridge between North and South America got really narrow, covered with jungle, and the cacti there died out.

The ones in North America adapted to the harsh conditions with floods reshaping the gravel landscape - they grew short and stubby to overcome this environment.

The cacti in South America continued to grow as they used to, but retreated up the mountainsides to maintain their favorite clima.

I guess nobody knows for sure ?

Edited by Quixote
  • Like 1

All cacti share a common ancestor, just as you and bananas share a common ancestor. At least according to evolutionary theory; according to recent molecular evidence bananas and humans share 50% of their DNA and diverged 1300-1600 Million years ago. However, the difference between tall columnar cacti with spines, and small globular cacti with trichomes is probably separated by a decent amount of time. I recently posted a research paper that I did, studying numerous texts on the subject. Here is some of the most recent scientific understanding of Trichocereus.

"Arakaki et. al. 2011, indicates that Trichocereinae has a relatively recent evolutionarily origin, about 7.5-6.5 Mya, and that the genetic divergence between members is far lower than the difference shown by morphological and floral characters. Nyffeler & Eggli (2010), also point out that within the sub-tribe Trichocereinae, the most difficult group to interpret is the macro-genus Echinopsis. With most sources agreeing that despite being polyphyletic, all taxa within tribe Echinopsis are intimately related."

Unfortunately, this website doesn't have any information on Trichocereus :(, but you can compare the separation between many other species.

http://www.timetree.org/index.php

Edited by hookahhead
  • Like 2

Great information, well presented, thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the video a lot.

All cacti share a common ancestor, just as you and bananas share a common ancestor. At least according to evolutionary theory; according to recent molecular evidence bananas and humans share 50% of their DNA and diverged 1300-1600 Million years ago.

Yes, I meant a *recent* common ancestor. Not going all the way back to Uncle Bob the Banana :)

Thanks for the info though.

Thanks!

Despite stumbling through a couple spots and using the word "massive" maybe a hundred times too often, I thought it came out nicely. Well done all of you EGA people!

The last time the earth had a single big continent and right before the Sierras and the Andes began to form the area that eventually became pachanoi's homeland in Ecuador and the area that became the central Mexican highlands (believed to be peyote's ancestral home) were either really close together or else were the same place. The formation of North and South America was rather complex in terms of where the pieces came from and how they got rearranged.

If a person buys the notion that alkaloids are produced for plants by endophytes maybe they share a common endophyte rather than a common ancestor?

Edited by trucha
  • Like 2

I thought it was great. I learned a lot and enjoyed it. Thanks man. You are like a library of knowledge on the subject.

thanks Hostilias and Keeper Trout....................enjoyed every bit of it..........................