The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dreamwalker.

Pelecyphora Aselliformis?...Peyotillo...

I believe cuz this website is in Australia and the Australian law is anal with these kind of things......plus we hate to see these cacti get prohibited to grow and own.

Hold up hold up. So you guys are saying this Rainbow hedgehog cactus has been found to contain alkaloids such as mecaline?

I was previously unaware of this as i own the species and love it very much and im always interested to know which species in what families have been found to contain different alkaloids. its important to document and make it common knowledge among collectors. Its just another part of the plant after all and an important one to it for self defense.

Every time the "M" word comes up it should not trigger censorship right off unless its talking about potency or what have you that is in the rules. But When i first came here i mentioned how specific soil additives were important to several species of cacti for proper alkaloid production. I never even mentioned mescaline and i was warned about my post.

attachicon.gifrainbow.jpg

I think the issue is not your intentions regarding discussion of certain alkaloids more that such discussions generate interest from the wrong kinds of peoples... the forum get pretty high rank search results on google from certain search strings and from what I gather this sorta thing is more the problem rather than your innocent enquiry.

I couldnt care either way but at the end of it all the answers are found elsewhere anyway... just gotta put some time in.

However this is my interpretation of comments posted in countless threads regarding the same issue, regard it just as that and not anything condescending. ..

Besides that the moderators control the forums how they seem fit so not much else matters..

Just curious as to why u think mescaline is a defense tool?? Ie what kind of predator would it deter??

• Like 2

One of my seedlings was an albino so I grafted it to pereskiopsis

Here it is....showing it's pigment-less white color after it was totally red for the first few weeks

yeah it is awesome ...I'd be keen to see it again in a few months.

• Like 2

Hold up hold up. So you guys are saying this Rainbow hedgehog cactus has been found to contain alkaloids such as mecaline?

I was previously unaware of this as i own the species and love it very much and im always interested to know which species in what families have been found to contain different alkaloids. its important to document and make it common knowledge among collectors. Its just another part of the plant after all and an important one to it for self defense.

Every time the "M" word comes up it should not trigger censorship right off unless its talking about potency or what have you that is in the rules. But When i first came here i mentioned how specific soil additives were important to several species of cacti for proper alkaloid production. I never even mentioned mescaline and i was warned about my post.

attachicon.gifrainbow.jpg

NO!

this is the problem with censorship, This is how serious life threatening errors are made and mis-informed rumours start.

Rainbow hedgehog cactus I'm not certain, but I don't think it has any M.The tittle of this post on the other hand may be more to your interest, do a search on that ....

//entheology.com/plants/pelecyphora-aselliformis-peyotillo/

I think gave the info you may desire.

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 2

I think the issue is not your intentions regarding discussion of certain alkaloids more that such discussions generate interest from the wrong kinds of peoples... the forum get pretty high rank search results on google from certain search strings and from what I gather this sorta thing is more the problem rather than your innocent enquiry.

I couldnt care either way but at the end of it all the answers are found elsewhere anyway... just gotta put some time in.

However this is my interpretation of comments posted in countless threads regarding the same issue, regard it just as that and not anything condescending. ..

Besides that the moderators control the forums how they seem fit so not much else matters..

Just curious as to why u think mescaline is a defense tool?? Ie what kind of predator would it deter??

From what i have been told or perhaps read over the past year Mescaline and other alkaloids are present in the plant to help ward off potential predators because the alkaloids are very bitter and unpleasant. Thus a mouse or other animal might take one bite of a cactus and then decide not to eat anymore because of the terrible taste.

I am pretty sure this is correct but hell, misinformation is out there in bucket loads.

The problem is some information which is not on wiki is known by other collectors. I read a post in the thread and got the pictures mixed up with the species in question. I never thought The rainbow had it in it until i saw this thread haha

• Like 1

6 year old P. aselliformis

post-5030-0-63285400-1402049219_thumb.jp

post-5030-0-63285400-1402049219_thumb.jpg

post-5030-0-63285400-1402049219_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

6 year old P. aselliformis

attachicon.gifP. aselliformis.jpg

Wow 6 years!, really a beauty, its grafted on a per right?

• Like 1

Wow 6 years!, really a beauty, its grafted on a per right?

Grown on It's own roots :)

This is a friends plant, pretty sure he said It's a 25+ year old plant

post-5030-0-53173200-1402051331_thumb.jp

post-5030-0-53173200-1402051331_thumb.jpg

post-5030-0-53173200-1402051331_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah I saw one like that at a local nursery, it was their private collection, he was unwilling to part with even just one wee pup, a few mm wide...the selfish bugger and he had so many pups :drool2:

Edited by Dreamwalker

Those are awesome plants interbeing! Did you grow that first one from seed yourself?

Here are my seedlings. Left is P. psuedopectinatus and right is aseliformis. Started april 10th

post-12824-0-43848700-1402081790_thumb.j

post-12824-0-43848700-1402081790_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-43848700-1402081790_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

One of my seedlings was an albino so I grafted it to pereskiopsis

Here it is....showing it's pigment-less white color after it was totally red for the first few weeks

Keen to see how this one turned out.

• Like 1

The graft stalled and the pereskiopsis keeps sending out shoots from everywhere. So I'm waiting till one of my stenocereus starts growing so I can re graft it to it.

Will post an update once it's starts growing again ;)

Keen to see how this one turned out.

It died

In tried to regraft it but it was all dried up from the inside

I guess so too. This isn't the 1st time pereskiopsis behaves this way. No matter how much I cut offshoots from the stock, it keeps on shooting more and not feeding the graft.

Sucks about the variegate!

Here's mine.... considering putting it on it's own roots as it already has some showing.

post-13244-0-75912800-1429138069_thumb.j

Had another graft but the stock shriveled up and rotted before I could catch it killing the scion :(

post-13244-0-75912800-1429138069_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-75912800-1429138069_thumb.jpg