The Corroboree
Jox

Cactus Hybridization

I also crossed an epi with the yellow dragonfruit (Selenicereus megalanthus) Not sure what the fruit will be like, but it should have some ornamental value at least.

• Like 1

I had Trich p and cereus peru.flowering at the same time but no unrelated cereus or trich pollen to fertilise them...............as they do not self pollinate ...........so I crossed them and they are both setting fruit...............the fruit on the cereus log to the right is Trich p x cereus peru....cereus mother

Trich p x cereus peru.....trich mother

Hi Dreamwalker, sounds great. That being said, there are many self-fertile varieties and they usually produce lot´s of seeds without other flowering Cereus around. Again, SOME Varieties, not all. So you´ll have to grow the seed out to find out! ;)

not sure if this one has been mentioned (think EG might have)

Pacherocactus orcuttii

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Cactaceae/Pachycereus_orcuttii.html

Origin: Mexico (Baja California: Rosario), naturally occurring hybrid between Pachycereus pringlei and Bergerocactus emoryi

http://www.koehres-kaktus.de/shop/Cactus-seeds/Pacherocereus---1_764.html?MODsid=qi6uf0betjtt1enseo34s3ng15

• Like 1

There has been a lot of replies which is awesome, I hope members keep adding there successes & failures with cross pollination.

I thought it would be a very long shot but as they were both flowering at the same time I thought it can't hurt to try. They have both set a lot of flowers in the past & never produced seed so I am certain they are not self-fertile.

GOOD NEWS THE TURB HAS SET SEED :o, I am not sure if this is hybrid seed or if the Copiapoa pollen has enabled the turb to self pollinate, I can't wait to grow these seeds out to find out. Here are some photos of the Turb's seed, it did come from the flower I crossed.

attachicon.gif20140218_115952.jpg attachicon.gif20140218_120003.jpg

attachicon.gif20140218_121427.jpg

I will keep updating you with the results.

Cheers

Jox

...SOOOO what happened?? :D Any luck with them germinating??...

I crossed a mammillaria theresae with l. williamsii (and vise versa) last week. Hope it takes. I'm also crossing L. alberto vojtechii x williamsii, williamsii x alberto, wiliamsii x turbinicarpus lophophorides, lophophorides x williamsii, alberto x lophophorides, lophophorides x alberto. I hope that at least one of the crosses take. We'll see. Maybe I should use that cement method.

• Like 6

Nice Hostilis! Let us know! ...waiting...

If you get the chance you should definitely try crossing the alberto with fricii or koehresii. I think these would be more likely to succeed than with williamsii.

If somebody has pollen they want to send me I will give it a try, but I do not have any flowering fricii/koehresii right now.

i was just looking at a cuzco and thought "has there been a cuzco x bridgesii hybrid yet?" and if so are there any pics?

• Like 1

So the Lophophora williamsii x Mammillaria theresae and Mammilaria theresae x Lophophora williamsii are both producing fruits. And funny enough, the only fruit that's forming on the williamsii is the one that I crossed with mammillaria theresae even though there's 5 other flowers that happened so far. The williamsii x theresae flower was the third one to bloom and the first one to fruit. I'm guessing it's just because i tricked it with pollen from the mammillaria into self fertilization (maybe it's a self sterile williamsii?) I''ll plant the seeds, graft one from each cross, and see what happens.

• Like 3

Flower 6 and fruit 1 on this dude in the last few months. This fruit that formed is the one I used Mammillaria theresae pollen on. I'm thinking maybe it's a self sterile one and I tricked it into s.elf pollination. I am testing that theory by polinating the new flowers with T. lophophorides and L, alberto pollen. But my fingers are still crossed that I got an L. williamsii x M. theresae fruit.

post-12824-0-63366800-1405885076_thumb.j post-12824-0-21942000-1405885098_thumb.j

post-12824-0-63366800-1405885076_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-21942000-1405885098_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-63366800-1405885076_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-21942000-1405885098_thumb.jpg

Edited by hostilis
  • Like 2

How can you tell?

The flower features; Wider more round petals with distinguishable pink stripes, short style comparable to the length of the stamens, Fleshy and more pinkish stigma (a main feature to look for in the southern form is a longer style and thinner stigma). There's too much variability for these features to always be an exact thing but your flowers look like very typical northern form to me. PM me an email address if you like and I'll send you a pdf with some good info on the stuff.

• Like 2

I own a Ferobergia (Ferocactus X Leuchtenbergia)... it has gone through hell but its growing ok now

I own a Ferobergia (Ferocactus X Leuchtenbergia)... it has gone through hell but its growing ok now

any chance of a pic sometime?

• Like 1

P1120264.jpg

Ferobergia

the spines are much harder , not papery like in Leuchtenbergia...

Edited by mutant
  • Like 4

they're one of the most beautiful genuses IMO , Stenocactus (Echinofossulatus)

have praised them here and you'll find some pics I think

they rule and like turbinis they flower twice a year here..

somebody cross turbinis with stenocacti

Edited by mutant
  • Like 2

Myrtillocactus geometrizans x Stenocereus pruinosus. The hybridisation was not done by me.

myrtxsten.jpg

The guy that sold this to me has listed an identical plant under Myrtillocactus x Lemaireocereus... Not sure what's going on there but I don't like it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Myrtillocactus-X-Lemaireocereus-in-a-63mm-pot-Cacti-Succulent-Plants-/271574476142?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

post-11985-0-34271000-1390791979_thumb.jpg

post-11985-0-34271000-1390791979_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

WoW!

little fruit x big fruit...be interesting to see it fruit....

Lemaireocereus synonym of Stenocereus

Edited by Dreamwalker

I got a plant at home depot labeled Lamairocereus Chende, and have seen it called Polaskia Chende....

found this just now on Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaskia

Polaskia (named after American amateur Charles Polaski) is a genus of tree-like cacti reaching 4–5 m high, comprising 2species. Both present primitive characteristics, but Polaskia chichipe is nearer to Myrtillocactus while Polaskia chende is nearer to Stenocereus. The genus is found in the Mexican states of Puebla and Oaxaca.