The Corroboree

"Some people have neurological quirks that give them extraordinary perceptual powers. What can we learn from them?

Ordinary people with superior perceptual skills walk among us, absorbing information from the everyday world which is debarred to the rest of us. We cant spot them, but they can pick up the faintest traces of smell or taste. They might see coloured auras that correspond to the expressed emotions of others. Some of them can even experience the pain or pleasure felt by other people. As one of these unlikely superhumans, Mary, a 53-year-old therapist, explains: If I see pain inflicted, I feel pain myself. If I see gentleness in a touch of a hand, I get pleasure from the softness and love I can feel in that touch. In neurological circles, Mary is known as a mirror-touch synaesthete. She literally feels what other people feel.

Psychological research I've conducted with colleagues at University College London and the University of Sussex indicates that one to two people out of a hundred experience mirror-touch sensations from childhood. We've noticed that, for such people, observing pain evokes the most intense experience. One of the mirror-touch synaesthetes weve worked with, whom Ill call Alan, has to work hard to reassure himself that hes not actually experiencing the things he feels. When I see someone being touched, I have to consciously remind myself that I am not being touched myself, he says. When I see pain, its the same, except the feeling is more intense; it draws my attention more [and] makes me think, Oh, I am watching pain and it is not there.

Such abilities might seem like miraculous gifts, not unlike the supernatural powers given to the character Lydia in the US television series Heroes the ability to feel the emotions, thoughts, hopes, and desires of others or the extraordinary sensory powers bestowed on the streetwise teens in the British comedy-drama Misfits. But these abilities often require careful managing. Mary, for example, finds it impossible to see violence depicted on screen. I hate it when my husband watches violent movies, she told us. I cannot watch them, because I feel overloaded. This is obviously not a pleasant experience and its a downside to my synaesthesia. But the sensations are not always overwhelming. The upside, said Mary, is that I also experience the nice touches, the caresses and the hugs. None of the experiences last for long, and for that I am grateful.

Ironically, just as we might imagine what a sensory-enhanced life might be like for a mirror-touch synaesthete, they, too, often try to imagine what a life seemingly benumbed must be like for the rest of us. For Alan, Living with mirror-touch is at its most interesting when I stop and observe it, and think how fascinating it is that other people dont experience it. But when his condition fails to fascinate him, it can be burdensome: It becomes a bit overwhelming at times, especially in crowded places.

Terms such as overwhelming or fascinating crop up a good deal when we talk to mirror-touch synaesthetes about their everyday experiences. One man I interviewed reported feeling cold in his fingertips whenever I touched a glass filled with ice. While mirrored thermal sensations are rare, they do share with mirrored touch sensations the quality of anatomical specificity. The mirrored feeling is experienced in exactly the same part of the body as the person actually experiencing the cold, heat or pain feels it a finger for a finger, an arm for an arm, an eye for an eye.

For most, the mirrored-touch sensation directly mirrors what they see observing someone touch the left side of the face evokes in them a sensation on the right side of the face. But for a few, the mirrored sensation is anatomically mapped if they see someone touch the left side of their face theyll feel it on the left side of their own face. So while some synaesthetes treat observed touch as though looking directly in the mirror, others rotate their perspective to that of the observed person.

With the help of functional brain imaging, we have begun to understand why some individuals possess this particular ability. We asked a group of mirror-touch synaesthetes to watch videos of other people being touched, and gave the same task to a group of people without mirror-touch synaesthesia. When we compared the brain scans of the two groups, we learnt that anyone, synaesthete or not, recruits parts of the brain involved in experiencing touch themselves (the mirror-touch system). Our brains mirror observed experiences. In people with mirror-touch synaesthesia, this empathetic system is over-excitable, and can activate rapidly to reach a threshold that allows them to experience tactile sensations literally.

But we still dont understand the precise mechanisms leading to this pattern of brain activity. Experimental findings seem to suggest that we all show a greater tendency to mirror observed touch when the person experiencing the event is more similar to ourselves. And this raises the possibility that the networks involved in distinguishing representations of oneself from others act as a gate to levels of excitability in those brain regions involved in mirroring.

It is possible that, in people who experience mirror-touch sensations, the levels of excitability of the neural networks governing the ability to distinguish oneself from others leads to a change in normal mirroring mechanisms. Simply put, the brain of an individual who experiences mirror-touch sensations effectively treats the body of another person as though it were her own.

Mirror-touch synaesthetes might be viewed as societys natural empathisers people wired to excel at putting themselves in another persons shoes. This can be a delight, or a burden. Or a peculiarly human, if amplified, mix of the two.

In studies Ive undertaken with Jamie Ward, professor of psychology at the University of Sussex, weve found that people who experience mirror-touch show heightened levels of emotional reactive empathy that is, the ability to understand and share the affective states or feelings of others. Another study Ive been involved in, published in the Journal of Neuroscience (2011), indicates that individuals with mirror-touch are significantly better than the rest of us at recognising the facial emotions of others, though not necessarily better at recognising who those people are. Mirror-touch synaesthetes outperform control subjects when tasked with naming the facial emotions of people photographed smiling, fretting, frowning, puzzling, gurning and so forth. We were able to rule out any suggestion that their better scores were the result of greater effort, or that they were better with faces generally, because when tested on their ability to name the people in the photographs, those with mirror-touch performed no better than those without.

One of the ways we understand other peoples emotions is by putting ourselves in their place. To understand if someone is angry, we simulate what it is like to experience anger ourselves. If someone is sad, we simulate sadness. When these simulation mechanisms are over-excitable, as in mirror-touch synaesthesia, they can spill over and facilitate other abilities, such as emotion-recognition, which also use mirroring processes. In this sense, people with mirror-touch can tell us how much the degree to which we simulate the experiences of others can contribute to broader social-perception abilities, such as emotion-recognition and empathy.

It is not just synaesthetes who possess apparent superpowers. Supertasters, for example, perceive stronger taste sensations from a variety of everyday substances, including alcohol, coffee and green tea.

To supertasters, sugar tastes sweeter, the bitterness of, say, Brussels sprouts, is exaggerated, carbon dioxide bubbles in fizzy drinks are more pronounced, and there is more burn from oral irritants such as alcohol. On the whole, supertasting might be more of an irritating power than a superpower. Indeed, some supertasters experience less enjoyment from food and drink and are therefore less likely to indulge, which might explain why female supertasters at least are thinner than non-tasters (people at the other end of the tasting spectrum). At root, supertasters have a greater number of fungiform papillae (the mushroom-shaped dots on the front of your tongue) and taste buds. There are no known complex neural pathways involved in this particular ability.

But its a different matter with super-recognisers. These are a rare group of individuals who excel in the ability to remember faces. First reported in 2009 by researchers at Harvard University and Dartmouth College, these are people who really never forget a face. They can recognise people whom they might have seen only a few times in their lives or, as Brad Duchaine, one of the Dartmouth College research team, puts it, an extra they saw in a movie years before.

Such people can identify casual staff that served them years earlier, a waitress at a motorway inn they passed through, a car-park attendant they once glimpsed, or a fellow department store shopper with whom they never interacted. The difficulties that this super-ability might cause in social settings are easy enough to imagine, and many super-recognisers will hide their memory of long-ago encounters to avoid discomfiting people who never even registered them.

Work is ongoing to determine just how common super-recognisers are, but there is some evidence to suggest that they can put their skills to good use. For example, the Metropolitan Police Service in London used super-recognisers in their ranks to help identify individual rioters during the 2011 riots across the capital.

So, some people can feel the sensations of others, some can pick up on the faintest emotions, and some can excel in their memory. What about the rest of us? Are these abilities simply out of our reach or are there ways in which we might enhance these faculties in ourselves?

With supertasting, it would seem that biological factors stand in our way, but what about developing a superior memory, or the ability to excel in emotion sensitivity? This is an avenue that many labs are now starting to pursue testing the extent to which we can improve perception and memory by using training and techniques that help us to modulate brain activity in order to aid performance. By studying people with superior psychological skills we can begin to unpack key processes that aid their abilities, processes which, in turn, could be used to help the rest of us become a bit more superhuman."

Source: http://aeon.co/magazine/being-human/michael-banissy-mirror-touch-synaesthesia-and-empathy/

So SAB, any super humans amoung us? Don't be shy.

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 1

only constant deja vu. nothing special

• Like 1

2834017-ubermensch.jpg

Like Quarterflesh, get the déjà vu. A lot of times lately it's like I have already done this. Like the world is out of sink by a few months or year at the most.

Deja vu sometimes makes me afraid that we are just repeating lifetimes over and over and over until we finally click to the lessons we need to learn :unsure:

I am pretty certain I have abnormally acute hearing. Sounds that others don't even notice can completely possess my attention, which can be extremely frustrating sometimes, dripping taps, electrical buzzing, music that someone is playing half a block away or the neighbours chickens squawking can drive me half insane occasionally. I also sometimes experience a physical sensation inside my head or body in reaction to certain noises, it's like a vibrational echo which takes place inside me.

At one point I was feeling vibrations in my head a few seconds before a car would drive past, and I would feel the vibrations before I could actually hear the sound of the vehicle. That was a bit scary, glad it stopped actually.

Distracted, that sounds like an, err .. 'useful' superpower. You'd better hope those Taoists aren't right, otherwise you'll probably be dead in no time due to excessive out-put of vital life-force energies :slap:

• Like 3

I had just arrive back in the city after doing one of those intense 10 day vipassana meditation retreats............and passed 2 guys on the street, engaged in a full and furious argument ......and the sensation on the side of my body that passed them was like an instant of burning......as if I'd somehow passed through their bubble of reality..............I think it was a kind of empathy that we all have but naturally close down...............so we can insulate and focus ourselves.................that kind of meditation opens up all your doors and windows...................but they snap shut quickly when you return to the day to day going on's........................and I believe there may be plants out there that can open doors as well........ :)

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 3

you know, i think all people have the capacity for superhuman sensory perception, if they'd just move out from from the modern slipstream of technological interconnectedness. christianity attempted to denigrate witchcraft and paganism because it felt it couldn't co-opt it into its centralised command/control but there's a reason it existed. because humans have an amazing ability to perceive and feel other humans and the life around them. i mean think about it, how many hundreds of thousands/millions of years evolution have we had together? how can we spend all that time with each other and and not developed an uncanny ability to perceive each others feelings? christianity wanted to destroy that because if humans knew they were the conduits to the spiritual world then the catholic bishops and more importantly the pope would become irrelevant (and their riches lost).

• Like 5

Thank you for bringing this up Ceres.

I normally hate talking about it because no one seems to believe me.

Oh they say they believe me, but at the same time I feel the 'oh he's so sweet and deluded, I believe he believes what he says....!'

Even my girlfriend I have been with for 14 years feels that way despite all I have told her and all the examples that have occurred.

It makes it very difficult for me to talk to people who are in denial about their true feelings, or who have never even stopped to think what ARE their true feelings.

They say one thing but my senses tell me something else!

I've tried SO MANY TIMES to try confronting people about how they really feel only to get their emotional denial brick wall. :BANGHEAD2:

Living in a society which teaches little more than; here's your physical body, here's your sex organs, go forth and multiply!

With out giving much though to how we and others feel about our world or what Love is, and the different types of love.

Its all just rolled up into the one ball of; find someone to have sex with and you will live happily ever after!

At least that seems to be what the girls are programmed to think, while the guys "love" sex but then mature to appreciate the "love" of living through their children.

(All apologies to those living their love through their children, I really am sorry to have to be the one to say that)

Particularly with ego based people, they tend to think I'm either trying to attack them in some strange way or must be having some sort of mental breakdown.

People find it strange that despite how much I love my partner and knowing how much she loves me, I have lived alone without her all that time.

Being around people for long periods (sometimes even only for a moment) tends to mess with my emotions and my head. I seem to quickly adopt the other persons emotions and mimic their feelings. Which in some cases, is such strange behavior from me that I can quickly feel their sense of awkwardness.

They seem to feel I'm either mocking them or just pretending so I can play some sort of weird hook up game.

Ive lost count of the number of times I've gone through the experience of a girl trying to flirt with me, giving me the feeling she was interested in me and what I was saying, only to feel a change (after some time about me talking about whatever it is Im into at the time) to disappointment!

Although they kept smiling then made an excuse to leave..

Ive come to realise that's the point (the disa-point (Ive just coined it! )) when they realise I have no intent of fulfilling their misguided belief of falling-in-sex with them I mean love or whatever you kids call it these days.

To me its the female playing a game of; Get him hooked on my body and then I will lay back and have kids while prince charming supplies all of my needs!

In the process sucking all the joy of life out of the guy.

No wonder there is so much emotional trauma in the world.

But (as usual) I'm drifting a little off topic..

Much of my youth was spent both trying to stay away from everyone (especially my 'family' which felt terrible that I couldn't love, or feel love from them because of the dark feelings inside them) and trying to self medicate with herbs. :bong:

In that stoned daze I built up a shell around me, no longer caring about anyone (especially myself), but at the very least I found some peace being separated from the emotions of other people.. for a while..

Eventually I traveled further into the density of materialistic-ego with more and more negative emotions (especially anger) surrounding me, and relying more and more on my herbs to get by. I was also working in an environment that was far more toxic both physically and emotionally than the majority of people can believe anyone would choose to stay in for as long as I did. It was killing me. Both physically and spiritually. I could no longer breathe at night when I tried to sleep and my soul was rotting (you don't want soul rot, when starts in your soul there's nothing to amputate!)

So I took a big risk and left for the unknown.

Eventually when I had shed all these toxic influences things started to come back to me, like the 'clairsentience'

Now days I find it difficult to even watch a film like "Babe" regardless of how many times Ive seen it, I seem to become so attached to the emotional story you'd think Id just received a phone call telling me everyone I ever cared about just died by the amount of tears Ive shed by the time the film gets to the little pig and the farmer getting laughed at during the sheep herding competition!

Other things came back as well, like the precognition.

But that was something I consciously blocked when I was 8, after being show a vision that was.. lets say "unappealing" to me.

At the time, the voice in my head that was showing me it to try and weaken my resolve with myself to commit suicide, so I told "the voice" to "Shut the fuck up and leave me alone so I could die!"

The vision was along the lines of me being a leader.

I said to the voice at that time "Why would I want people following me? I hate them!"

"The voice" just smiled this big golden smile I could see in my mind.

It (mostly) obeyed my request to stop talking to me though.

Sometimes I would get highly vivid dreams of some cryptic situation.

As it turned out these were small snatches of my life from the future events which would more often than not play out exactly detail for detail as in the dream.

One of them I even seemed to alter very slightly by changing the circumstances a little before it was completely fulfilled.

Once I even found myself trapped in a vision of another persons desire for me for a few seconds!

One moment I was knocking on the door of prospective garden job, then, as soon as it opened, wham! I was trapped in my mind hugging this lady joyfully! Everything looked bright but hazy..I came out of this vision to find my body moving towards a hugging position! Startled at what had and was happening I turned it into a handshake and 'acted' normally.

There's more stuff I could say but Ive just realised how hungry I am so I will just finish my post with a relevant song by possibly my favorite band..

Oh yeah, before I go, the de-ja-vu thing? typically for me its partially remembered precognitive dreams.. It sucks that you dont "remember" them till after the incident occurs!

But I always felt (in the past, Im starting to appreciate these 'gifts') all these 'gifts' pretty suckfull! Cant prove them, cant 'use' them (for material gain) and it sort of makes you feel like you've pulled the shortest straw in the "psychic abilities" bundle.

Why couldn't I have "telekinesis" and make my dinner from the comfort of my lounge! Or go for a fly around the place!

Or teleportation ! That would be cool! I'd never be late again!

Oh well, at least I'm not a super taster..

• Like 3

I feel magnetic fields (I think thats what it is anyway its an "energy" )

I feel it on different geologies....mines and cities take it out if me....and I thought when at an aluminium smelter I was going mad.

I cannot be in a city for long periods of time.

I could also read peoples body language since a child....before I could even comprehend such a thing. I am well read now on the subject, and get asked to sit in on meetings or watch interactions from a distance :wink:

EDIT - ^ the mental mentalist

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 2

I have been able to lucidly dream from a relatively young age.

I can also tell when a television is on in my vicinity without seeing or hearing it, probably an EMF sensitivity? :scratchhead:

Lately I've been getting a bit of an aura thing happening (visually) with certain objects and people, but when I try to clutch at it consciously it fades...

AND I can use coffee like ampetamine. :devil:

Deja vu as well :wink: .... and a little bit like Distracted, minus about 55 :unsure: Callouses anyone :huh::blush:

I can use smileys like there is no fucking tomorrow as well, and weed tends to bring out an avenue to connect sympathetically with animals, especially insects :lol:

• Like 3

I had just arrive back in the city after doing one of those intense 10 day vipassana meditation retreats............and passed 2 guys on the street, engaged in a full and furious argument ......and the sensation on the side of my body that passed them was like an instant of burning......as if I'd somehow passed through their bubble of reality..............I think it was a kind of empathy that we all have but naturally close down...............so we can insulate and focus ourselves.................that kind of meditation opens up all your doors and windows...................but they snap shut quickly when you return to the day to day going on's........................and I believe there may be plants out there that can open doors as well........ :)

Wow, that sounds like a powerful moment! I have a very similar belief structure regarding empathy and I have felt somewhat similar sensations throughout my life, for a while it was so bad I felt like a human sponge, absorbing the emotions of everyone around me. Going into town to attend uni was a horrific experience around that time. Sitting on a bus full of bored, run down, depressed people for 20minutes filled me with this stagnant, dreadful nothingness where I felt completely bogged down by existence, even though my own mental state was pretty good.

It took a lot of work to establish healthier energetic boundaries, and I eventually realised I had become very attuned to negative emotions in particular as I had been preened to do so by a childhood spent around two very depressed parents.

It's hard when you are experiencing something which does not originate from within you, because you can't do anything to change or work on the root cause of those feelings. I had to learn where to draw the line and say to myself 'this is me' and 'all of this is not me' before I could even begin to unravel the muck I had found myself in. Thank fuck I learnt that one then. I doubt I would still be here if I hadn't.

you know, i think all people have the capacity for superhuman sensory perception, if they'd just move out from from the modern slipstream of technological interconnectedness.

I absolutely agree. I think we are all born with extraordinary sensory capabilities which are usually ground out of us as we are indoctrinated into a society which tells us those sorts of perceptions aren't 'real' and talking about them is unacceptable. Some of my interactions with very young children have pretty much confirmed these thoughts, you can easily hide your true emotions from adults, but not from a three year old.

This process of shutting down is intensified greatly by social pressure and stigma associated with being 'crazy' or 'different' in the early years of schooling, so most people just repress what they really pick up on, ignoring it until the sensations fade into the smog of denial.

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey....! Wow. I can relate to ALOT of what you said there. Very very much of it actually. I suspect we have had many influential factors in common.

I only have to self-assuredness to bring up such a topic due to the recent arrival of a very special new friend in my life. I met this chick recently and we both instantly felt like we had been friends for lifetimes. We started talking one day and before we knew it we were discussing our experiences of psychic and extra sensory phenomena that we had never been able to even begin to talk to ANYONE about without feeling judged or shut down. The strange thing is that we had had so many of the same experiences we may as well have been twins. It was an absolute relief and joy for both of us to finally encounter someone who knows first hand what you are talking about, and is willing to express the experiences which the majority of society outright denies the possibility of. I hope you will find someone in your non-Internet-life who understands all this and you too.

I can very much relate to what you said about people shutting off completely when they realise you have no desire to fulfil their wishes of you falling-in-sex with them! (Love the terminology btw) Also what you said about perceiving people's desire for you. It can be a really scary thing, and I'm glad you mentioned it because I had only been able to talk about it with aforementioned new female friend, but it makes complete sense that the same thing can occur for males. I have even felt what I could only class as a form of psychic-rape, where someone intentionally enters your mind and enforces their will on you, with the singleminded goal of causing sexual arousal in you. This has only happened when I have been under the influence of mind-expanding substances, and the person in question is certainly not your standard human (sick twisted fuck, alien-demon perhaps), so I feel somewhat assured that I could fight off such an attack if it ever occurred again in future. When I mentally confronted them in the moment it was happening and declared that I wasn't into this, this isn't what I want, suddenly the tune changed and I was absolutely bombarded with the most sickening disgusting imagery I have ever witnessed in my entire life. For a long time I was scared this was just some delusion of mine, but after talking with my new friend and hearing her relay extremely similar experiences I am now grounded in my belief that such things are completely possible, and probably happen a lot without people's awareness of what is going on.

I could say a lot lot more, but will leave it at that. Pm me anytime if you wanna chat Mikey.

WB! That's awesome! Have you ever used a dowsing rod? Well, you are probably a human dowsing rod, but it could be interesting to see if you can amplify these sensitivities.

That's also very cool that your work has recognised the value of your ability and is willing to employ it. Body language has been something I have also intuitively understood since childhood. It can really take people off guard if you can effectively relay to them what you perceive, with some friends of mine such a tactic has been very useful in breaking down barriers and getting people to express what they are really feeling. You can scare the shit out of some people doing that though.

Responsible Choice, I completely agree that lucid dreaming is a super power! I would love to hear more about your own and other people's experiences with lucid dreaming and also astral projection/OBEs although that definitely deserves a whole thread to itself!!

I have also found a lot of these strange perceptions are evasive to conscious-clutching! Like it is occurring on some quantum level where you can't employ your conscious attention without dissipating or changing the phenomena. It seems you almost have to observe it with your peripheral vision in some sense, observe gently without much concentration or excitement.

Funny you say that about animals and insects too. I have always been extremely empathetic with animals. Since I was a teeny tiny baby I cared more about the feelings of the pet cat than the mentally unstable humans in the vicinity.

There is a funny thread floating around somewhere in the spirituality & philosophy sub forum about the period of time where I thought my thoughts were directly connected to the appearance and behaviour of the insects I encountered in my environment. I really did think I was going mad at the time, and in some way I probably was, although i now feel that it was a transitional period where my limited awareness of self was transcending into an awareness connected to a greater, universal self.

I love bugs still and care for them as deeply as animals. Unlike other girls who might kill a spider in their shower, I say hello to it and then sing to it and escort it outdoors when I have finished.

Wow. Thanks for being open and open-minded people. Awesome to hear your thoughts and perceptions around this ever expanding subject that is awareness.

Ps if anyone thinks I'm mad reading this post, I completely understand and hold no grudges for this. I know everyone experiences reality differently and I do not seek to convince anyone of my experiences or that any of this phenomena is objectively true, I am at a point where I can understand what is true for me is likely not true for others.

• Like 4

Just as a PS:

I also vibe very strongly on first encounters with women who are sick. By that I mean usually when I meet a woman for the first time I can some how sense if they have some sort of illness, be it chronic, physical or mental. Not that I straight out ask them, but many times I have found subsequently that someone I thought might have had some sort of fairly serious, non-obvious condition indeed has. It is slightly lessened with males though, perhaps because the etheric body of women is so much stronger than that of men. :huh:

I have found that removing flouride from my body, coupled with regular meditation makes all of this stuff a little clearer. :wink:

• Like 1

I would love to hear more about your own and other people's experiences with lucid dreaming and also astral projection/OBEs although that definitely deserves a whole thread to itself!!

I have also found a lot of these strange perceptions are evasive to conscious-clutching! Like it is occurring on some quantum level where you can't employ your conscious attention without dissipating or changing the phenomena. It seems you almost have to observe it with your peripheral vision in some sense, observe gently without much concentration or excitement.

I've only taken one timid astral travel, and it was completely involuntary;

I must have had an easy quiet day at work, my normal nice salad for lunch not too much mental activities.

Came home to my normal ritual.. :bong:

Feeling mentally 'clear' I went into the veg patch to break up the soil with a digging fork.

I felt a rare spot of peace and.. its hard to describe.. 'clarity' doesn't quite cover it, nor does 'empty' or 'fulfilled' it was more like 'one with everything' however one perceives that to be.

My mind was 'blank'

Then everything seemed to be 'black'!

I was gently floating 'upwards' it seemed, it was wonderful!

But then I started to think.. "where am I?"

I started to become a bit frightened.

I was semi-aware I had left my body "where was my body? What was happening to it? Was it safe? Had I died unexpectedly?"

I scrambled to take my mind back to what had just happened...the last thing I could remember was I was standing in a garden bed (near a trellis made of star pickets and wire) breaking up the soil while taking slow deep breaths which were filling me with ever increasing pleasure in my brain.

I was worried I had fallen over and hit my head or something (not the first time for that!)

Starting to panic, I suddenly found myself snapped back into my body with the recoil of a rubber band.

I was exactly where I had left my 'self'.

Standing in the veg patch with my digging fork in hand.

I was amazed I hadn't fallen over!

Ive never successfully repeated the experience.

My physical body seems too fearful of letting go of my spirit, and tends to anchor it whenever I've tried since.

re Aura perception; Ive been able to see some of this on two occasions, once it was my own (a redish orange at the time) and once from my father (a blue colour).

All of these experiences were unplanned things that just seemed to spontaneously happen.

I'm unsure how to replicate them.

Other than my herbal smoke or a little alcohol (normally something I avoid but when in company with my anti-smoking father and saw his aura I had drank a little) no other intoxicants legal or not had been used, although there are times when even my normal relaxants were not used but things happened.

It seems to be more related to that mental state of 'oneness'

Yeah I know that sounds a bit crap a hippyish but that's the closest I can describe the 'feeling' required to enter the state being to access these 'abilities'.

Edited by MikeyMagic
  • Like 1

'Love hormone' oxytocin carries unexpected side effect

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-01-hormone-oxytocin-unexpected-side-effect.html

......."study, published in the American Psychological Association's journal Emotion, study shows that, in healthy young adults, too much oxytocin can actually result in oversensitivity to emotions in others."........................

• Like 2

yep I ghetto dowse all the time for work Ceres :wink: I can find a variety of things

I find body language stronger than words....

• Like 1

2 nights ago I stayed in a motel at a pub out west for work. never been there before. walked in the room and bam. like a rush to the head it was like I had been there 100 times. I felt it so deeply that I had to tell my mate who was staying with me. I cant remember it happening like that before but i can easily say it shocked and impressed me.

• Like 2

I'm a 'standard' synasthete; sensory cross over.

I taste some words and see sounds (to a greater or lesser extent at different times)

My mum has it too, not as strongly as me though; there is apparently a genetic component to it.

My weirdest experience was falling while on the cusp of sleep only to wake when my entire body lying completly flat sank into the bed as i hit the ground (in the semi- dream state) and then bounced straight up as if i was on a trampoline - whether i had been levitating or not i could never figure out, but it was very weird and interesting!

I've got fair success as a dowser (L rods and pendulum) at least one of my brothers (who is a complete sceptic) is also very proficient with rods.

I've had limited but clear success with telekinesis (it takes a hell of a lot of practice for small result, for me at least)

One of my friends is a magnet and can affect compasses and stick small ferrous objects to herself

• Like 2

Just as a PS:

I also vibe very strongly on first encounters with women who are sick.

Detecting sickness by smell

Humans are able to smell sickness in someone whose immune system is highly active .................................research published in Psychological Science..................................

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-01-sickness.html

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 2

Smell aye? :huh:

I had a read, and perhaps it's related to what I'm talking about, but I've found it not so much to apply to infections or a cold or something, more like chronic conditions like depression, anemia, thyroid dysfunction, reproductive health issues, etc.

Basically shit that you can't see, but that for me leaves an unmistakable vibe. :puke:

• Like 1

I've always thought I was a bit odd lol

U know those tvs that have the "bunny ears" antennae, their reception will always fuk

Up when I go in the room, same goes with radios with antenna. My family and friends will confirm it.

:)

Due to a tragic accident involving me accidentally cutting the end tip of my thumb off, I can also detect incoming phone calls seconds before they occur on my mobile if I'm holding it!

I tend to drop my phone a lot from shock!

:lol:

• Like 2

speaking of tragic

sucks when you realise the development of whatever abilities has "hit the wall" and might be tapering off to an eventual stop or reversal

IMO It has an ebb and flow about it, depending on how willing/able you are to develop.

Practice makes perfect!

• Like 4