The Corroboree
solomon

Wanted: Withania and other plants for arthritis/psoriasis

I'm a bit more settled now but not having much luck striking any cuttings from my one Withania plant so I'm on the look out for seed.

Recently got the doc's diagnosis for psoriatic arthritis so looking for any plants that help with the immune system, inflammation etc..

Planning to do a bit of a write up on what I have discovered so far and how it ties in with Aryuveda, Chinese herbalism and Western medical thought.

Any species other than Withania somnifera, or different chemotypes would be appreciated.

Would be great to get a lot of seed as there isn't anyone growing it here and I would like to spread it through the community.

Don't have too much to trade at the moment but I'm pretty sure I have given out a bit of this seed before, if so would appreciate if someone sent a few back to me

Trades ( will add more when i remember )

Nicotiana rustica seed

Coriaria seed

Trichocereus hybrid seed

or i could draw you a nice picture

Edited by solomon

Shall send you a pm.

You should see if any nz peeps have any tulsi as well - might go well with some turmeric and Withania. Can't remember if I have any Withania seed left, will have to check and get back to you.

can't help you on that..but loads of other plants help with inflammation (as you know)......Tumeric Dosage for Arthritis. Curcumin may alleviate arthritis by inhibiting several enzymes necessary for the inflammatory process to occur.

I make my own bread and put 1 cup in the mix along with freshly ground black pepper (said to add cucumins bio absorption).an easy way to eat it ....unless you like loads of curry......bin inn.............sometimes can find fresh root from Fiji in some spice shops.....probably more available up north,,,,,,,,,,,,(finely chopped up into bread mix......)

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 1

I have echinacea angustifolia likely not too helpful with what you ask but many people like echinacea brews to help with immunity.

Wiki has this information "Many bio-actives compounds showed Anti-inflammatory activities on albino rat. Anti-inflammatory activity of Plumbago zylanica consists of Bioactive compound Plumbagin showed high activity in very low concentration.[14] More recently plumericin from the Amazonian plant Himatanthus sucuuba has been described as a potent anti-inflammatory agent in vitro and in vivo.[15]"

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-inflammatory#Health_supplements

I did scan the articles but I am in no state to be typing as I am beyond tired. Time for bed.

• Like 1

Pretty sure I know an organic seed supplier in nz. Will be back with a link I hope.

Otherwise I have a plant which survived a whole winter outdoors, it's in flower now so I should get some berries sometime soon.

Hi Solomon, I don't know much at all about Psoriatic Arthritis so not sure if my contribution will help at all. My dad actually cured his psoriasis with cold pressed olive oil. He had it for as long as I can remember, then a number of years ago he started rubbing cold pressed olive oil into the psoriasis & within 12 months it was gone never to return. I always reccommend Cissus Quadrangularis for any kind of joint problems, it's great stuff IMO. My plants are in a rapid grow cycle ATM so I will wait a few weeks but after that I can send you some cuttings if you would like. Just give me a PM with a destination.

Peas,

Muskrat

^ hey muskrat, how & what dosages would you recommend when working with the straight plant material.

(with the Cissus)

Edited by LokStok

Personally I have used cissus for a shoulder injury. At the time I would dry & powder the plant material & place into '00' size gel caps. I would have 2 or 3 capsules 3 times a day. This dose worked well for me. The best advice I can give would be know your own body well & research. I hope this at least partially answers your question.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks.

Thinking about external usage, in the form of a paste or salve, specifically on a troublesome middle finger joint.

Might give it a go.