The Corroboree
Dreamwalker.

nsa quantum computer break encryption

US National Security Agency is making strides toward building a "quantum computer" that could break nearly any kind of encryption, The Washington Post reported Thursday.
Edited by Dreamwalker

I'm highly skeptical. It would be the first time (that I'm aware of anyway) that any organisation has secretly made such significant advancements in any technology. This would be more significant than the Manhattan project, and that was instigated by Albert Einstein and required the cooperation of several other leading physicists.

Edited by ballzac
  • Like 1

my understanding was that they're no further along than other researchers.

• Like 2

There's been a lot of research news lately on developments in quantum computing.......its not just privacy.......such power could mould markets..................infrastructure..................theft on epic scale...........................I doubt bit coin would survive................and like the Manhattan p. it is an arms race....................their budget is probably printable/no limit...................

[ I'm highly skeptical. ]

I'm shocked!!

[ It would be the first time (that I'm aware of anyway) that any organisation has secretly made such significant advancements in any technology. ]

I would imagine that secrecy would keep you from being aware of it??

[ This would be more significant than the Manhattan project, and that was instigated by Albert Einstein and required the cooperation of several other leading physicists. ]

Technology that doesn't kill en masse? I would think they would classify such research as less significant.

• Like 1

[ It would be the first time (that I'm aware of anyway) that any organisation has secretly made such significant advancements in any technology. ]

Except that, at some stage, any secret technological program becomes public knowledge when the technology is actually used.

[ This would be more significant than the Manhattan project, and that was instigated by Albert Einstein and required the cooperation of several other leading physicists. ]

Technology that doesn't kill en masse? I would think they would classify such research as less significant.

I meant significant in terms of the cooperation of top-level physicists required. And yes, I would think they would classify this research as less significant in terms of military value than weapons of mass desstruction, which is why I feel it's unlikely that they could pull it off.

• Like 1

[ I'm highly skeptical. ]

I'm shocked!!

Except that, at some stage, any secret technological program becomes public knowledge when the technology is actually used.

I meant significant in terms of the cooperation of top-level physicists required. And yes, I would think they would classify this research as less significant in terms of military value than weapons of mass desstruction, which is why I feel it's unlikely that they could pull it off.

It is a weapon of mass destruction....though to use it in that way is such a waste............a machine of this nature has limitless applications...................but with reflection......nsa lies as a matter of course.....so it may well be, and probably is mis-information..................

"One of the recent revelations by Edward Snowden is that the U.S. National Security Agency is currently developing a quantum computer."

http://phys.org/news/2014-03-quantum-physics.html

Edited by Dreamwalker

Not so. Sometimes we unsuspectingly have some good folk leak documents - then we find out about it.

• Like 1