The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Pie'oh'Pah

Three New 4 Winds Bridgesii - Scarred As

Afternoon All

Managed to find three 4 rib trichocereus bridgesii off ebay yesterday.

Not the nicest specimens I have seen but I have bought from this seller before and they always seem to look similar i.e. (Scarred As!).

The last order I got from this vendor have all had taken off quite well so I am keen to get these babies re-potted.

Will update with a nicer picture once they arrive, couldn't wait so i'll use the photo from ebay in the mean time.

post-13297-0-80368700-1388729556_thumb.j

These will be my first 4 ribbed Trichocereus!

post-13297-0-80368700-1388729556_thumb.jpg

post-13297-0-80368700-1388729556_thumb.jpg

Edited by Donnie_30

i hope you didn't pay extra because they are four ribbed! four winds is a devious marketing ploy if ever i heard one.. & yes i know the historic basis of it.. but those plants look so malnourished & sickly that they had no choice but to reduce their rib count just in order to hold on to life

• Like 3

Good to see they're now in the hands of someone who will show them a little more love than their previous owner. It's always nice to have something different one's collection such as some four-ribs. It will be interesting to see how they look further down the line once they're cared for a little more and have some nice new growth on them.

Thanks for the post, yeah this vendors stock never look too nice.

Nah they were cheap as!

I'll just be happy if any of them pup the same.

Here is one I took off their hands a few months back, coming back strong now it's with me :wink: .

post-13297-0-76065900-1388731442_thumb.j

post-13297-0-76065900-1388731442_thumb.jpg

post-13297-0-76065900-1388731442_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

May have been scale some time back now just thick nasty scarring.

They got the standard 4 week quarantine in the mini greenhouse before coming into the garden tho.

I'll add some photos of the new tip growth, nice velvety green!

Edited by Donnie_30

Jesus Donnie,

Those guys have had a hard life. Hopefully they respond to your care by growing like crazy for you. I'm curious to see if paradox is right, maybe the pups will have more ribs?

It's interesting to see that your older specimen has pupped with 5 ribs; keep us informed about the new arrivals.

I bought a four ribbed cactus that put on a 5th (and later 6th) rib not long after it came into my care. It's a fascinating thing watching them grow up eh?

I had a seedling that got very etiolated and reduced from 6 to 4 ribs. I also think that a lot of the time these plants will drop down to 4 ribs when they are malnourished or not getting enough light. But since then I grafted it and took better care and it's doing pretty great. Still 4 ribbed.

You can see here that it was 6 ribbed, it got a little bit etiolated and dropped to 4.

post-12824-0-66170800-1388733378_thumb.j

This is it now. It's gotten a lot bigger and healthier, but stayed 4 ribbed. The pup that came off of the stump was 6 ribbed. I'm going to see if I can get this plant to throw out anymore 4 ribbed pups.

post-12824-0-73034200-1388733374_thumb.j

post-12824-0-73034200-1388733374_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-66170800-1388733378_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-73034200-1388733374_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-66170800-1388733378_thumb.jpg

Edited by hostilis
  • Like 1

I'm curious to see if paradox is right, maybe the pups will have more ribs?

i don't know what i'm gonna be right or wrong about but all tricho's put on & drop ribs all the time, bridgesii especially comes up with four ribs very often, probably because it's one of the more slightly built of the trichocereus, rib count generally being closely correlated to girth..

there may or may not be genetic strains of the common trichocereus spp. that are genertically predisposed to having four ribs but it pretty much goes without saying that at some point those plants with four ribs will put on more ribs or sprout pups with more or less ribs..

basically, as far as i can tell the 'four winds' info to be found in most places is a classic case of internet chinese whispers.. it's all some slightly changed variation on one original report that apparently is hard to find now but basically comes back to some ancient Inca belief system centered around the four aspects.. sure, it's interesting stuff, though unless you subscribe to the ancient Inca's religious belief systems & therefore that magic is real to you i'm not sure why people would get so fixated on this myth based on the somewhat lame reports all around the internet.. though like i said it is interesting.. to me it's something like the blood of christ in a biscuit, i'm not a christian so the biscuit doesn't hold any magic for me, it's a biscuit & is completely unrelated to a 2000 year old dead jew. thats just me though

i think the original cactus of the four winds was specifically a true peruvian pachanoi. four ribbed pachanoi actually are very rare, probably due to the fact that generally they have a wider girth & therefore more ribs are generally essential to it's physical structure..

i'm not sure why i'm commenting though really, i don't know a great deal about it, i just get sick of seeing it used as a marketing ploy. something about sacred ancient mythology being used to dupe people into spending more money irks me.

...shutting up now

• Like 2

i'm not sure why i'm commenting though really, i don't know a great deal about it, i just get sick of seeing it used as a marketing ploy. something about sacred ancient mythology being used to dupe people into spending more money irks me.

Same as this label on supermarket food now 'organic'... oh man. What a load of shit... anyway, its only people buying it. The consumer is ultimately at fault. You cant blame vendors for making a buck right?

Edit. Id be stoked with that. Sweet score!

Edited by doublebenno

Hmm you guys mention marketing quite a bit I don't seem to have the same idea as you.

I like items which are unique for their visual variations so if their poor upbringing possibly allows similar traits so be passed forward I am more than up for a test.

If this variation is less common than Vendors will charge more, although that's economics not marketing.

For example I am sure some of the forum members would be more interested to a TBM that extends vertically more than horizontally and would pay more for that variation.

Or even a 3 ribbed bishops cap (although these often throw another rib later in life as well) again not because of some sales campaign but because they are abnormal.

Anyhow I will be sure to let your guys know the format of the first pup, once they arrive!

Here is a different plant 5 ribbed with two 5 ribbed pups.

post-13297-0-82490500-1388741348_thumb.j

And for something less foul looking two wonderfully fat pach pups.

post-13297-0-82798600-1388741356_thumb.jpost-13297-0-92746900-1388741335_thumb.j

post-13297-0-92746900-1388741335_thumb.jpg

post-13297-0-82490500-1388741348_thumb.jpg

post-13297-0-82798600-1388741356_thumb.jpg

post-13297-0-92746900-1388741335_thumb.jpg

post-13297-0-82490500-1388741348_thumb.jpg

post-13297-0-82798600-1388741356_thumb.jpg

Edited by Donnie_30
  • Like 1

i'm not sure who you're referring to, i really can't remember the last time i mentioned marketing but man, i'm not saying unique plants shouldn't be worth more to people who want them. it's not really that important tbh but four ribs, particularly in bridgesii is not very uncommon at all & often are associated with somewhat malnourished or pot bound plants that have been forced into reducing their ribs through lack of ability to support a larger girth, not because they have some magical shamanic qualities.. (certainly not always, many bridg varieties simply have a slim girth & so often may sprout 4 ribbed pups that sometimes last & sometimes don't)

i've seen that 'four winds' is used to market any old trichocereus that has four ribs, that's marketing, plain & simple & yes it's clever marketing & i don't blame sellers for using marketing techniques to sell their products, it's fundemental to selling anything, doesn't mean it's not possibly deceptive & it slightly irks me thats all...

Edited by paradox

Thanks for the input the seller only mentioned 4 ribs (and specifically at the tip) so they def weren't playing that up. In all likely hood the may have dropped and added ribs along the entire body. Also I understand what you saying about the quality of the upbringing of the plants and would agree that this is likely the reason for their current status.

Still I am dead keen to see one pup as that is the real test, hopefully even after good care at least one of them maintains this structure.

Further to what you state about the 4 winds story (re: magical shamanic qualities) I have read that due to the decreased number of ribs the 4 ribbed cactus they are physically larger than a similar cactus of the same height and width, so although they appeared to be stronger there is just more mass. I think it is due to depth of the groove between the ribs and a general squaring of the plant.

is it true that the four winds had some ribs removed so it could blow himself?

ah 90's rumors ....

Same as this label on supermarket food now 'organic'... oh man. What a load of shit... anyway, its only people buying it. The consumer is ultimately at fault. You cant blame vendors for making a buck right?

Eh... you do know that organic simply means grown without pesticides, right? No hocus pocus there...

Eh... you do know that organic simply means grown without pesticides, right? No hocus pocus there...

hey yeah i know what organic means, it is basically anything cellular right?. that kinda irks me simply because of the misuse of the word... besides that

there is a new meaning to that word though, that you are referring to i guess??, that is to do with organic farming. and you are right in a way, grown without pesticides. I thought pesticides were allowed if they were on the list accepted by the organisation giving accreditation... which funnily enough is a private but probably government or corporation funded organisation...

My point mainly was to do with the misuse of the word, have you actually looked at the packet to see if there is organic certification>??? i have and a lot of SUPERMARKET brand foods have ORGANIC as the title without any sort of certification.....

What's your take Quixote?? I refuse to fork out huge bucks on something because woolworths says its ORGANIC.. I will however if it is farmed ethically... and how do i do this??? well on the faith i have with the individuals i buy off face to face at local markets....

It may be different in northwest Europe, but Australiens seemingly will buy anything they're told to.....

Sorry to veer off topic Pie'oh'Pah

Cactus of the four winds. Haha.