The Corroboree

dmt_lace_fixed.jpg Edited by ballzac
  • Like 9

So, I wanted to incorporate a motif like this into a larger design, so I designed a border for a doily. I realised that the motif would be lost in the rest of the design if it was done in white, so I started making a psilocybin molecule with each type of atom represented by a different colour. However, I'm looking at this design and thinking that molecule (not finished) will not be very clear inside the border, and don't want to put in the work to fill the space between the border and the motif with lace if I'm not going to like the end result.

doily.jpg

I think I'll have to do something a bit more creative if I want to make a larger design with a molecular theme, but it might take some time to execute, so I want to make sure I have a solid design before I start working on it. Not sure what I will do with this doily border, but I might just fill it in with a lace pattern.

Wow. Just wow dude. So clever.

I never thought a doily could be so bad ass B)

Love your work!

• Like 1

Nice work, how did you learn to tat lace?

I mostly learnt from youtube tutorials. I've been knitting on and off since I was about 5, so anything to do with threads or yarn I tend to pick up pretty easily.

• Like 1

Hey just had a thought regarding your desire to incorporate the molecular theme into a larger design.

What about having a central piece of embroidery or cross-stitch related the molecular border?

If you used darker fabric as the background and quite bright coloured threads, white borders would stand out very strongly.

I have seen some amazing embroidery, really you could create whatever scene you liked and it would look spectacular in the company of your lace-work.

Psilocybin mushrooms growing in a woodland glade under a full moon bordered by psilocybin lace?

• Like 1

Awesome idea Ceres. I've been planning on learning cross-stitch or something similar. It looks fairly easy but produces incredible results. I think your suggestion would make a great project for me to learn it, but I might do the border in crochet rather than tatted lace as I think it would suit better.

Awesome, go for it!

And don't be shy to just have a play around before you have actually learnt how to do 'properly',

A friend of mine's mother just picked up some threads one day and started embroiding designs into a piece of clothing without any instruction or knowledge on how to go about the process and she created the most incredibly beautiful underwater scene I could imagine.

Can't wait to see what you come up with, thread-maestro

:)

• Like 1