The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hypnotoad

Cinnamon and Nutmeg.

Please excuse the language.

Why the fuck is it so fucking hard to find either of these plants? Seriously, it's not like they're hard to grow, or illegal, extinct or even rare for that matter. I can buy 30g of cinnamon or nutmeg for under 2 dollars! No commercial grower is going to be cross with me for growing cinnamon or nutmeg in my backyard, because we'll both probably be stone fucking dead by the time it's worth something (nothing). Absoultely baffling!

So please, I beseech you all for even the dullest of insight in to one of lifes strangest mysteries.

Feel free to move this to degenerated threads.

Huh i am sure we all feel the same about a lot of different plants, I too would love to be growing these. From memory - and I may be wrong - Rev has nutmeg/mace, but like I said i could be wrong and it may have been on another forum???

Rev still lives in Indo doesnt he?

• Like 1

He does. So he may be able to send over fresh seed if there is something in it for him.

Cinnamon is available in Australia, it's just difficult to get and erratically available.

Nutmeg is a different story. You may want to PM Muskrat and see if he ever ended up having luck sourcing it. You already know my story with my attempts to get it.

It is also understandable why it is so difficult to get. Seeds are only viable for approximately 15 days, during which they can't dry out. Getting them into Australia, still viable and not covered with mould, is challenging.

Do any Botanic Gardens in Australia have Nutmeg? Brisbane has a cinnamon that I've been stalking for seeds for a while now but never seems to form them properly.

• Like 1

Only cinnamon. Never seen it with seed, but then again, I've never even considered that it could have any.

Muskrat heard of a guy in QLD with a private nutmeg orchard, so that may be an avenue worth investigating.

If I were you, I would contact Rev and see if he can help.

could try posting a request on

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?board=2.0

only takes a few moments to sign up...................and their are both many international (Asian) and oz members...........

I thought you were going to discuss the mind altering element of nutmeg :)

Edited by Dreamwalker

Sadly not, but we definitely could change the direction of this thread? I know many Cinnamomum plants contain safrole and that there are stories of nutmeg being smoked in prison?

I emailed Daley's Fruit, and they said there was a 2 year waiting list for Cinnamomum Verum.

Damn...those two plants I used to have were obtained pretty easily. Guess I lucked out.

There are cinnamon and nutmeg plants in the centenary lakes area of the Cairns botanical gardens. Never seen the nutmeg fruit though so I dont know if its male or female.

It seems as though it's a bit like the diamond trade, All is owned by a selected few. And they control the market depressing really

My old boss has a cinnamon tree, so I will ask if/when or if it sets seed if I can grab a whole bunch.

He would always brag about how nice it was to walk around the tree sniffing the bark.. Weirdo.. :P

Edit: Typo

Edited by Eternal Frisson

In my part of town, if you brag, you get shanked for your rare spices.

• Like 2