The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gtarman

My opinion of the movie "Prometheus"

Liked Prometheus as well. I guess it depends on what you expect. It´s not an Alien Movie and definately not Horror so i think that many people are so disappointed because they expected another Film like the first Alien. Which it clearly isnt. It´s a nice scifi movie that´s visually absolutely awesome but i think it could have used a bit more horror. That being said, i am really looking forward on the next one. I heard Ridley Scott, who is one of my favorite directors, is already working on it.

I think expectations may be the thing...to be honest I've never seen any of the Alien (or Predator) movies, and the only thing I knew about it going in was what I'd seen from the trailer after watching it on Youtube (and my friend saying they liked it)...so I was a bit of a blank slate going in, with no real expectations or preconceived notions.

I guess for me it just didn't live up to my expectations of what a good film is...which obviously will differ from person to person. Although like everybody else, I tend to think my own opinion holds the most water :lol:

!! you deleted the whole post ?

anywayz, but this is allowed huh?

I have a friend who is pretty 'pussy' when it comes to films:

from another thread.. (outside the bitch thread)

I am sorry if I called anyone a pussy, but I dont really remember this...

but I am a strong advocator of the idea 'words are not bad, intentions are' , well something like that ....

Premetheus is a visually stunning film and it also features a new mythology linked with the alien series.

nuff said...

stop bitching about films you dont like, this is really not "cool"

Why is it "not cool" to say you're disappointed about something that had massive hype but didn't live up to expectations?

Which is how it was for me. It reaffirmed my general belief that anything that spends millions on advertising probably isn't worth watching.

I was sorely disappointed by this movie, I was bored, totally underwhelmed.

On the other hand, I quite enjoyed the new star trek movies which again, showed little in the way of whatever it is I forget the term with the older material, but managed to portray something very cool along the same kind of lines, just from a new direction. So it can be done well imho.

blame the "massive hype" , as you put it , not the film.

this film is not a masterpiece, but its pretty good and I am huge fan of the alien series.

why its not cool?

because the whole fucking globe was bitching about not liking Prometheus. Its like, how you say it, beating a dead horse?

a dead horse that has 7.1 in imdb by the way.

moreover, it is supposed to be a first from a trilogy. It should not reaveal everything in the first part.

Also I wonder how many of those who blame the film for being mediocre are alien fans.

If you are, did you miss the whole soudtrack that was a tribute to alien series soundtrack?

to me its was quite satisfyingly alien-related, even though not much, and a pretty decent and visually impressive film in itself..

I was too high to understand the opening, where the bald giant human drinks something, and falls into the water.

Some of you must have understood it, so could you kindly explain it for me (I never understood the symbolism of the "StarChild in 2001, A Space Odyssey", either, until reading a book about the film).

not all art is supposed to be understood in a specific pre-written way. Metaphors and symbolisms exist but can be interpreted differently from each individual. cinema medium is not about serving everything in your dish, just because you were pampered like this by commercial cinema.

what's the meaning of Lost Highway or Mulholland drive?

art is not understood, it's experienced

As for a 2001, A space Odyssey , this is probably one of the most overrated films of all time.

there are different interpretations like mutant says. i don't want to go into an in-depth analysis of a movie everybody here hates, the opening scene shows a being of the engineer race drinking the black fluid (later found in the sealed room, in the egg-like urns) in some kind of willing sacrifice which reduced his body into the elements required to seed life on the planet, which may or may not be earth. in my opinion it serves to establish that the engineers are selfless creators of life. along with a number of scenes later on we get reasons why the engineers decide to destroy humanity.

I do blame the film mutant it was incredibly dull. I might watch it again though to see if it was just the mood I was in. Sometimes that happens. See, I'm willing to open my mind and see if I / circumstances have changed. Life does that sometimes. But if it's art, it has to speak to the soul somehow. Otherwise it's just meaningless squiggles on a page. My daughter can do that, and sometimes it's randomly beautiful. But is it art and does it mean anything and should people pay to see it?

You can do what you want, but you dont HAVE to like it. I

I was disppointed when I first watched "pi" , but I didnt bash it. Some 10 years lter I watched it again. It's great film and this time I understood it and enjoyed it thoroughly.

art does not have to talk to every soul.

As for a 2001, A space Odyssey , this is probably one of the most overrated films of all time.

Have to disagree here. I think this is a brilliant film, deserving of the hype.

I hated it when I saw it as a kid, and assumed that it sucked until I saw it again when I was a bit older, and in the right mood/setting. Now it's a film I watch whenever it is shown at a cinema, about once a year.

I agree that hating a film because everyone else does is pretty silly, but hating a film because it's loved by everyone seems to me to be just as silly.

It was a movie certainly worthy as a bookend next to the Alien films, but not such a heated discussion.

To go even further off topic, I loved the new film Gravity in cinema. That felt faintly 2001ish.

i don't see why people think this discussion is so heated. some people like the movie, some people don't.. is a boring arsed discussion if anything & no different to any other discussion involving any group of people. different humans have different opinions. if that isn't obvious & we can't come to terms with it, we really haven't learned much about human interaction whatsoever. i love apples, if you don't like apples i'd have to be a moron to be offended by that. what do you think is at the basis of every tragic human conflict in history? dumb fucks who can't come to terms with the fact that every individual has imprinted a different reality tunnel & therefore has different opinions.

2001 a space odyssey was made in 1968, if you ask me the special effects are incredible for the time, kinda boring other than that though unless you're in the right head space for some drawn out kubrick-ness.

2001 a space odyssey is maybe the epitome of an over-hyped film. And because its made of Cubrick everyone feel they ought to love it, but guess what, not everyone's loving it. In fact this is the first film considered a masterpiece that I didn't like. Well, it's boring, overly too long and awfully too implied.

Note I dont hate the film, the visuals are impressive, the ape scenes are awesome. But I did not like it. Its a 1968 film. We dont have to love it just because we are supposed to.

well I didn't really see the film until relatively recently (first time I fell asleep) and I was impressed by the fact so many people seemed to like it for its absolute minimalism...

but then again, back in my techno days I had seen this videoclip which sum the movie up pretty nice and doesn't feat all around boring classical music...oh! and its only 3 mins long!!

then there's the thing.... if you didn't like it then you probably didn't understand it. Guess what, this film is not becoming any better by understanding it, because it's not complex or anything - it's simply devoid of much of anything... I haven't read the book, but it didn't feel like I dont understand what the director is telling here, but like I would like more of it depicted rather than implied. This is an old sci-fim, an arty milimalist film.

Many would say thisis a minimalist sci-fi masterpiece. OK, a nice label, add 'arty' and you're spot on.

Has anyone seen Solyaris (1972) of Tarkovski ? not the remake, the original. Well, not as many have seen this, and not as many have praised this as much as they did with 2001. There are reasons to call solyaris pretentious, boring, arty and all. But I loved Solyaris. Very thought provoking , intelligent sci-fi film. it did it for me.

2001 , Definately the Kubrick film I liked least so far

but hey I regard Tarantino overrated as well. not that he's no good.

I just find it annoying so many know Tarantino but noone knows Lummet (one of the most underrated directors ever, having made masterpieces one after another .

that what over-hyped, over-rated is for me. I would't dare say it about Kubrick, he's got vision, but he's a better photographer than he is a story teller.

..but he's a better photographer than he is a story teller.

gotta agree with that, 2001 is probably also my least favorite of his films, not that i'm a huge kubrick nut.. i do enjoy his cinematography & the unique vibe he brings to his films though.

to be honest I watched almost everything when young, dr strangelove, clockwork (ok I 've watched more than once), sparctacus (this still holds like a solid one) and shining... got to watch them again... full metal jacket is fine, but yet unenen..

but yeah I am not a big Kubrik fan too. that one about him being best being a photographer I copied from some other reporting that. Perhaps 2001 is the best example of that. he lets the awe and picture guide you.. but not plot or what so ever.. okey good trick for 1968!

if a film is based on the book and you expect the viewer he knows the story of the book its yr choice 9directors choice) . I mean 1984 is awesome, I had read the book when I saw it. Dont know if you watch it and dont know what the heck is all about, so... 1984 will fail in those who dont know the story.

but hey , up to now

no kubrick films find a way to my all time faves...

not yet seen eyes wide shut though, his fave film... (shame!)

#drunk and all

not yet seen eyes wide shut though, his fave film... (shame!)

I thought he hated that film. I thought i read somewhere that he was immensely unhappy with the end product.

after a quick google, it seems that his opinion of the film is somewhat controversial/ unknown.

2001 a space odyssey is maybe the epitome of an over-hyped film. And because its made of Cubrick everyone feel they ought to love it, but guess what, not everyone's loving it. In fact this is the first film considered a masterpiece that I didn't like. Well, it's boring, overly too long and awfully too implied.

Note I dont hate the film, the visuals are impressive, the ape scenes are awesome. But I did not like it. Its a 1968 film. We dont have to love it just because we are supposed to.

well I didn't really see the film until relatively recently (first time I fell asleep) and I was impressed by the fact so many people seemed to like it for its absolute minimalism...

but then again, back in my techno days I had seen this videoclip which sum the movie up pretty nice and doesn't feat all around boring classical music...oh! and its only 3 mins long!!

then there's the thing.... if you didn't like it then you probably didn't understand it. Guess what, this film is not becoming any better by understanding it, because it's not complex or anything - it's simply devoid of much of anything... I haven't read the book, but it didn't feel like I dont understand what the director is telling here, but like I would like more of it depicted rather than implied. This is an old sci-fim, an arty milimalist film.

Many would say thisis a minimalist sci-fi masterpiece. OK, a nice label, add 'arty' and you're spot on.

Has anyone seen Solyaris (1972) of Tarkovski ? not the remake, the original. Well, not as many have seen this, and not as many have praised this as much as they did with 2001. There are reasons to call solyaris pretentious, boring, arty and all. But I loved Solyaris. Very thought provoking , intelligent sci-fi film. it did it for me.

2001 , Definately the Kubrick film I liked least so far

but hey I regard Tarantino overrated as well. not that he's no good.

I just find it annoying so many know Tarantino but noone knows Lummet (one of the most underrated directors ever, having made masterpieces one after another .

that what over-hyped, over-rated is for me. I would't dare say it about Kubrick, he's got vision, but he's a better photographer than he is a story teller.

Thanks for that music man! :)

On a side note, did anyone see the wicked design for a space axe? I like all the kinds of space technologies they had.