The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Honeybees Can Recognise Individual Human Faces

Honeybees Can Recognise Individual Human Faces

By Kate Wong

face-recognition-honeybees_1.jpg
Image: Sue Williams and Adrian Dyer

The ability to tell individual faces apart was long thought to be exclusive to large-brained mammals. But in recent years a number of studies have shown that, in fact, some wasps can facially recognise one another. And honeybees can learn human faces, too. In their article in the December issue of Scientific American, biologists Elizabeth Tibbetts of the University of Michigan and Adrian Dyer of RMIT University in Melbourne describe these findings and what they reveal about the neural requirements for seemingly complex cognitive tasks.

The image depicts how a honeybee sees the features of a human face. Researchers created the image with a mechano-optical array of 5,000 individual imaging tubes, each of which represents one of the facets of an insect’s compound eye.

Edited by tripsis
  • Like 1

fuk me :o should i start an army .. goddamn them bees :wave-finger: [[ there honey is sooo good its worth a fight]]

Love this!

I had a feeling since in late winter when the only blooming bush is a rosemary that I like to stick my face into while bees abuzz that even in their orgiastic drunken state they love me. (Ill advised behavior if one doesn't know if they are allergic, though.) I'd at first thought that the nature of their inattention to me was ambivalence to large mammals when Queenie wasn't around. Maybe so. But now I know and feel pretty special that there is an element of recognized trust. Wonder if they can smell that I don't eat honey, aussi?

Sunshine on my shoulders almost all the time makes me high

John Denver