The Corroboree
sharxx101

Meet up: Melbourne

Hi Everyone!

Don't forget:  The next face-to-face meet-up in Melbourne will be Sunday 17 December 2017, at noon, at the Tecoma Pavilion, in the Royal Melbourne Botanic Gardens.  (NOT in the suburb of Tecoma.)  That's closest to the corner of Domain Road and Anderson Street.  (Parking is a hassle.)

That's the weekend right after EGA.  If you're attending Entheogenesis Australis, be sure to meet and network at Carl Tune-In's two gardening workshops!  Also, be sure to promote and talk up this Melbourne Meet Up, to gardeners you meet there.

Although these meet-ups are meant to swap plants and cuttings (as well as food, drink, ideas, and joy) please be discrete:  The Botanic Gardens do not like plants/cuttings being brought in (diseases) or taken out (was it stolen from here?).  Keep big things in your car, and do the sharing out where you park.

We're expecting some newcomers attending for the first time.  It's likely to be a big meet up this time. 

See you then!

• Like 2

I'll be there from noon(ish). 

Hi Everyone,

Had a great time at EGA, too?  I enjoyed giving my gardening workshops there, and hope there weren't too many errors in what I said.

I'd expect at least half a dozen newcomers THIS COMING SUNDAY. But I'm an optimist.

Hope a lot of the regulars can make it.  If you're reading this, please pass the info on to fellow gardeners who aren't on the forum.  I'll be bringing a dozen or so plants, and maybe some seeds, to give away.

Noon, Sunday, 17 December 2017, Tecoma Pavilion, eastern side of the Melbourne Botanic Gardens (near the cactus garden).

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 2

great job driving the shuttle bus at ega carl. champ.

i'm down for tomo in the gardens......sunscreen might be needed.

cheers guys come along if ya never have come to a meet before.

woo

• Like 2

sorry i was just too tired.

intended on getting there. 

also had to fly in to hobart at 7 am this morning

• Like 2

Tanks for being such a welcoming bunch! I'll try and make it to others in the future and bring much more to share next time. n_n

So we should organise a date well in advance.

how is march 3rd or 4th looking.

• Like 1

Not sure - will have to check. But I was talking about organising a meet with a couple of other members, so this is timely :) . 

Anyone keen on a meet before March? May as well make the best of the weather while it's around

• Like 1

Hi All,

3rd or 4th of March are currently good for me.  But I'll have to know in the next few weeks.  Sundays have been our norm.

The parking etc. is always horrible, so near the CBD.  The "population centre" of Melbourne is actually a bit east, near Kew.  There's a beautiful park there (Alexandra Gardens) right on Cotham Road (AKA Whitehorse Road or Maroondah Highway).  Public transport right up to the place, if you're not bringing/taking much stuff.  Please, please, please, some day?

Carl

p.s.  If anyone is eager to meet =before= early March, please SMS/text me on 0427 024 735.  I've got plants, seeds, compost, and pots to give away.  Live "way out" in Knoxfield.  (I dunno.  City kids these days.  Dagnabbit!)

p.p.s.  I'm moving to East Gippsland in a few months.  If you know any compatible folks out Traralgon, Sale, or Bairnsdale way... PLEASE tell them about me.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi Carl,

I totally get it with respect to the CBD, and i too am happy to investigate the possibility of new location.  There are also parks near the abbotsford convent that may be equally convenient. Maybe we should put it to a vote.

I also bought up the plant meets at the recent APS meeting given there is an audience of people interested in plants but who are not on SAB or dont frequent the site, therefore unaware of the get togethers.  So if we can set the date then i can advise members of APS who may be interested in coming along.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Damn right Obtuse, that was supposed to be my job (letting APS know what is going on SABwise) but I am not usually in the know myself so...we will see. making more of an effort to log on.

I definitely second Carl's suggestion for that park in Kew, i have often trammed past there and thought it was a good spot. Another good potential in that area is Hawthorn Bridge. At the intersection of the 48/109 and 75 trams (Bridge road x church street KEW not nearby church street richmond..stupid town planners). It's about a mile south of Carl's suggestion, in the "old English". Nice and spacious, with less rich people around. And a nice view of the city, which you can see on Gargle street view.

Give it your serious consideration!~

as for the dates, whenever is good for me. Carl how long until you move? i will definitely take some of the plants off your hands...but i too am moving and it would be better not to move them twice. 

Edited by Francois le Danque
missing tram route
  • Like 1

In all honesty, I don't feel a change of venue is needed. Why fix what isn't broken? More for a security and safety issue. Never had a problem at bot gardens, if we did I'd encourage change. Just the thoughts of one. I'll travel where the plants take me to meet you. :)

K-rode, I agree with the don'tfix/notbroke mentality, but i also like trying new things. I think we should spread it around, and the gardens DO get somewhat tiresome eventually...at some of these suburban options we would literally be the only folks there and have the place to ourselves. I always feel a tiny bit like the botguards will come at the botgards...

i vote we keep the seasonal Teacoma meetups as-is, but also add more frequent meets at chill suburban locales. Who is with me??

• Like 3

I can live with that suggestion, Monsieur Francois.

I'm going to throw out a date for February 10 or 11 if anyone would like to meet up. Post here if interested.

• Like 3

I'm due for an arvo away from my hermit cave, so I'm up for a meet. I have no commitments in the coming weeks so I'm flexible as far as dates go. 

• Like 2

My peeps. Hope you are all groovy,.

How about we lower the cone on the 10th of Feb then. A Saturday, which gives us all of Sunday to recover and ponder all the good chat that we usually have.

Or the Sunday. I'm easy nowadays. :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Amazonian said:

I'm due for an arvo away from my hermit cave, so I'm up for a meet. I have no commitments in the coming weeks so I'm flexible as far as dates go. 

what she said, 100% :lol:

and far kyeah karode, saturday is WHERE IT"S AT. sunday is too hard :P

• Like 2

i tend to agree sundays are too hard. 

ill be in melbourne that weekend, but wont be able to attend im afraid.

• Like 1

obtuse! Your post was good reading until the part where it said that you couldn't make it. :P

We'll catch up somewhere I'm sure.

So we have Two for Saturday, Amz is keen and eth's bringing the cone of silence. Saturday the 10th of Feb it is then?

• Like 2

I think either day is good for me - will be there if it's at all possible!

• Like 1

On 29/01/2018 at 8:23 PM, karode13 said:

Saturday the 10th of Feb it is then

we're in . hope to see yous cool cats

• Like 2

Haha! I finally remembered my password! I’ll see you guys on the 10th! Wew!

• Like 2