The Corroboree
tryptamine

Calea zacatechichi being seized in New Zealand

Frankledank, I was in contact with the law drafters long before this legislation was tabled and cautioned about this collateral damage concerning plants. I also worked for many hours to outline the hundreds of unintended consequences when the bill was tabled, but the promoters of the bill did not present this evidence. The same people are promoting this version of the bill to australian states and we need to be vigilant that this is NOT the model adopted. In australia it would have even greater consequences as our lists of protected herbs [via the food and therapeutic acts] are MUCH smaller than the lists in NZ.

Darklight, as far as the NZ drug law is concerned any substance that has a psychoactive effect [no matter how small - even if only after extraction] is restricted. This includes any parts of such herbs/plants. The only exceptions are those herbs protected by the food act and the health act. These are very clearly defined acts that exclude most food/herb items that might be food/remedies elsewhere, but are not commonly consumed in NZ. Heimia is certainly illegal in NZ for example. The ban definitely covers sale, production and possession. ie it includes cultivation.

I warned about this in detail long before it happened, but no one was terribly interested then.

• Like 2

Thanks for that confirmation Torsten, I've passed it onto my FOAF in NZ. I had suggested such to him previously, but he didn't believe me

I think these days we're still in shock from so much stupid new legislation. The trick these days is to stop all such legislation before it hits. Assuming that such-and-such a part of any legislation is so stupid that they wouldn't enforce it is definitely not working for many people

So basically now, short of law reform (unlikely), the only way to have our humble herbs re-introduced to the sphere of legality is if some major company foots the bill to 'research its harm/benefit payoff'. I can see where this is heading...

"Ah yes, calea zacatechichi. Well, we've done the research after being alerted to its potential therapeutic uses and we came back with mixed results. It appears that the active ingredient is indeed safe for normal consumption, HOWEVER it is important to note that further testing must be done in order to confrim these results with the original plant matter. For now, we have isolated and improved upon the active ingredient and are pleased to introduce a new range of medicine under the name of "Greedyguts PharmaCO" which can be found at your local chemist. Those seeking the benefits associated with this herb would do well to seek this clinically proven treatment."

• Like 3

The major problem with the bill is that any product is legal to market if prooven safe at a cost of approx $3,000000.

This prohibitive testing expense means ony products with a lucrative market will be approved, such as potent and addictive research chemicals.

No company is going to invest 3 million into legalizing Calea or Hemia or Cancer bush or Inebriating mint. The market is not there to recoup the investment.

So we loose all these SAFE herbs that have been used safely for thousands of years and in their place get a monoply marketing a line of patentable research chemicals.

This is so shit. Why not just place anything that has always been legal, has been in the food chain for thousands of years and has ever caused harm automatically in the approved catergory. It would be easy enough to remove any individual herb that is causing problems, say like Yohimbe and scedule it as a prescription medicine or something like Datura as a poison. Herbs are not like research chemicals that can be tweaked to get around laws.

To make matters worse the Government are now watching how the legal synthetic cannabinoid market plays out as a model for natural cannabis. So all the health problems caused by these untested research chemicals will be considered to be the same for natural weed and used as reason not to legalize.

Watch out aussies, your herbs are next!

You guys need to do something to protect your herbs. But Im not sure what? Does anyone have any ideas? What about for NZ? Or is it too late for us?

How much would it cost to take it to the high court if one were to import something like Calea seeds to deliberatly be seized, then take it to the high court? 100K?

Edited by tryptamine
  • Like 2

"This bill also technically bans yoga and meditation equipment as devices capable of inducing a psychoactive effect."

I wonder if they would be aloud to seize a yoga mat and meditation music at the airport O.o They'd look like assholes doing it but.. the laws the law ^^

Haha this would litterally make everything illegal, this would make having fun illegal, fucking taking a run illegal. Do they even under-fucking-stand what they hell they are implying O_O? This would make holding your breath illegal.. LOL this would make breathing illegal.

This was obviously not writtin with any scrap of intelligence.

Edit: Wait that would make having a body illegal actually.

Edited by Meditator
  • Like 1

Hey guys would just like to add that I have been contacted about importation of the seeds and I have won!

http://gyazo.com/cbf1a398f615563566bb5995f5eb9b03

By the look of that letter I think it is safe to say that we can import seeds as long as the seed alone does not produce psychoactive effect!
I would never do anything illegal but that means a lot to the community to understand that we have a little bit more rights and should definitely exercise them.

So that opens up a few doors I think and I am very happy with the result of refusing to abide.

Cheers

• Like 7