The Corroboree
-RC-

Chill the fuck out yo!

I thought the chill space would be a good place for this topic/thread.

Essentially it runs like this:

CHILL THE FUCK OUT YO! :innocent_n:

Peeps are getting so heated and crazy about shit on this forum I feel like I'm on facebook again... :BANGHEAD2:

Does it really matter if people think the same as you or agree with your world view?

Hammering them with witty scepticism and sarcasm won't change anything, especially their stance on the given topic. Let alone swearing and threats. Actually a couple of times I've felt like I'm back online gaming in CoD4 with 12 year olds threatening to come to my house and bash me and have sex with my mum...

If you find you are suffering because someone else can't see things the way you do, then you are the one causing your own suffering. Let go of your need for them to agree with you, or even acknowledge the validity of your view. Then you can find the peace that comes with having the courage of your convictions, regardless of those around you.

I'm not saying I agree with everyone and all views are legit, but that's the point. Who gives a fuck if Joe Blow thinks the exact opposite to you on an important topic for you?

People don't respond well when they feel they are being railroaded into a different perspective, let alone if they feel someone wants them to question and change there own values and attitudes in the space of one page on some bullshit thread like this one.

This post runs in a similar sort of vein I suppose:

http://www.responsiblechoice.com.au/uncategorized/evidence-and-truth/

Cmon, it's almost christmas yo.

P.S. Proceed with "Shut the fuck up RC!" comments......nnnnnow.

• Like 9

I for one agree!

We are a small and niche community. Even if we have differing views on a variety of topics we have all taken the time and effort to find this place and participate together because we share certain interests. This should be something that brings us together rather than allowing differences of opinion to divide us. I know that SAB has lost many knowledgeable and lovely people from the forum due to some of the rudeness and childish behaviour that sometimes rears its head on here. I know some new members who are to cautious to post questions because they think they will be flamed for asking something silly!

I love this place and our many varied members. I would like it to (always) be a nurturing encouraging environment where anyone would feel free to express themselves, ask questions, learn and grow.

So let us all be nice to each other, knowing that we share something special and feel good about that! Welcome healthy discussion and be tolerant of other people.

Lots of love to you all!

• Like 9

me?????

i give myself permission to be as sarcastic as i possibly can for the good of the community. cos im a funny cunt.

• Like 4

thats the point of having a community, we are not all the same, and although a common interest brings us together, we are all totally different and have different strengths that can be shared amongst us.

i can never get enough of reading and researching different perspectives, or different peoples lives, it helps us grow and learn from our mistakes... and filter out the bullshit :D

Edited by C_T
  • Like 3

Who's being heated? I thought the place was rather relaxed?

• Like 1

I love a good heated discussion or debate. Where's the fun in being so chill you blithely accept something that may completely contradict your world view? What do you learn from failing to engage in someone who has differing viewpoints to you? What's the problem with questioning your own views and beliefs? Fuck that. Bring on the heated discussion and debates, engage in other's viewpoints, question what you believe and what you think. Just keep it rational and don't let it degenerate into flaming, personal insults and name calling.

• Like 7

Don't we have drugs to CTFOut. I come here to vent my anger.

Fuck u tripsis! ;)

Ill smash yers!

Go play with your rank vag business, incog ya cunt! :P

Ur shits about to get sorted ya pelicAn beaked gelding !!!

Don't be a twat I said to myself.

But anyways- I really haven't noticed the forum being heated? Ill reign myself in as I'm bored and have nothing of value to add. Ill reserve razzing hillbilly for facie.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

Mostly i think we do play nice, even with different opinions. However there is a difference between having a different opinion and trolling.

There is one recent thread that comes to mind where I get the feeling one of the main protagonists is trolling, I won't give them the satisfaction of naming them or the thread. In my opinion that user displays a lot of similarities to a user that was banned a while ago for similar behaviour...

I love a good heated discussion or debate. Where's the fun in being so chill you blithely accept something that may completely contradict your world view? What do you learn from failing to engage in someone who has differing viewpoints to you? What's the problem with questioning your own views and beliefs? Fuck that. Bring on the heated discussion and debates, engage in other's viewpoints, question what you believe and what you think. Just keep it rational and don't let it degenerate into flaming, personal insults and name calling.

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself! I hate that extremist hippy mentality, where they claim to be the definition of diversity and different views. But in reality, the second someone comes along who actually is a little different to them or has a difference of opinion, they claim “negative vibes” or something similar, then refuse to listen to anything the person has to say and try to have the person outcasted so they can go back to there little box and not have to hear any other point of view but there own.

Worse than Christians mate!

There is one recent thread that comes to mind where I get the feeling one of the main protagonists is trolling, I won't give them the satisfaction of naming them or the thread.

If your talking about me, well screw that! If you read though that thread, you'll see the OP acts like some enlightened soul, till someone dares to give an opinion that doesn't feed the OP's own personal ego and he just snaps. The people I'm thinking of didn't deserve it and I'm just feeding him his own medicine with my honest opinion. It ain't trolling, I'm merely not letting something slide for good reason.

Edited by Subaeruginosin

is this place the dreaded "AstroTurf" we've been hearing about? Pretty realistic for artificial grass roots though...lol anyway, as long as nobody gets too angry and says the F or the C word (other's?) then I think it's all friends/mates/pals.

I agree that heated discussion and debate is a healthy thing and I totally welcome that. What I do not like is when the discussions become personal attacks and name calling. I dont think that really helps anything. Also, I am not a fan of the excessive unnecessary vulgarity and profanity. I feel like it lessens the effect of those words when they are used tastefully, I find it a bit disappointing and a bit offensive. I recognise that anyone can say anything they want to, which is fine, but I dont enjoy seeing it.

• Like 2

I agree that heated discussion and debate is a healthy thing and I totally welcome that. What I do not like is when the discussions become personal attacks and name calling. I dont think that really helps anything. Also, I am not a fan of the excessive unnecessary vulgarity and profanity. I feel like it lessens the effect of those words when they are used tastefully, I find it a bit disappointing and a bit offensive. I recognise that anyone can say anything they want to, which is fine, but I dont enjoy seeing it.

Hence why I said:

Just keep it rational and don't let it degenerate into flaming, personal insults and name calling.

Hence why I said:

Just keep it rational and don't let it degenerate into flaming, personal insults and name calling.

Yes, but you also engaged in (sarcastic?) flaming with incog... I'm just pointing out that I dont enjoy that sort of thing.

Yes, but you also engaged in (sarcastic?) flaming with incog... I'm just pointing out that I dont enjoy that sort of thing.

So incog and I aren't allowed to joke around?

No, you can joke around. I am just expressing my differing opinion. I am not telling you to stop, I am not telling you it is wrong, I am saying that I dont enjoy it. That's all. It doesn't stop me thinking that you and incog are awesome folk. I love having you guys active on the forums and whatnot, but that part of the interactions I'm not so keen on.

P.S. tripsis - I love the science articles you have been posting recently!

The one about tool using crocodiles, the human fat fighting back, mushrooms making micro weather, all of them! Freaking amazing! Really brightens up my workday to read stuff like that I wouldn't even imagine.

Yeah, fair enough, I'll keep that in mind. I'm not quite up for that sort of banter to the degree incog is, but enjoy it occasionally. I can understand how the crassness may offend those with more sensitive personalities, and though I often do enjoy being a bit of a twat, I don't want to put off regular members and stir shit in the community. Point taken, I'll try to moderate my behaviour a little (though perhaps not completely).

Excellent, glad you're enjoying them. Everything I post I find acutely interesting, so hope that others do too. :)

• Like 2