The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
photosynthesizer

Kangaroo paw flowers

Just wondering if anyone in south east qld has had any luck growing kangaroo paws ? Mine keep dying any tips on watering and soil types would be appreciated.

I have some. Does best with sorta rocky sandy soil. Fuck all water and any rain runs off quickly. Plenty of sun....have no idea if it is good advice but it works for me...

i use to work on an native flower farm , chrissy bush , roo paws etc

the farm was located in maleny [sunnycoast hinterland] the paws were growing in red volcanic soil .. it fuken rainz like crazy up there and get supa cold in winter .. i say the roo paws r tough as ..

My kanga paws love a little fert now n again ;)

mulch them if you can. if you already have fertile soil i certainly wouldnt be fertilising them fuck all. they grow best in sandy soil as DB said

Edited by brooa

Mine certainly do ...

As I understand it, Kangaroo paws come (originally) largely from that W.A.

The soil there, so I was told is deeply drained, and I would assume low in nutrients.

Im not sure about watering frequency, but as long as they dont have wet feet/roots for too long then they should be fine.

There is a "ink spot" disease that sets in if they get too water logged in the root zone

Thanks Mikey magic, I have noticed black spots on the leaves prior to dying, I've been using 80% sand with 20% mulch mixed through the sand but I think it's the overwatering that's doing it.

i disagree with water , like i said it fuken rains like a bitch in maleny and cold in winter its all bout the drainage...i would mulch my roo paws ..

Avoid overhead irrigation! this is a must, they hate humidity, they are a winter wet/summer dry plants I believe. if it's a mature clump don't be afraid to prune them to ground level (late winter I believe) this normally happens in the wild through fire.

best advice though is to choose a well bred hardy variety. some of the older clones are by far the toughest, 'Big Red' comes to mind, also the new velvet range from ozbreed are really good.

• Like 1

They're basically a weed in the wet parts of SW WA, can't get rid of the fuckers. Dunno why you'd wanna grow them so bad though, tbh I thought they were kinda ugly. If something struggles in my climate I tend to just give up and move onto something that'll thrive. Life's too short to be babying plants through the wrong climate if you ask me. Best to go with the flow.

• Like 1