The Corroboree
naja naja

Money saving idea's

The title of this thread makes me cringe :(

Apostrophe.me.png

If you removed the apostrophe from the title of this thread you would save us tens of dollars collectively because we would not need to download the extra few bytes needed to create it. Plus it wouldn't make me and mesq cringe. You're welcome

• Like 1

The candle heater doesn't work that well I tried it. It's more expensive than traditional heating, it releases by products, it's deceptively dangerous and it doesn't really heat up a room imo.

cheap candle heating is a clay pot upside down with the candle in the middle

it heats up the clay and it stays quite warm, tho never done it myself

arnt you supposed to use 2 pots?

You can make small "pots" from old newspaper, I was spending $25 to buy 50 75mm pots online (nowhere stocks small pots locally) now instead of throwing out old newspaper I use them to make small pots for my cuttings, once the plant roots and out grows the pot you simply stick the pot in the ground, or larger pot, as it's essentially paper it decomposes and is healthy for the soil and worms, also these days the ink is made from soy bean? I think it's soy beans. No tape staples or anything is required, just a pair of scissors and some folding abilities :P

If you removed the apostrophe from the title of this thread you would save us tens of dollars collectively because we would not need to download the extra few bytes needed to create it.

We shld al strt typng in shrt wrds 4 DL 2 sve mny :P

• Like 5

You can make small "pots" from old newspaper, I was spending $25 to buy 50 75mm pots online (nowhere stocks small pots locally) now instead of throwing out old newspaper I use them to make small pots for my cuttings, once the plant roots and out grows the pot you simply stick the pot in the ground, or larger pot, as it's essentially paper it decomposes and is healthy for the soil and worms, also these days the ink is made from soy bean? I think it's soy beans. No tape staples or anything is required, just a pair of scissors and some folding abilities :P

I have a mate that works at the local dump.........heaps are just thrown away/recycled which means crushed....every few weeks he throws a pile of them over my gate, even get some quality ceramic ones...your local dump is probably the same.....I have even seen people put a big box and a sign on their road side so their neighbours can drop off unwanted pots....

the candle heater might be good for keeping the chill/frost at bay in small glass houses.....could maybe use an oil lamp burning old fast food oil...the same way..just a guess...never tried it...

Edited by Dreamwalker

We shld al strt typng in shrt wrds 4 DL 2 sve mny :P

Auxin, I... I think I love you... :D

...for keeping the chill/frost at bay in small glass houses

Money saving idea #1: I have a bunch of 5 gallon juice concentrate drums I use for holding water to water my garden (small enough to carry around to refill the watering can).

In the winter I've filled them with water, capped them, and used them to build tables in the greenhouse. Day times stored heat is released at night. come spring they go back to work in the garden.

I got the idea when I was a teen and I saw it done in a hippie school. They were great at money saving ideas. One time the horticulture teacher didnt want to put in overtime digging out an over sized parsley bush so he pointed the rastas at it and said "thats edible, and its ital mon" a ring of rastas formed around the parsley bush and they all just leaned forward and chewed. The bush vanished in a cloud of ganja smoke.

Money saving idea #2: using rastafari as earth friendly weed whackers.

• Like 6

^ I also use water in containers (20L) in the greenhouses - painted mission brown rather than black. I read an article in practical greenhouses and hydroponics that mentioned a Uni somewhere measuring the heat retained and released and mission brown was the king of colours,

I've seen 44 gallon drums painted the same way used on the back wall of a greenhouse to great effect.

Money saving idea #2: using rastafari as earth friendly weed whackers.

ROFL :lol:

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

^ im thinking mission brown may allow more recycling of energy than a black that absorbs more?

and when that container has water, those extra rays that go through and bounce back around, and you may have 2 effects of heating, the outside material(container heating up) and the photons reacting with the water itself???

Edited by C_T
  • Like 1

It's my understanding that while black absorbs the most heat it is also the most efficient colour to radiate heat. So the mission brown absorbs almost as much heat as black but it radiates heat at a slower rate so the drums don't cool down too early and become ineffective in the hours before dawn when it's needed the most.

• Like 2

^ I also use water in containers (20L) in the greenhouses - painted mission brown rather than black. I read an article in practical greenhouses and hydroponics that mentioned a Uni somewhere measuring the heat retained and released and mission brown was the king of colours,

I've seen 44 gallon drums painted the same way used on the back wall of a greenhouse to great effect.

ROFL :lol:

I distinctly remember reading that a dark, matt charcoal is the most efficient at absorption, which explains the colour of solar hot water heating panels. Brown paint can be made by mixing red, yellow, and blue, and add black for shades, or white for tints. Any dark colour would work well, but should be in a matt finish.

• Like 1