The Corroboree
CLICKHEREx

Vic: Cops to disqualify driving license to anyone guilty of anything

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/700933-Aus-Cops-to-disqualify-driving-license-to-anyone-guilty-of-anything

Jon Kaila
Herald Sun
November 26, 2013 12:01AM
75 comments

Cops get licence to disqualify crooks

Police are vowing to disqualify licences of anyone convicted of an offence. Source: HeraldSun

opi8 View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join Date May 2010
Posts 1,385
Blog Entries1 Yesterday 20:45 ... Plus have interlock devices fitted when they get their license back if they thought about smoking a joint when in highschool.

EXCLUSIVE: TENS of thousands more Victorians each year stand to lose their drivers' licences under a new law police are vowing to exercise in court.

Sweeping legal changes which came into effect on September 30 allow courts to suspend or cancel the licence of any person convicted or found guilty of any offence - regardless of whether that offence has anything to do with driving.

Victoria Police has exclusively revealed to the Herald Sun that it will seek to use the new powers in up to 50,000 court cases each year.

It has already briefed its prosecutors on the law.

"If you're convicted or found guilty of any offence, a court may suspend or cancel and disqualify your licence," said Acting Senior Sergeant Richard Bowers, of the Victoria Police Prosecution Division.

"The legislation does not govern or put a limiting factor on which cases it applies to. It's any offence, and it's completely open to the magistrate as to whether or not they impose it.

"Unless a superior court gets hold of one of these cases and says 'Well, this is an inappropriate exercise of discretion,' it will remain open for use for a magistrate to use in any way they see fit."

But the move has angered civil libertarians.

"We are very disturbed at the lack of consultation, given this is such a sweeping and draconian measure," Jane Dixon, SC, the president of Liberty Victoria, said last night.

"To deprive someone of their driving licence can often also deprive them of their livelihood.

"We believe, for well-being, there should be a strong foundation between driving and the offending."

Victoria Police said it would advice its prosecutors to use the legislation in any case where the offending can be linked to using a vehicle, which it estimates at around 50,000 cases a year.

"We will raise the legislation in circumstances where driving had been part and parcel of the offending," Sen-Sgt Bowers said.

"It may be an offence where the accused used a car to commit the offences; for example, residential burglaries, using the car to get around."

In another change to the law, anyone disqualified from driving may be forced to fit an alcohol interlock device in their vehicle when the licence is reinstated, if the original crime can be linked in any way to alcohol or drugs.

First-time offenders, and those guilty of even the most minor offences, will not be exempt from the new law.

There are no set suspension or disqualification limits, giving magistrates free rein to cancel a licence for as long as they see fit.

Sen-Sgt Bowers also highlighted drug trafficking and family violence cases as likely ones for the exercise of the law.

"You have to look at each case on its merits and determine where is the best use of this legislation. We have left prosecutors with a fair bit of discretion," he said.

"It's a deterrent and a preventive measure. From our perspective, anything that has the potential to prevent further offending is a good thing," he said.

bullshit at : http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-o...-1226768223410

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 drug_mentor View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Australian Drug Discussion

Join Date Jul 2006
Location Australia
Posts 5,756 Yesterday 21:40 Fucking absolute horse shit this, I never even heard of this before clicking this thread right now, what in the absolute fuck?! In the last few years this is really becoming a police State, I fear that in another decade we will have no rights left at all. I cannot understand why a country that was traditionally liberal and progressive is going backwards so fast in recent years, but it is well and truly happening.

What do they hope to achieve with this? All it does is make life harder for people with convictions, harder to work and harder to live, this is not the situation you want to create for people convicted of a crime if one wants to keep the recidivism rates down. Pretty sure anyone caught dealing who loses their licence as a result and in turn loses their job is gonna go straight back to dealing. It just makes no sense.

I am so angry and disappointed as a citizen of and driver in the State of Victoria. Shame on whatever fuck wits passed this legislation.

#3 _DankOpiAmp_ View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

Join Date Sep 2013
Posts 60 Yesterday 21:55 This is the arbitrary use of power defining tyranny. Why must cops always seek new ways to nurture criminality and marginalize an ever-growing segment of the population?

#4 neversickanymore View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Recovery Support

Join Date Jan 2013
Location babysitting the argument in my head
Posts 4,858 Today 02:25 They must be desperate.. you know what fuck them and their bullshit.. I thought the US was the "land of the free" but wow you guys might be pulling ahead.. RECOVERY FORUMS ~~~ADDICTION GUIDE~~~ CONTACT ME

#5 MagickalKat777 View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

Join Date Feb 2004
Location Denver, CO
Posts 4,266 Today 07:39 Wow. Just wow. How long will that one hold up?

#6 'medicine cabinet' View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

Join Date Jun 2006
Location Baltimore
Posts 5,987 Today 14:06 Looks like no one will be driving in au anymore. At least there will be less pollution. Thats so fucked up.

#7 bukweat View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

Join Date Jun 2013
Location between a rock and a hard place
Posts 248 Today 14:53 So this law affects tens of thousands? If the courts do follow through they will create a near-permanent criminal underclass. Maybe I made the assumption about needing a drivers license to work. It surely is that way here. I would lose my job for sure. Can't commute, no mass transit where I work.
The courts are totally overreaching here. So if I get a misdemeanor pot charge, my drivers license is revoked? What next gulags?

#8 CLICKHEREx View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles
Greenlighter

Join DateSep 2012
Posts41Today 16:59 I predict that sales of motorised and/or electric bikes will skyrocket in Victoria, and with many novices commuting, will result in many more road deaths.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/cops-to-use-licence-to-disqualify-anyone-guilty-of-anything/story-fni0fee2-1226768223410

Very scarey, glad I don't live in Victoria!

If the liberal party is the opposite to the ALP maybe they should adopt the opposite slogan, it would certainly suit them.

Moving backward

this will cause masses people to get put in prison for repeated driving without a licence.

this is quite likely because

this year in nsw something like 700 people from regional areas went to prison for driving unlicensed because of the increased penalties which make it very easy to lose your licence.

as far as i can tell, this is just one of many gov initiatives to crush humanity.

• Like 1

No Licence, No Voting. :devil: Watch em

• Like 1

then it will be no rfid chip no healthcare

Edited by El presidente Hillbillios
  • Like 1

strange fuggahs, aren't they? Makes them feel safe to have the "power" to do stuff with guns and titles of grandeur and puffy red cheeks. pfffffttttt

• Like 1

then it will be no rfid chip no healthcare

The rfid chip will come in when everyone says it is unfair that you need a drivers license to vote. All of a sudden it makes sense to be chipped because this will be fairer and the only way they will give you access to the new vaccination that will give unlimited life span and health.. :BANGHEAD2:

Then we will become a republic and then capital punishment will be reintroduced.

Beyond that there will be a group of elite who can eliminate anyone, anytime, for no other reason than they were seen in a group of 3 or more people. This constitutes criminal activity in the eyes of the judge under the new bikie laws and millions get sent to the gallows. What do you all think the FEMA camps are. Check out the one at Robina on The Gold Coast. :crux:

So Lick Ass or Die!

I would rather Die knowing I have kept my soul intact and not sold out to the devil. :uzi::devil:

• Like 5

Lol @ taking the license of 2 bit thugs committing burgs. Im sure they will never drive to a house break-in ever again ... :scratchhead:

• Like 1