The Corroboree
Leaves

Vermiculite contains asbestos warning

I didn't know where to post this but since cacti lovers tend to use vermiculite I thought this section would be appropriate.

If you don't have time to watch, asbestos like substance comes from vermiculite.

Edited by Leaves

this gets bought up every so often. It doesnt contain asbestos anymore. This was ancient

• Like 6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite#Asbestos_contamination

Although not all vermiculite contains asbestos, some products were made with vermiculite that contained asbestos until the early 1990s. Vermiculite mines throughout the world are now regularly tested for it and are supposed to sell products that contain no asbestos. The former vermiculite mine in Libby, Montana, did have tremolite asbestos as well as winchite and richterite (both fibrous amphiboles) — in fact, it was formed underground through essentially the same geologic processes as the contaminants. A vermiculite mine in Virginia has also been found to be contaminated by asbestos.
Pure vermiculite does not contain asbestos and is non-toxic. Impure vermiculite may contain, apart from asbestos, also minor diopside or remnants of the precursor minerals biotite or phlogopite.

• Like 3

So the vermiculite in Australia is safe then, thanks for that makes me feel better, first I had heard about it & I thought it was recent info since the TED videos have been made recently.

• Like 1

I'd still be wetting that shit down though..... no dust is good for you

EDIT - and perlite more so....that shit has evil dust

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 6

It will tell you on the bags now. "Asbestos Free" .If you don't see that then that would be concern for me.

A bag of perlite I have has nothing about being asbestos free, it just has a warning on the front to wear a particulate mask & keep moist, but that may be due to silica content.