Jump to content
The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  

When Edible Plants Turn Their Defences On Us

Recommended Posts

Interesting. There must be a shit-tonne of oxalic acid in rhubarb leaves to cause a reaction like that. I always knew they were inedible but didn't know oxalic acid was the culprit, or that it could have such dire effects.

Especially considering it's in a lot of plants - like spinach, purslane...there's heaps I can't remember. I heard that cooking breaks it down though? Not sure how it could have actually killed that woman if that was the case (it said she fried them up)?

Found an interesting page on it at Eat The Weeds where it mentions a 53-year-old guy dying from eating 500g of sorrel in a soup, which reportedly contained 6-7g of oxalic acid in total. I had no idea so little could be so dangerous - I mean 500g is a lot of sorrel, but it's not beyond the realm of "I might eat that"...because sorrel is delicious.

And yeah, the grey area between edible and inedible is really interesting I think, nice find :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this