The Corroboree
Darklight

Sphagnum growing into hardwood cuttings

I have some caapi hardwood cuttings I took just before Spring started, they're in sphagnum

They haven't moved at all, though there seems to be swelling and water movement in parts of the stem relative to how damp the sphagnum is. Maybe they're waiting for some warmer weather

But the sphagnum is starting to send threads into some of the cuttings, and attach itself to the outer bark

Is this normal? Does it mean that the cutting is dead? Should I let the sphagnum threads penetrate the cuttings? Will that help?

I don't have a lot of experience with sphagnum, and google wasn't any help that I can see

Your cuttings should have roots by now. Check the cuttings to see if they are still alive by scraping away the outer bark with a finger nail on a small test area. If they are green underneath, they are alive. Sphagnum moss is not parasitic and does not have true roots. The root-like organs are probably just attaching to the cuttings for purchase and water absorption. They cannot harm live plants, but may penetrate dead and spongey plant tissue.

I strike caapi cuttings in a glass of water so I can watch for developing roots without disturbing them.

i dont think it means the cutting is dead, it just means the sphagnum is alive. i used to grow pitcher plants in live sphagnum and it never caused any problems