The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

how much sleep do you need?

8 - 10 hours. I need my beauty rest.

Edited by goneski
  • Like 2

run on about 6 to 7. Works for me but maybe I am a bit ADHD.

• Like 2

Its strange because when I am on dayshift I can survive doing a 12 hour shift on less than 8 hours sleep. When I'm on nightshift I can survive on around 6. Then when I'm on break I can sleep for 12 hours solid haha

• Like 1

How much is the best amount of sleep for you? Is there such a thing as over sleeping?

I seem to function best with about 8 hours per night.

I think in general most people need about 6 hours per night, although i have heard that alot of highly intelligent folk can function very well on much less, apparently Einstein used to only sleep a couple of hours per night, and i have heard of others living quite happily with this pattern too.

And YES! There is definately such a thing as over-sleeping! I have got into patterns of it myself, where i would sleep for 12hours or more at a time, and i think it have a strong negative effect on my ability to think clearly and make decisions.

• Like 1

6 was perfect whilst being a chronic pipe smoker, since the weeds gone It takes a little longer too fall asleep, I can sleep for 8 hrs or more now, a its real deep , dreamy sleep aswell,

For me 7 is heaps and all I need, perfect

My old boss who was morbidly obese went to bed at 12 every night and woke at 5.00 every morning , the most unhealthiest person I have ever met or imagined.

7 hours is about right for me. Although I wake / am woken often through the night, so I couldn't say that it's continuous sleep. If I oversleep (more than say 8 1/2 hours), I get quite groggy and lethargic. Undersleep is not so much of an issue for me. If I undersleep I can still be quite alert for the day, but I find my lower body, knees especially, get a bit achey. Stretching helps with that.

I seem to function best with about 8 hours per night.

I think in general most people need about 6 hours per night, although i have heard that alot of highly intelligent folk can function very well on much less, apparently Einstein used to only sleep a couple of hours per night, and i have heard of others living quite happily with this pattern too.

And YES! There is definately such a thing as over-sleeping! I have got into patterns of it myself, where i would sleep for 12hours or more at a time, and i think it have a strong negative effect on my ability to think clearly and make decisions.

I think its called polyphasic sleep... einstein and others would power nap for like 20 mins every couple hours for the entire 24hr period.

It is supposed to be the most efficient way to rest... I cant remember too many details about it. However my friend was right into it for a while and tried to live that lifestyle.. it really fucked with him and ofcourse is back to the monophasic pattern the majority of us all live with...

I myself function best on 8 hrs unfortunately I rarely get that.

• Like 1

7 is the magic number for me

anything over 8 hours and i'm foggy all day

under 6 hours and I can barely function

I probably wouldn't get up at all if I didn't have to.

• Like 3

i would love to ask my co worker this :BANGHEAD2: HE can go 4 days without winking fuken junkie :uzi:

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

about 6, but less isn't a problem, any more than 7 or so and i have trouble sleeping the following night

also yes definitely i get sleep surplus if i sleep too much,

if i have a bender on the weekend and sleep forever i'll usually go a day or two with minimal sleep after just because

You only need a few hours of REM sleep a night, anymore than 8 hours sleep and you won't be gaining anymore REM sleep as you don't go into the deepest sleep cycle that is required for REM.

You can definitely oversleep, it's called sleep inertia and it's why you feel so fucking tired after being asleep for 13 hours.

There's a lot you can read up on about sleep written by much more eloquent people than I, sleep is a major part of your life people should know all they can about it :)

Personally my sleep patterns depend on how much i'm working, if i'm working a lot between 4-6 hours sleep is enough for me easily. I can function on 3 hours sleep but it's much harder to concentrate.

There is no universally perfect number of hours to sleep everybody is different and fuck anybody that says otherwise.

Try and sleep when it gets dark and wake up when it gets bright, try to expose yourself to the sun as early as you can to trip your pineal gland to stop producing melatonin and try to keep as dark as possible at night to produce melatonin when you need it. Exposure to bright lights during 'sleep time' can trip your pineal gland and fuck up your circadian cycle.

• Like 5

6-7 hours is about the sweet spot and its usually broken. I do sneak the odd powernap in when out on big jobs.

Have definitely felt the haze of oversleeping before.

Used to be 8-9hrs when I worked a shit job, now I run off 4-6hrs and bounce off the walls until (insert random time to crash) comes along. I think it's a big happiness for life thing, sleep that is... If you hate it, you'll sleep more..

my pattern is:

when i'm rested and happy 4 blocks of 4 hours.

sometimes in this state i do 1 x 4.5 blocks at a time.

if i'm tired and depressed i usually take 12 hours of pure metric time at least.

for the most i sleep 4 hours at a time.

you know get up, walk around, do a shit.then think......whilst shitting or after a shit i think pretty hard and good.....don't laugh at me, i was once like you.

• Like 3

theres no such thing as too much sleep, and we dont stop hitting good sleep stages after 8 or even 12hrs sleep

we heal and reset many underlying systems, the more time spent doing this the better!

in the total night, approx 20% is Slow Wave Sleep, our healing and another 20% is REM, our brain and memory functions

ESPECIALLY in todays busy lifestyle, i suggest an extra couple hours does wonders for your health

7-8 seems my magic number, any more makes me feel weird as shit.

About 6 - 7 is about right for me.

If I am in newborn phase I can manage with just increasing the amount of winking I do...

I need 9-10 but I only get about 7. My body is all out of whack. I don't feel rested unless I have 10, but my body absolutely refuses to go to sleep unless I've been up for 16 hours. I envy people when I ask them what they did that day and they say they slept - if I did that I'd be up all night as well. Do the math and it ends up with me sleeping two hours extra each day. It's the bane of my existence and I wish there was a way for me to fix it. No luck yet, but I'm always trying.

Hey vegetarium, I have struggled with sleep most my life too, but have now ejust come to accept that some nights I won't get as much as I need. Last night I got 6 hours for example, but it was deep sleep and I feel rested enough to face the day. What tends to happen for me is I will get more and more tired due to low sleep then eventually I will get 8 hours that will fix me up.

In the end you have just got to listen to your body - no point in trying to sleep if your body doesn't want to. Exercise can really help here too, especially soon after you wake up and at the end of the day. That way, in oz at least, you will also be getting melatonin doses twice a day from the sun to reinforce your circadian rhythm.

Gut Schlafen!

Thanks for all the interesting responses.

even in my family variation is apparent.

my father never needed more than 4-5 hours a day and said those that needed more were soft. I remember whole months where he was up until 1am and up again at 4.30am.

my grandfather on my mothers side needed 12 hours a day. He'd be up for work at 7.30am so would go to bed at 7.30pm! Grandma said it was rather boring although he still managed to pack In a box of cigs and a beer every night.

sleep for me has always been an issue. I generally wake up feeling worse than when I went to sleep since I was about 14. The only time I wake better is if I drank alcohol before bed or got 9 hours plus with no reading or computer near bed time.

what is do to have a quarter of my dad's energy...