The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Fractalhead

Let's Get Alcohol Banned!!

Ok. Is there any legal reason why this drug should not be automatically made Schedule 9?

Imagine the media shitfight that would be caused if a group of people - pissed-off with injustices in the scheduling of their chosen spiritual/sacramental medicines - decided to seriously, aggressively, and tirelessly, and not to mention, extremely intelligently, campaign to have ethanol banned for the cause of drawing attention to the illegitimate scheduling of drugs other than ethanol (a prime example, of course, being Salvia divinorum).

I bet there would be real public consultation on the banning

of ETHANOL!

This approach might seem at first to defeat the point, but really, i reckon it would do a lot of good. What do you people reckon?

I'm into it.

I don't really want to get it banned, but I would be happy to campaign to make a statement about the serious injustice involved in drug laws.

Worth a shot. If the message could get across, it would certainly make people think. It would need to be well funded though.

When they did that in my country there was war in the streets, crime bosses took over all major cities, and MANY people died from poisonous moonshine. Alcohol is too deeply rooted, too addictive, too easy to make, and too profitable for a prohibition to succeed. Good luck.

I rather sit on the fence and watch both sides fighting/protesting, I love my red wines, specially merlot too much, I normally spent about $150 an fortnight on wines, as I am member of wine clubs where I get wines by the carton....they send my a carton every 2 weeks... I guess I am a alchoalic.... :P goodluck guys....

Exactly, Auxin.

The only way to contribute to the real downfall of alcohol, would be to make most other drugs available.

I bet there's a hell of a lot of people out there who have been more or less heavily addicted to alcohol and are totally sick and tired of it.

The main reason those continue to drink is that there's really nothing much else legally available if you just have the urge to alter the perception of your everyday reality...

Yes, there's pot which is pretty much everywhere, but many people don't like it because it gives them paranoia and stuff.

And also it doesn't have the ability to totally knock you out like alcohol can.

Sometimes, when people are very disappointed or something, they just have to release that pressure by knocking themselves out.

I think opium would be a good sub for that.

I'm not advocating heroin or morphine, which are shot up in syringes, just eating and smoking opium. That's only one possibily.

Then for other occasions there's acid and tryptamines etc, and of course mushies, the masters of hallucinaton...

Going by the fact that alcohol can be very dangerous to the individuals who consume it and to those around them, all these afore mentioned drugs should be legal as well.

Strongly addictive substances should be controlled by medical supervision.

Young adults should be taught responsible drug use.

Alcohol would still be around, but only preferred by few.

And there wouldn't be anything wrong with that.

I can remember when home brewing was illegal, back about 1970 from memory. That was a hoot. Dad used to be boiling up hops in the basement, curtains drawn, and worried that the odour would give him away, or that one of the church group would drop in unexpectedly, etc. At least he didn't have to skulk around for supplies. Health food shops used to sell a lot of malt extract in those days, no questions asked.

You used to see the occasional commercial operation getting busted on the news. A bit like what is going on with tobacco nowadays, I suppose.

Nahhh, dont ban it. It's the root of allot of evil nowadays.... I say illegal brewin is the way to go... heh, "power to the People" smile.gif

Plus it would be virtually impossible to ban alcohol.

It's multi-million-dollar- business and the people who run the beer and wine and spirit business also run the country.

My theory is that this is the main reason most other drugs are banned: so they won't interfere with alcohol sales.

"It's multi-million-dollar- business"- gomaos

Correction its a multi-multi-billion-dollar a year business. With the profits from one year of alcohol sales you could buy a country. Now thats a drug with power!

But the point as I've seen it, isn't to get it banned, just to get the public attention and to force people to question their own beliefs.

Thankyou for pointing that out Jetblack, that IS the whole point. See guys, just the mention of banning alcohol (realistic or otherwise) has already provoked emotional and practical discussion between people having a wide range of perspectives on alcohol and drug use and abuse. This is what i think would be good for the community in the form of a large scale 'media shitfight'. All we need to do to get the ball rolling is find a way of getting the public to believe that alcohol could actually be forced to be made illegal for some 'technical/legal' reason. I realise it probably wouldn't end up becoming illegal (no matter how hard we tried) but if we can convince people that it might become illegal it would set the discussion rolling. We just need to find some ambiguity in the drug laws (not a hard thing to do) and try and use this to explain why alcohol should be illegal and then let the media and the public discuss it like crazy until they finally come to a proper explanation why alcohol should be legal while other drugs like salvia should be made illegal all the evidence supporting its exclusion from Schedule 9.

[This message has been edited by Fractalhead (edited 26 August 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Fractalhead (edited 26 August 2002).]

Originally posted by Fractalhead:

Thankyou for pointing that out Jetblack, that IS the whole point.

True. Score one to jetblack, a fellow non-addict.

See guys, just the mention of banning alcohol (realistic or otherwise) has already provoked emotional and practical discussion between people having a wide range of perspectives on alcohol and drug use and abuse.

Or a wide range of misinterpretations of your original message. Or maybe we were all drunk. I know I was when first I read this post smile.gif.

All we need to do to get the ball rolling is find a way of getting the public to believe that alcohol could actually be forced to be made illegal for some 'technical/legal' reason. I believe... if we can convince people that it might become illegal it would set the discussion rolling (re) drug laws... use this to explain why alcohol should be illegal... let the media and the public discuss it until they finally come to a proper explanation why alcohol should be legal while other drugs should be made illegal

etc. etc...

1. It is always easier to have a drug banned than unbanned. How many drugs are banned? And now, how many drugs are available after being unbanned? (decriminalised MJ in some Australian states and territories does not count, nor does prohibition: we never had full prohibition in Australia).

2. Points of law are useless unless wielded by someone. If you start that movement, the fulfilment of your dream will be one step closer.

3. In my experience, drug laws make little sense and bad policy. However, the repression of a society is directly related to its happiness. There are many that would sacrifice the giddying dangers of freedom for the comfortable jackboot of excessive law- as long as most of those laws apply to 'real criminals' (ie pot smokers) rather than 'soft criminals' (ie corrupt politicians and greed-bloated corporations that shore them up and destroy the standard of living for hundreds of thousands of 'battlers').

Until people realise that personal harm is sometimes the workmate of free choice, they will continue to surrender freedom for security. And when that security is against being assaulted and mutilated by two psychopaths in your own home, crazed from marijuana withdrawal and willing to kill for a 'lid'...

(Except the media and government will quietly hush up the fact that you're much more likely to be killed by a drunk driver or in a barroom assault)...

Basically, people are sheep. Politicians tell us we need ever-stricter rules and laws, and we- the people- cry out for these laws that we need. Democracy my arse. In a population of 900 idiots and 100 geniuses, whose vote will carry the day?

Good luck with your alcohol project and please don't take offence at anything I have written here. It's just the wikkid custom beer talking. Get alcohol banned and I will personally hunt you down. Juuuuust kidding!

waz

Guest Mesqualero

What boggles my mind the most is why cigarettes havent been totally banned... One of the biggest killers of all time and the government still allows it's sale.

With anything else with such a bad Health record it would be an S5 poison at least...

Funny old world hey wink.gif I just try to ignore it all

Originally posted by Wazron:

Until people realise that personal harm is sometimes the workmate of free choice, they will continue to surrender freedom for security.

Now that you're sober, could you explain what you meant by that??

Originally posted by Mesqualero:

What boggles my mind the most is why cigarettes havent been totally banned... One of the biggest killers of all time and the government still allows it's sale.

Doesn't boggle my mind at all.

To me it's perfectly clear that the one major thing everything in this country and most other western countries go by is PROFIT!

Cigarettes are mult-billon-dollar business, ESPECIALLY for the government, same as Fuel and Alcohol, big tax dollars they absolutely don't want to do without....

Their concerns about health-issues are only fake...

Why else would they allow killer drugs like alcohol and nicotine to continue, while still prohibiting the in comparison extremely harmless cannabis?

"Why else would they allow killer drugs like alcohol and nicotine to continue, while still prohibiting the in comparison extremely harmless cannabis?"

Because they're arseholes...thats why

-bumpy

Guest Mesqualero

Well maybe boggles my mind wasnt the right thing to say... maybe pisses me off is the right thing.

You're right Gomaos money is all they are interested in.... fuckin evil....EVIL!

Talk to the Greens Fractalhead. I believe one of them made a point of exactly what you're saying during the drug summit. I'm not sure which one it was but she got dragged away by security for smoking a cigarette and drinking a glass of wine in the front gardens and kicking up a fuss as to how they were talking about what to do with marijuana and heroin and so on without mentioning the two biggest drug killers of western society.