The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Idon'tstudydinosaurs

Bugs destroying Brugmansia/Datura

I want to know the trick to growing Brugmansia/Datura? I have raised these from seed donated by kind people on the forum hydroponically into plants of around 12'' but as soon as they have been planted outside they are destroyed by insects. I have tried greenhouses and snail/slug repelant but I have lost around seven healthy plants. I did a search for this but couldn't find anything on the forum. Please help, I really want to grow these to maturity.

Have you been able to determine what type of insect/s have been killing them off? As that may help to figure out a solution to stop them.

The snail problem is pretty bad. I put bait down and within a couple of days snails have eaten it all, died in the pot which now allows other snails to make their way to the plant. Caterpillars are also a big problem. Is there anything that can be used as a general purpose?

Ive heard rumors that snails wont cross Dolomite Lime, never tested it tho, I have maggies and butcherbirds in charge of security here for pest

your pot is a magnet for pests animals, because of the moisture and the good food you provide.

I suggest you re pot them into the open or repot and place the pot somewhere, where it dries out more.

12 inch plants hardly can get killed by slugs and leaf eaters (they always survive!:)), even if ther is only halve the stem left they will re shoot.

try not to fight the pest but eliminate issues which facilitate the pest ( wet spot with slug, snail hide outs, too shady, spot never dries out,...).

put the pot's somewhere higher up, this can make it harder for snails/slugs.

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 2

I was having slug and snail problems with cacti and other potted plants. I found that the adhesive copper tape - 'slugga' barrier tape, worked really well.

hey p. shaman i dont have snail probz but a huge problem with caterpillar moth and mites dont get me started on diseases.. :BANGHEAD2:

where i live u cant grow brugs in full sun and u cant let the pot dry out or ya brug will die!! like ph says moisture will draw these fukers to ya plant!! i spray my brugs with a pesticide/mitecide :uzi: with my seedlings i bring them inside @ nite till they r big enough !!

sum of my brug hybrids NEVER get touched!!!!!!! daturas the same but it can handle the heat and the dry alot better!!

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

Cheers. I am moving back to Perth soon so I will try again. My current location is a tad too windy and cool (near the coast) for Brugs/Dats. Its just so frustrating to raise plants inside from seed with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Then to plant them outside and to get raped by bugs almost overnight :(

Bugs on brugs.

Diatomaceous earth is magical: http://diatomaceousearthonline.com.au/

And chickens are also good at decimating slugs / snails and caterpillars (but they scratch up the garden beds pretty bad).

Good luck with them.

Edited by Cimi

i wouldnt put my chooks near my brugs :crux:

Yeah mine get into everything. Sometimes I think my garden is mainly just a playground for them!

I've heard, but haven't tried myself, that planting garlic bulbs in the ground in your garden is a natural deterrent. I have worked in a garden where we planted garlic for this reason, but never tried it.

Could be worth a shot?

I use powdered cinnamon to keep back pests moving over the ground, works with snail, slugs, ants etc.