The Corroboree
enohpi-zeekim

Legality of mycelium.

Does anyone know, is it illegal to grow mycelium alone? I just have been acquiring spore prints to look at the spore differences and I wanted to culture mycelium on Petri dishes to see how the different mycelia goes through growth stages. Is it illegal to even grow a psilocybin species to this stage. Obviously they would never be able to reach a fruiting stage on a culture dish and so there would never be a mushroom, I am not familiar with Australian law regarding this matter yet. Anyone know where I can find the answer in legal form, not just by, say so. I know it is illegal to grow mycelia with the intent if growing mushrooms but for there to be intent there would need to be more than Petri dishes with a growth pattern in? I would have believed it would need a humidity dome or a substrate with potential to grow fruiting bodies on? As agar lacks potential to grow fruiting bodies from my knowledge, I had thought it possible to grow the mycelium for research without licience. Please can anyone clarify this and provide a link?

To get some rapid mycellium growth in your plates your going to need to add some malt extract or something similiar to the agar to feed the myc.

You can sprout spores on strait agar but growth is very slow.

Ive 'heard' of primordia and pins forming in agar jars.

As for the legality of growing mycellium of active varieties, i dont know.

If spore prints are for microscopy only then its a pretty close bet that germination of 'active' spores would be frowned upon.

However, you'd hope the average LE officer prob wouldnt know what myc is, let alone myc from cubensis etc...

Cubensis mycellium can go blue when stressed or damaged though, this may give the game away. :)

I don't know for certain but I would presume that the mycelium culture would be illegal plus an agar plate can fruit. I have had edibles pin on agar in a petri dish.

This is not my photo I am just posting it to show the possibility of a plate fruiting.

post-4489-0-33398800-1382326220_thumb.jp

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-33398800-1382326220_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-33398800-1382326220_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Unreal, I didn't know that they could fruit only on PDA. Well I would have to imagine that answers my Q. If the culture is able to fruit and the mycelium bruises blue then it must be active with psilicybin well before they fruit.

Cheers for that.

Given that it contains psilocybin, I'm sure it would be illegal.

• Like 3

yes, 100% ILLEGALand most likely enough proof of intent to grow or manufacture. :(

• Like 1

Yes I found that out now. Stupid law. A bit off research topic but still same fungi, I actually heard back in NZ that if people who wanted to eat them,( it was illegal of coarse because it meant picking and holding which would be harvesting and possession). But I heard,( & of coarse it's hard to know for sure), but, if you were to get down and pick them with your mouth it wasn't illegal if you ate them because its called grazing! Lol! Yeah human grazing rights. So if you have the right to graze on grass and herbs and just happened to eat psylicibe mushrooms it was legal. Anyone know if that's true? Yeah this cool freaky hippy dude from west coast of NZ told me when I was doing a South Island tour in a Winnebago.

• Like 2