The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gtarman

What are the world's rainiest cities?

My new hypotheses is that I can't be happy without regular rainy days, and I'm trying to put together a list of cities that have very high numbers of annual rain days per year - they can be anywhere in the world, but I'm not really interested in the tropics - I want nice cool rain, not hot yucky sticky monsoons.

If it has 180 days or more of rain per year, I'd like to hear about it! If that rain is consistently spread out through the year, even better!

Any ideas? Only really interested in answers with figures, as that's what I'm struggling to find (ie the number of annual rain days, not just "I hear it rains in England sometimes, maybe, derrp".. :slap:)

Cheers!

tully, QLD

Edited by bullit

^^ yeah I thought about that one, but it falls a bit too much under tropical for me - they get drenched to buggery all at once with flooding and cyclones and shit. Not really my thing. I mean, like a more temperate kind of rainy

coffs harbour?

Average rainfall per yer (inches)

Europe

Rome: 23
London: 29
Paris: 25
Berlin: 23
Frankfurt: 25
Zurich: 42.5
Bergen: 81.7
Amsterdam: 31
Milan: 39
Madrid: 17
Dublin: 29
Edinburgh: 26

North America

New York City: 47.2
Washington DC: 41
Miami: 60
Los Angeles: 14.9
New Orleans: 63
Atlanta: 50
Phoenix: 7.6
Seattle: 40
Chicago: 34
Dallas: 37
Boston: 42.3
Toronto: 30
Vancouver: 43.6
Juneau: 90

South America

Sao Paulo: 55
Buenos Aires: 38.7
Lima: 0.2
Caracas: 33

Asia

Tokyo: 60
Shanghai: 45
Beijing: 25
Tel Aviv: 21
Hong Kong: 87
Singapore: 89.5
Calcutta: 63
Dubai: 4
Dhaka: 78

Africa

Cairo: 1
Nairobi: 40
Cape Town: 24.1

Cheers guys. But yeah, I found all that stuff no problem...I'm interested in the number of rain days. Lived in Melbourne before, wouldn't say it fits the bill at all.

Haha Gtarman have you heard about stewart island?

Its the little blob at the bottom of New Zealand..many cheap maps miss it out lol.

"Stewart Island/Rakiura has a cool climate with few temperature extremes. In winter the average temperature is 10 C, in summer it is 16.5 C. Annual rainfall is not high near the coast (1600 mm rising to 3000 mm in the hills) but is distributed relatively evenly throughout the year with rain falling on 200- 250 days"

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/hunting/where-to-hunt/southland/stewart-island-rakiura-hunting/

When i was down there last i spoke to a local who told me it was more like 300 days of rain per year!

Its the most beautiful island though.. I love the rain too and hope to go live there on the edge of the forest one day.

If you can handle the cold and wouldn't mind having more plant and animal company than human...then seriously, consider it.

The kakas are friendly ;) they will come and drink from your cup of tea/coffee..sometimes even vodka and orange if you leave it on the deck.. They are not happy when you try take it back off them either!

post-8023-0-22794800-1382091186_thumb.jp

http://www.portofcall.co.nz/stewart/default.asp

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Ceres

Hmmmm. I like the sound of it. Although humans are occasionally useful. But could be good for recluse breaks.

I managed to find the following list of the rainiest European cities:

10 rainiest cities
Number of days per year with precipitation

1. Copenhagen, Denmark 251

2. Oslo, Norway 232

3. London, UK 226

4. Brussels, Belgium 220

5. Amsterdam, Netherlands 214

6. Helsinki, Finland 203

7. Stockholm, Sweden 164

8. Vienna, Austria 160

9. Prague, Czech Republic 143

10. Dublin, Ireland 139

One more reason to move to Amsterdam.

EDIT: it looks like that is for days with any precipitation at all...wikipedia puts Amsterdam as having only 133 days with greater than 1mm

Edited by gtarman

but dont them 1s get supa fuken cold in winter fuk that :unsure:

maybe you can just install a sprinkler on your roof.. derp

• Like 2

here near the Harz mountains in Germany the average rainy days per year is 180, and it is temperate. it makes for beautiful emerald green forests in spring and summer (when the sun is out to reveal the colours), and very snowy winters (up to a meter at your front door some years, I've been told). however the combination of rain, cool weather and continuous cloud cover is hard to get used to -- although the locals, being brought up with it, do not seem to mind so much. however I do notice that on the rare occassion that the sun does come out, everyone jumps at the chance to get outside and not get wet, and there are smiles all round. if you like mud and sleet then this is the place for you!

• Like 1

Seattle, Washington and Baltimore, Maryland. Went to grad school in MD and boy did it rain all. the. time. Summer time does get muggy though, Seattle is a pretty temperate climate.

• Like 1

Seattle could be cool I guess. Wikipedia reckons 150 days of rain a year, and 201 cloudy/overcast days.

MILLAA MILLAA North Queensland, Australia. Translated from WET WET. into Aboriginal language.

I even wrote a song about it when I lived there. Cheers!

"Oh The Rain"

Oh how it rains up here,

just wanna disappear.

It's not what you want to hear

Coz while it rains up here your skies are clear.

Mould grows on everything,

Cupboards creak and barely swing.

You can not do anything,

Except to pray for a fine Spring.

If you do not like the rain,

You would find this place a pain.

Maybe even go insane,

I try so hard not to complain.

You can't have a job outdoors,

or it will saturate your pores.

As it may rain for seven scores,

Which makes it hard to do the chores.

Mud Mouldy town we call it,

It rains here more than just a bit,

The locals will tell you it's shit,

You wouldn't move here in a fit.

If you were born in gum boots,

Mud mouldy town would be a hoot.

You don't have to wear a suit,

I am sure you'd find it really cute.

• Like 1

Seattle could be cool I guess. Wikipedia reckons 150 days of rain a year, and 201 cloudy/overcast days.

can u live with them you know them people??? rain is good but them people is another :wacko:

• Like 2

Stretchen in southern tassie gets the most in Australia. Or so I've read.

Seattle is often called the rainy city and would get far more if the snow didn't get in the way.

That'd be Strahan Zen?

Living in that town will give you over 300 days a year easy of precipitation (drizzle,shower,rain,sleet and snow...lol fog will give you a few more days - 1458mm/yr average).

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

My towns pretty rainy Gtarman, you can come hang out with me if u like. And females outnumber males by like 5/1 or something ridiculous like that.

• Like 1

^ if I get a state Liberal government then NZ was looking likely to escape the insanity....hmmmm 5:1 you say...lol

• Like 1