The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mindmelt

How addictive is OPIUM?

I am a rather nervous and anxious young chap,the (REAL)world is far too sharp and painfull for me to bare un-medicated.I prefer the term NEUTRALIZED.My mind races continually and runs off in tangents that even Oliver Sacks would find astounding,and therefore,I find myself in a wee spot of bother.I shall endevour to spend the rest of my life (once decent and encouraging suggestions from you kind people are noted) marinated inside a FLUFFY CLOUD,be it perscription medicines or something slightly more black-market.I am perfectly capable of growing enough poppies to make a Burmese bushman shout"EKA BOOKA EEKA BOOKA"so am thinking I could just spend my days blissfully opiated.However I do not want to become a hopeless chronic,or for that matter a pathetic granny bashing junkie.Do you learned citizens think that a opium addiction will eventually lead to smack??..

Someone better hurry up and fire me out some info quick-smart,Im defragmenting in an utterly horrifying manner.

Will opium addiction lead to smack?

That depends. If heroin is unobtainable to you odviously not, but I'll assume it is obtainable.

Heroin is just a much faster method of morphine administration, because by the time the heroin gets to the receptors it is converted to (or simply acts just like) morphine. If you get addicted to opium, you are addicted to morphine. As the addiction progresses you'll need more of the drug, and you'll need it more often quickly going past the amount that you could produce for yourself. If at this point you tried heroin it would satisfy the addiction far better than opium would, so you would swich to heroin and very soon your opium addiction would change to heroin addiction and you would probably become a junkie!

My advice- Dont live the rest of your life in chains (addiction) or in a quickly fading fog of false contentment because thats when the end of your life starts.

Sure 'lifes a bitch and then you die' but it is foolish to willingly make it far worse just for a temporary delusion of pleasure or escape.

Originally posted by mindmelt:

Do you learned citizens think that a opium addiction will eventually lead to smack??..

Well for a start I can't se many ppl here supporting your decision to spend the rest of your life completely trashed. Still, it's your life, personally I reckon it'd be easier to sort the brain problem out in the short term than risk all sorts of dodgy consequences by wrapping your brain in muslin for the next fifty years...

Saying that one drug will neccessarily lead to another drug is like saying that drinking milk leads to alcoholism ( my social education teacher told me that when I was 15 and I thank him for his wisdom today ) Most ppl start life drinking milk, and some become alcoholics. Statistics are a flawed way of looking at things unless you recoognise their weak points and try for a balanced view

However two points...

* You are pretty unlikely to be able to grow enough opium to keep yourself happy long term ( presuming you are doing it in a place where it is legal to do so )- you will require more opium per dose over time as your tolerance increases unless you take frequent breaks.

* At a glance ( neuro ppl care to comment? )you'd be tweaking the opiod receptors regardless of whether you're taking opium or smack, and so, should you develop an opium habit, one day when stocks are low and/ or you feel like a stronger high/ you start to feel like complete shit there is a better chance that you will make an effort to er, switch to a stronger brand. Whether this continues and becomes a heroin habit is your call. But you're more likely to switch brands if you have an established physical need in the first place

Mm, whatever your problem, constant medication be it black market or otherwise isn't an attactive solution. And I've known shitloads of smack freaks, both good and bad, and even the ones who keep it together and are sometimes awake and interesting enough to be with don't often recommend it as a lifestyle choice...

Sort out what's wrong with your head, long and short term its probably going to be easier. Then play with your neurotransmitters. Recreational drug use is only recreational as long as its fun.

there are two problems which must be dealt with when climbing the papaver tree to partake of its fruits. firstly it's fucking great stuff, when you find a dose u like - you'll really like. secondly there's a little thing called TOLERANCE. the humanoid often surmises that if some is good then more must be better but it is the 'more' part of the equation that brings the problems. if you can ever get the chance to watch someone you care about go through withdrawals then please do it as it will be a good lesson to not ever allow yourself to get too dependant. opiates are fine until you have none then come nightmares so freaky you'll marvel at your own macabre creativity. my best advice is use them as a short course, never as a daily thing.

Yay WD, you're right.

The nice thing about papaver is it's seasonality...by the time you're starting to get a bit naughty with it, the season's over and you have to wait til next year....

Originally posted by Darklight:

Yay WD, you're right.

You make it sound like a special occasion. i'll have you know that i'm always right. those times in which i appear to be wrong are actually the work of hackers and other scoundrels using my username and password.

Lo there smile.gif

Sorry for coming in a bit late - but I have a little xeperience in this field.

The horrors of withdrawal have already been glossed over... trust me when I say that.

Being said Im of the opinion that if you can keep it together then you need never experience it.

If you decide daily medication is for you - you will - no two ways about it. But once youve been through it once or twice you'll learn that as long as you take a break every so often you can keep those icy hands off your spine.

As for it leadimg to Smack - No offence - but are you completly brain dead?

If you even consider it as a posibility once you get a opium habit going it will become a probability - especially if as you claim you can grow a lot. By the time you really need that fix - youll need it so bad you wont even consider what kind of low life scum your buying it off - or what they actually sold you.

My advice - forget H exists - dont even think about Pharm. Grade Morph. Remove the option of spiking a vein from your mind and you might just stand a chance.

In short if YOU think it could lead to H - it probably will.

FS

And don't forget that opium leads to very bad constipation (and when it is wearing off very bad diarrhoea) which makes it impossible to eat a balanced diet even if you have the will to cook it.

The lack of proper nutrition will aggravate your mental problems and introduce some physical ones as well. Then you take the opium for the pain and increase the dose and eventually you will run out and need other sources.

Might I recommend ashwagandha as a long-term tranquilliser? Probably addictive but it doesn't appear to have health problems associated with longterm use.

Some of the essential oils are strong but safe sedatives, try rose or basil.

Also heavy exercise, lots of social contact (join a club of some sort - chess, debating, modelmaking, gardening, they usually have lots of nervous talkative people) and excessive sex (with a partner if possible as this usually increases the exercise component).

Try to enjoy the vividness of your feelings, the world is a place of marvels. Many too painful to bear but would you miss all the thrills because it is a bit scary?

I hope I'm not repeating anyone here, but...

I've used the OPM 3 times a day for the past 6 years and I've never thought it as being addictive wink.gif

IMO Cough medicines and panadols are more of a concern.

In comparison to coffe & cigs, three times a month (orally) is of no great threat to ones health or mental state.

I'm this "_" close to actually condoning it's use, but I'm feeling I should be socially responsible and JUST SAY KNOW!

Nothin like OJ in the morning tongue.gif

IMHO Experimentation/ Medication>Habituation>Dependancy>Addiction The deciding factor is

"The difference between a medicine and a drug is purely one of dosage"

[This message has been edited by Adrian (edited 18 July 2002).]

"The difference between a medicine and a drug is purely one of dosage"- Adrian

DOSAGE?

Dont you mean intent?

I've seen this thing on a number of occations, for example I once observed a 'stoner' and a AIDS patient together smoking pot. To the AIDS patient it was medicine that allowed him to keep down food, to the 'stoner' it was to have fun (ie. drug). The AIDS patient smoked one gram, and the 'stoner' smoked one gram. They were both about the same weight, and they both consumed their pot at the same rate, so it was the same dose but different intent that made one a medicine and the other a recreational drug.

[This message has been edited by Auxin (edited 18 July 2002).]

Originally posted by Adrian:

I hope I'm not repeating anyone here, but...

I've used the OPM 3 times a day for the past 6 years and I've never thought it as being addictive wink.gif

can you tell me more about your method of ingestion please, and the strain from whence came the extract. SWIM developed a tolerance very quickly with laudanum, having to increase the dose to achieve good effects. the sleep it provides is deep,dreamy,long lasting and very rejuvenating for mind and body. people who swear that they can't sleep past eight in the morning have been astonished to awake at 11.30 a.m the following morning.