The Corroboree
TommyChesnutt

So is anyone else into fitness? (bodybuilding, fat loss etc)

Hey guys,

So just like the title says!

Do you do it for fun? or for a purpose?

What do you do? is it occasional,

or crazy regime-oriented?

drop your fitness lives, big or small, male or female :)

mine: pushups maybe twice a week, butt raises on the floor 3 sessions a week (for my posterior chain - keeping the back healthy...)

in terms of diet, really watch for calcium, vitamin A and protein intake. otherwise not too crazy like other young men my age.

looking forward to others'.

• Like 1

I used to be quite a lot. mainly running excessively and having a strict kind of situp/chinup/pushup regime.

My diet was also strict and I was mega fit and healthy.

Still I was tired all the time and when I quit doing it so much I felt much more rested.

• Like 2

If you eat Pho for breakfast everyday you will live forever.

Edited by eatfoo
  • Like 4

I've done a few obstacle races (Tough Mudder, The Stampede, Raw Challenge etc) over the last few years which have rekindled my motivation fitness wise.

I do:

1 long run off-road (about 1 hour)

1 short run barefoot on the beach (30 min)

Push-ups, Pull-ups/Chin-ups, Leg raises, Headstands & Handstands (working toward handstand push-ups) and Bridges - one decent session each per week.

Used to do 20 minutes of 1min on, 1 min off intervals on a long public stairway, but find the motivation for that a bit much, even though interval training can make a massive difference to my fitness really quickly.

Diet: plenty of fruit veg and dairy, more protein if I feel a craving for it; if my pants don't fit I try to eat less :)

I’m all over the place with fitness and healthy eating. I get off the noids then start on a strict diet of veg, tofu, protein powder and raw eggs, then get on the dumb bells and do push ups, crunches and planks 3 times a day every second day with lots of walking (I hate running) on my off days, till I start looking cut.

Then usually after a few weeks I think screw it, “who’ve I got to look good for”? Then I go hook up some noids and chill out to a some utube doco’s or whatever, get a major case of the munchies, order 2 custom made vegetarian pizzas and then BANG! Full-blown relapse. 2 weeks later I’m still doing basically stuff all every night getting china eyed and stuffing my face with shit. Then repeat step one.

Yeah, whata gonna do, think I need a lady in my life to keep me in line, lol.

been bodybuilding about ten years now, 5yrs ago was pretty motivated but now its more a lifestyle and i miss more training sessions than make, so no big deal

but yea, plan on eating good and excercising forever, for me the zone you hit pushing your body to its limits is priceless

It's interesting what works for different people - when I was younger I always thought that weights were the answer - chest presses were better than push-ups, but I think pretty much the opposite now.

• Like 1

i did some like 5 pushups the other day while listening to eye of the tiger. does that count?

• Like 2

" No actually I don't. I play real sports, not try to be the best at exercising!"

KENNY POWERS

:)

• Like 1

I do a lot of bar work on my chinup bar. Skin the cat, front levers, back levers & upsidedown pullups ect. I don't see that as a workout though I really just practice whenever I walk under the bar which is in my bedroom doorway.

I do several different Kettlebell workouts & a few Bulgarian bag sessions each week. I also do weighted chinups (my two kids or two kettlebells) and mix in a few sets of dips & inclined pullups and inclined pushups with one of my Kettlebell workouts.

I got a bit slack a while ago when I injured my knee, so I'm slowly building my strenght back up. I'm back up to doing chinups with an extra 44 kg added weight. I hope to get back to one arm chinups soon.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 1

If I eat the way I naturally fell like it, I think I would keep on putting on fat forever. The first time I started putting on weight, I didn't realise it was going to happen, but realised I needed to do something to keep it in check when I got to about 105kg. So I started eating better and getting a bit of exercise and got back down to 70kg. Now I don't let myself get above 90kg, so it's generally a few months of eating healthy and getting myself down to 70kg, followed by a year or more of slowly putting on weight until I get up to eighty-something.

I like working out, but half the time can't be bothered getting myself to the gym. I'd work out all the time if I have weights at home, but don't have the space for them. So I have a gym membership and try to make it at least three times a week, but often don't make it there. I've tried full body workouts, but didn't find I could recover in time to go as often as I'd like, so now I do a back day (deadlifts, pull-ups, barbell rows, etc.), a leg day (squats, romanian deadlifts, etc.), and a chest/tri day (presses, flys, skullcrushers, etc.).

I do 50-60 crunches and 15-25 weight bearing squats each night to keep a reserve of muscle on for when I need to do lots of digging or hoeing in my garden, and for when I want to go on 15-30 km plant hunts.

I also do daily stretches to keep a pesky IT band from kicking up shit in my hip and knee, I walk/run my dog at least once a week which counts because he insists on 4-5 km walks/runs, and recently I found a big deposit of nutrient rich basaltic sand so I'll go on a 10 km hike, returning with 4 kilos of sand on my back. Four kilo loads will build up, eventually, and make a nice mass of cactus soil by april. I also travel around on a kickscooter. A bit unorthodox for my age, so I wear a feather tiara and lots of sparkly bits so people wont stare at the scooter.

I dont need to do anything for fat loss, I'm an herbivore who doesnt eat junk food... after instituting that lifestyle change I lost a kilo I wanted to keep :lol: Worth it tho, as now I can eat unlimited quantities of food and stay a solid 53 kilos and have more stamina and...pleasures than I ever had before.

butt raises on the floor 3 sessions a week (for my posterior chain - keeping the back healthy...)

Yeah... I did that for a while, I wouldnt mind having a nice posterior or a healthy backside either. A bit time consuming tho, doing enough to feel it.

• Like 1

it could be related to my random consumption of supplements, or it could be something simple like blood sugar

why does my brain sometimes start to feel dumb while i'm trying to sweat all over a treadmill? i don't care for the feeling: like my mental poise (in my skull) lapses and i can't focus it back.

it could be related to my random consumption of supplements, or it could be something simple like blood sugar

why does my brain sometimes start to feel dumb while i'm trying to sweat all over a treadmill? i don't care for the feeling: like my mental poise (in my skull) lapses and i can't focus it back.

I get that all the time, at work I love just going harder than anyone else, even though I really don’t have to, just because it feels awesome to push myself. But then I can’t even think straight or have a conversation without constantly forgetting the word I’m looking for.

Edited by SunChaser

mine: pushups maybe twice a week

i also maybe do 2 pushups a week..

lame joke sorry.

cause running on a treadmill is dumb.

why don't you just go for a run? to somewhere incredibly awesome, have heaps of fun, then run home?

i've never understood gyms, seems like such a waste of energy. you could get just as cut & fit & at the same time achieve something extremely productive.. why not build a house or something?

muscles built through natural dynamic human movement ie not in the gym with supplements or drugs in my opinion are much more aesthetically pleasing. gym muscles look manufactured. like they've been blown up with a bike pump. theres more to a good body than big muscles, if it's all just pumped up gym muscles & you pay no attention to subtle & dynamic movement it's no good, you lose the positive attributes of the male figure. if you're keen to build muscle i'd recommend doing yoga & some form of active sport as much as you spend time in the gym.

but anyway, a real man doesn't have big fake muscles pumped up by a machine, a real man's body is beautiful because it has been honed by the dedication to his work to provide for his people.

just my thoughts, only worth as much as you want them to be.

for a supposedly open minded community i see lots of judgement

Everyone’s different in what motivates them to get fit or look good. Don’t think it’s fair to say one ways right and the others wrong, or that one ways smart and the others dumb.

I agree with you about naturally built lean definition being better than building bulk muscle from repetitive weight training. But personally I think good on anyone who has the dedication to build massive guns and a big bulky chest. Or if running on the treadmill to burn fat and get lean works better than building things or doing yoga then that’s all good too.

Anyway, I'm staying out of this thread from now on, I have memories of others just like it that got really heavy and personal.

i ain't judging man, whats personal? i'm giving my opinion. i think it's a valid point of view & isn't aimed at anyone in a negative way, just a general range of thoughts. i'm not trying to put anyone down, just trying to contribute. i'm interested in fitness, just coming from a different angle.

that last comment i made in post #15 also isn't meant to be personal, but just a philosophic phrase. i'm not saying working in a gym is dishonorable.. or something, i just think it's something to think about when it comes to this topic. i'm interested in the topic, i think any topic can be more interesting if it's seen from different points of view. i think it's a worthwhile thing to talk about, otherwise i wouldn't post, i'm not trying to troll. i wasn't aware of bitching in other threads

edit: i can see why my post could be construed as snide & cunty & taken personally & i'm sorry if it rubbed people the wrong way, i was actually attempting to say something positive but i don't expect my opinion to be relevant to everyone, or anyone for that matter so you can take it or leave it, but it's not very open minded to get upset or bow out of an interesting conversation just cause someone made a point they thought might be relevant

edit 2: one part in my first post was aimed at thunder, only cause i reckoned he would understand the joke & could take being told running on a treadmill is dumb, because it is ;)

Edited by paradox

Fitness is supposed to be about a healthy and happy lifestyle

where does the hate fit into this, or is it part jealousy

for me, i admire people who take care of themselves, it doesnt have to be muscles, it doesnt have to be anything specific, its really easy to see if someone is healthy and thats what attracts my attention

its not to pick on them, or make fun of, or compare myself to

its to smile and appreciate

why does my brain sometimes start to feel dumb while i'm trying to sweat all over a treadmill?

One possibility would be low grade hyponatremia caused by sweating out salt when you only just have enough.

Progression of symptoms is typically: tired > weak and tired > weak and tired and dumb > weak, tired dumb and sick > > > coma > death

Most people get too much salt, so this wouldnt apply to them, but hyponatremia happens in some.

for a supposedly open minded community i see lots of judgement

Open minded doesnt mean no judgements, it means willingness to re-evaluate judgements.

The only thing I don't like about the 'fitness' industry is the lies and hypocrisy when it comes to the topic of drugs. There are so many people selling products, be it equipment, supplements, or programmes, without mentioning that the single most important product used by their models to build their physique are illegal drugs.

This is the same in sport. I hesitate to claim that almost every elite athlete is using banned substances, but it's certainly a lot more prevalent than people would like to think. However, that is the publics fault because it is something no one can admit to without being kicked out and having their medals taken away. But it gives viewers unrealistic expectations of what they can achieve without drugs. Personally, I think drugs are great for sport. In every way, top athletes are pushing the limits of what the body can do, and the only reason so many drugs are banned is the same reason that recreational drugs are illegal...bigotry. There is no fundamental reason why drugs should be any different to any of the other things that athletes do to get an edge, like shaving hair off their body, lifting weights, wearing certain clothes, or using a hyperbaric chamber.

And then there's movie and TV stars. Less of a reason to lie than athletes, but I guess they still might be jeopordising their career by publicly admitting to doing the same thing everyone does. When Hugh Jackman is asked how he got huge for a role in six weeks, and he says he ate chicken, I'd much rather he just be honest. Again, it gives people unrealistic expectations about what they can achieve. People know that professional bodybuilders use anabolic steroids, but they don't realise that even a moderately muscular physique, obtained in a short period of time with minimal fat gain, requires similar 'enhancement'.

I personally don't mind some muscular physiques. I think Arnie looked great in his prime. Todays bodybuilders who use lots of human growth hormone, like Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler, look silly to me. Everyone's taste is different. Then there is overuse of synthol or similar injectables. A lot of bodybuilders use it to straighten out assymetries, and that makes perfect sense, but then there are people who use it as a substitute for getting in the gym and doing the work. They think they are fooling people. I don't have a problem with someone thinking it looks good and being honest about it, but a lot of people seriously think people are fooled into thinking there's no synthol in their muscles, when it's sooooooo damn clear.

There is a terrible, terrible show called "The Doctors", which some people may be be familiar with. They had a guy on who had, I think, the Guiness world record for biggest arms. They were pumped up with something like synthol to look like balloons, and he got on the show and said, "They test me and found no steroids". And then the hosts proceed to explain how amazing it is what the body can do with exercise. This seems totally irresponsible to me, and they are either willfully misleading their audience, or they're completely ignorant about the topic they're doing a show about. They are supposedly doctors for f*%&'s sake.

ETA: found the segment

still makes me angry

Edited by ballzac
typos
  • Like 1

Yeah sport has become a tactical battle between chemists and drug testers these days. Throw in a few lawyers and money from gambling into the mix and it's become quite farcical really.

Just look at the Roosters NRL team, they are mostly 6 foot plus, built like sherman tanks and they can run all day seemingly without fatigue. I know from time spent racing pushbikes, if a big man shows above average stamina then alarm bells should start to ring- they simply have too much tissue to feed oxygen and glycogen. They are either blood doping or using some form of chemical enhancement. There are a few exceptions but they are a very rare case.

The Roosters even got caught using HGH (which builds big muscles and increases stamina) but they blamed it on a company in their employ so apparently that's OK. If they had it in their blood they should be penalised & suspended before they can cash in on grand final win.

where does the hate fit into this

i'm not sure man

I personally don't mind some muscular physiques. I think Arnie looked great in his prime....Everyone's taste is different.

yeah, i've always been one to admire.. say, Bruce Lee over Arnie. In the same way my vision of a cool male role model would be a ninja or martial artist a lot more so than a wrestler or heavy weight boxer, Spiderman over Hulk, speed & agility over brute force, you get the idea. thats just me

sylvester stallone in Rambo 1 is my ideal body type, he looked mega fit and awesome. But by Rambo 3 he looks unnatural and kinda overweight (probably because he had to eat so much and lost that cut slim waist), imo.

Edited by SunChaser